Falcons step on the gas with Aldrick Robinson

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/21748/falcons-step-on-the-gas-with-aldrick-robinson

ATLANTA -- To Mohamed Sanu, it was no surprise to see Atlanta Falcons teammate Aldrick Robinson blaze down the field for a pair of explosive plays against the Washington Redskins Thursday night.

It's become routine this preseason.

``He's just a phenomenal player,'' Sanu said of his fellow receiver. ``He came in and seemed a little tentative. But now, he's just aggressive and showing aggressive hands. He has tremendous speed. We all call him ``gas'' because he's got straight gas.''

We'll see what Robinson has in the tank the rest of the preseason. The former Washington Redskin, who wasn't on a regular-season roster last season, definitely opened eyes with his big-play ability. He had catches of 68 and 47 yards from Matt Schaub to set up a touchdown and field goal, respectively. Robinson actually held up for the ball on the 47-yarder and might have scored had he caught it in stride. On the 68-yarder, Robinson came back for ball, jumped up in front of the defender, then picked up another 20-plus yards after the catch.

``He's one of those guys who came in ready to perform during camp,'' receiver Justin Hardy said of Robinson. ``You saw him stretch the field twice. That's something that's big for the team. We've got Julio [Jones], and we've got him now. It could be real big.''

Jones was the one who insisted Robinson could be a big-play threat for the Falcons this season as the fourth receiver. Robinson backed his teammates words Thursday, although it's way too early to say what type of impact he'll have. Anything could happen between now and the actual determination of the 53-man roster. Robinson, a former sixth-round pick, was cut by the Redskins twice and once by the Ravens last season. He was on the practice squad for both teams.

For the moment, Robinson also backed the words of his former teammate Trent Williams, who bet other Redskins that Robinson would go deep on them Thursday night.

``It was big for me,'' said Robinson, who finished with three catches for 118 yards while being targeted a team-high five times. ``I've been making a lot of big plays down the field at practice. It was good to transition into the game.

``I talked to [the Redskins] before the game. They already knew that I was having a good camp. I told them I was going deep on them. ... T. Williams told a couple guys I was going to go deep, so I made him look good tonight.''

Now Robinson just has to keep his foot on the gas.

I know it is extremely early - but I gotta think Aldrick Robinson makes this team as WR#4

1) Julio Jones

2) Mohammad Sanu

3) Justin Hardy

4) Aldrick Robinson

Assuming I am right and those are the 4, that leaves Eric Weems, Nick Williams, Devin Fuller and the Ark State guy that returned one for a TD vying for one spot (maybe two).

My guess is Falcons carry 6 receivers and only one guy between Weems/NickWill and one between Devin Fuller/Ark State guy makes it.   

7 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I know it is extremely early - but I gotta think Aldrick Robinson makes this team as WR#4

1) Julio Jones

2) Mohammad Sanu

3) Justin Hardy

4) Aldrick Robinson

Assuming I am right and those are the 4, that leaves Eric Weems, Nick Williams, Devin Fuller and the Ark State guy that returned one for a TD vying for one spot (maybe two).

My guess is Falcons carry 6 receivers and only one guy between Weems/NickWill and one between Devin Fuller/Ark State guy makes it.   

That would be my guess so far.

I had already decided this is the most talented, deepest team the Falcons have ever had based on the "name" FA players and quality draft picks over the last two seasons. Little did I know there were guys like Robinson and McKissic on the roster now who also are capable of making a huge impact this season and going forward. It's a helluva great time to be a Falcon fan.

Weems will make the team because of his leadership on STs, and is a reliable fallback as PR/KR if one of the other guys fails. That means Nick Williams will be looking for work elsewhere, and the last spot will come down to a battle between Fuller/McKissic. My guess is Fuller for the last spot. If McKissic makes a spot on the team for himself, it will be as a 7th WR (which would mean only one of Ward/Gray/Wilds will make the team).

The Falcons are gifted with a lot of quality WRs this year.