Forcing the Ball to Julio

Don't get me wrong, I understand why we do it...the guy is a beast and can make plays with 3 guys surrounding him..what I don't understand is why don't we try and benefit from him being constantly covered by 2 or even 3 guys?

When thinking about this, I remembered a play back with Drew Davis that resulted in a touchdown simply because of Julio's presence

Here's the video and I hope that we take advantage of this in the future

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000086148/Matt-Ryan-s-15-yard-touchdown-pass

7 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

We do...Matt Ryan competed 407 passes last year and 136 went to Julio.  That's quite a few passes that didn't, despite the narrative that we throw to him almost all of the time.

As much as it looks like we spread the ball around, we really don't... Or at least not enough. There is no need to throw the ball to Julio with 3 defenders on him.

1 minute ago, krammmit said:

As much as it looks like we spread the ball around, we really don't... Or at least not enough. There is no need to throw the ball to Julio with 3 defenders on him.

To me, it's kind of the opposite.  It seems like everyone thinks we force it to Julio all the time, and I think we use him like you should use a super-stud WR.  Any good examples of us throwing into triple coverage?

Julio has a great catch radius and is always close to breaking the game open, even when he's  double covered. As first options go, he is hella good. Forcing it to him is a safer play Ryan's mind throwing to a less proven receiver. This goes back to when Julio, Roddy, and Gonzo were options #1, 1a, and 1b. He trusted them catch the ball, so other options were seemingly not considered.

12 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

To me, it's kind of the opposite.  It seems like everyone thinks we force it to Julio all the time, and I think we use him like you should use a super-stud WR.  Any good examples of us throwing into triple coverage?

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/11/13/9720306/tackling-common-complaints-surrounding-atlantas-offense

watch the video and you can see 3 guys going to Julio..that's what I'm talking about taking advantage of..it's like if Julio's route doesn't work out, panic and throw it somewhere!!...granted we didn't throw it to him that time but thinking we don't throw to him while triple covered is just wrong

10 minutes ago, Captain Insano said:

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/11/13/9720306/tackling-common-complaints-surrounding-atlantas-offense

watch the video and you can see 3 guys going to Julio..that's what I'm talking about taking advantage of..it's like if Julio's route doesn't work out, panic and throw it somewhere!!...granted we didn't throw it to him that time but thinking we don't throw to him while triple covered is just wrong

Yeah, Julio was triple covered, and he threw it to Roddy and it was picked.  That doesn't mean it has anything to do with forcing it to Julio.

I was just showing you that he does get triple covered and we need to take advantage of that..it's 3 on 1..someone else should be open..but saying we didn't force it to Julio is reaching..just tonight on 3rd down, he was tightly double covered and we try to force it..go through progressions and spread the dang ball around

8 minutes ago, Captain Insano said:

I was just showing you that he does get triple covered and we need to take advantage of that..it's 3 on 1..someone else should be open..but saying we didn't force it to Julio is reaching..just tonight on 3rd down, he was tightly double covered and we try to force it..go through progressions and spread the dang ball around

That actually looked like Julio read the coverage different from Matt on an option route...and was Ryan threading the needle nicely.

EDIT: and Imo, you get the ball in your playmaker's hands come **** or high water. 

Edited by Wjcorner

2 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

That actually looked like Julio read the coverage different from Matt on an option route...and was Ryan threading the needle nicely.

EDIT: and Imo, you get the ball in your playmaker's hands come **** or high water. 

I'm all for getting the ball into Julio's hands..by far, my favorite player on the team..what I'm saying is exactly what the video in the start of the thread shows...everyone knows Julio is gonna get the ball..use that against teams like they did on that play..all 3 guys covering that side of the field bit bc they knew what Julio is capable of just to have Davis catch a TD in the back of the endzone

i want to say that play worked a few times that year simply bc of the fake screen to Julio

Just now, Captain Insano said:

I'm all for getting the ball into Julio's hands..by far, my favorite player on the team..what I'm saying is exactly what the video in the start of the thread shows...everyone knows Julio is gonna get the ball..use that against teams like they did on that play..all 3 guys covering that side of the field bit bc they knew what Julio is capable of just to have Davis catch a TD in the back of the endzone

i want to say that play worked a few times that year simply bc of the fake screen to Julio

They've used Julio as a decoy before. But that's not gonna be his primary job. 

7 hours ago, Wjcorner said:

Is the forced INT the H3LL or the High water?

JJ was the Most Targeted receiver in the league last year by 10 passes.  BTW, interceptions were up for MR2 last year.  At what point does it go from getting the ball to your playmaker to spreading the ball to "other" NFL caliber receivers?

Julio is the new Gonzalez for Ryan. Its like he is still making no more than two reads. Sanu i admit, looked like a baller yesterday.  With his height and ability to shield defenders, going forward, there should be no reason that Matt can't get the ball to him with Julio being doubled by the defense...

8 minutes ago, me@MyHouse said:

Is the forced INT the H3LL or the High water?

JJ was the Most Targeted receiver in the league last year by 10 passes.  BTW, interceptions were up for MR2 last year.  At what point does it go from getting the ball to your playmaker to spreading the ball to "other" NFL caliber receivers?

Exactly...

4 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Julio is the new Gonzalez for Ryan. Its like he is still making no more than two reads. Sanu i admit, looked like a baller yesterday.  With his height and ability to shield defenders, going forward, there should be no reason that Matt can't get the ball to him with Julio being doubled by the defense...

I mean he did, but Sanu was clearly interfered with...but continue on.

9 hours ago, Captain Insano said:

Don't get me wrong, I understand why we do it...the guy is a beast and can make plays with 3 guys surrounding him..what I don't understand is why don't we try and benefit from him being constantly covered by 2 or even 3 guys?

When thinking about this, I remembered a play back with Drew Davis that resulted in a touchdown simply because of Julio's presence

Here's the video and I hope that we take advantage of this in the future

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000086148/Matt-Ryan-s-15-yard-touchdown-pass

Julio is a diva and demands he gets all the passes.  Cut him now Quinn.