The Rock's impressions of preseason game 1

The Rock

Here's my impressions of some players. 

OFFENSE

Matt Ryan played poorly with a pair of errant passes and back to back 3 and outs, BUT its probably just rust, look for him to bounce back next game. 

Devonta Freeman played like his usual self showing his shiftyness and burst. He did have a brain fart and drop an open touch down pass, but other than that he's in midseason form. 

Tevin Coleman showed off his speed in limited action but with more carries coming his way you can expect a breakout year. 

Julio didn't catch a pass :'( Julio was thrown at twice with one route being wide open and the other route with tight coverage, but errant passes were made. 

Sanu was sure handed on a couple of catches and looks to compliment Julio well. He blocked well in the run game too.

Aldrick Robinson was the star of the offense. He had two big plays that showed off his deep threat ability. He can definitely stretch the defense and open the field for Julio. 

Tamme/Hooper: There was nothing that stood out to me besides an overthrown pass that went off Hooper's finger tips. 

The Oline (1st & 2nd team) looked solid for the most part, there were a couple plays where pressure can up the middle but otherwise it looked solid. 

DEFENSE

Vic Beasley had some good pressure on a couple plays and could of had 2 sacks but he was held and the offensive tackle was rightfully called for holding. He did however have a few plays were he was easily blocked so he still needs work. Also he left the game multiple times with an injury and it had me holding my breath but he returned to the game later. 

Weatherspoon  is BACK!!!! Made a big hit in limited action and looked fast running around. 

Worrilow looked solid and made some nice tackles on defense and special teams. I'm not worried about him. 

Deion Jones looked terrific, he made some hard hits and was flying around all game. He got me excited! Expect to see him in nickel packages more than Worrilow. 

Devondre Campbell looked great as well, he made a number of plays including 3 in a row. He looks very comfortable out there which has pleasantly surprised me since he was so raw coming out of college. I was expecting a steep learning curve for him but I think Quinn's defense of "Run and Hit" suits him perfectly. 

Brooks Reed Tyler Starr was unfortunately a ghost again, if it wasn't for his hair I probably thought he was cut. I hope he turns it around fast. 

Trufant was good as usual and the same for Alford.

C.J. Goodwin played well and was around the ball a lot. 

King also played well but he did get beat by Vernon Davis but fortunately Davis dropped the ball. 

Nordly Capi is someone to keep an eye on, he was shooting off the ball with Vic Beasley quickness and creating pressure multiple times. He ended up getting a sack because he was unblocked but you could tell he has potential for making the 53 man roster. 

Honorable Mention J.D McKissic had a great kick return and looks dangerous with the ball in his hands, more so than Devin Fuller, but McKissic also dropped a open pass. 

Overall the defense looks fast. The offense had some hiccups early but settled in. Let me know if anything stood out to you that I missed. RISE UP!

EDIT: Tyler Starr not Brooks Reed

Edited by The Rock

23 minutes ago, The Rock said:

Brooks Reed was unfortunately a ghost again, if it wasn't for his hair I probably thought he was cut. I hope he turns it around fast. 

Somethings wrong with this part. I was in the live game thread (wasn't watching the game as I was still at work) and people were saying he was getting pressure early. You mention his hair but, he cut it all off so, maybe you were focusing on Star. Unless Reed wore a wig today...

other than that, great post

4 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

Somethings wrong with this part. I was in the live game thread (wasn't watching the game as I was still at work) and people were saying he was getting pressure early. You mention his hair but, he cut it all off so, maybe you were focusing on Star. Unless Reed wore a wig today...

You are right, I mean't Starr, he was the one that did not shed his block and got dragged into the endzone on the Redskins touch down. They were look-a-likes last year and I confused them. 

Good write up but you downplayed Worrilow just a little bit.

Of the starters he seemed to be one of the few that showed up, including special teams.

Capi was amazing. He only got mentioned when he had the unblocked sack, but the guy brought serious pressure when given the chance.

Goodwin and King both looked solid.

Clayborn looked good as well.

4 minutes ago, MagnusXXIII said:

Also ... I don't what it is about Beasley that refs just let him get tackled.

He has that hempish feel to him I guess that he or others will  just say ... thats cool  ... 

I think he needs to get a little chippy when that happens. You know borderline unsportsmanlike. If he does it right he'll get the Refs looking his way.

27 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

It was Tyler Starr the other poster must have been referring to. Not Reed. Both looked better but Reed as a rotational first stringer.

11 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

If they did, then my mistake. Could have sworn I saw a tweet that said they were both going to be held out tonight, and don't recall them on the field.

They were, but not for long.  It's all good though man.

Not to rub it in, but here's proof...

2nd and 16 at WSH 29

(10:58 - 1st) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short right to D.Jackson to WAS 34 for 5 yards (D.Trufant)

15 hours ago, MagnusXXIII said:

It was Tyler Starr the other poster must have been referring to. Not Reed. Both looked better but Reed as a rotational first stringer.

On a side note, what's up with our boy Sharrod? He looks like he's struggling to take it all in. I think he'll still have an NFL career but, after last night I'm wondering if it's going to be with us. 

1 hour ago, The O.D.B said:

On a side note, what's up with our boy Sharrod? He looks like he's struggling to take it all in. I think he'll still have an NFL career but, after last night I'm wondering if it's going to be with us. 

I saw him out there quite a bit with the third string defense, but I didn't see him make any plays.  He and Parms both looked pretty unimpressive at safety.

1 minute ago, The O.D.B said:

Yeah, I noticed Parms looking meh as well. 

With Godfrey's retirement, I can't imagine we keep 5 safeties on the final roster like last year.  It's probably more likely that we keep 6 cornerbacks instead, since I have a feeling both Poole and Goodwin will crack the Final 53.

So something like:

CB1: Trufant, King
CB2: Alford, Poole
CB3: Collins, Goodwin

FS: Allen, Therezie
SS: Neal, Ishmael

And then we'll probably keep one or two secondary guys around on the practice squad.  I'm rooting for Neasman, but he's got to show better moving forward.