Preseason Game 1 Notes and MVPs

Offense: 

Brandon Wilds is gonna be our #3 RB if he continues playing this way 

Aldrick Robinson is going to make this team unless something awful happens

Devin Fuller will probably be on the practice squad

We all love Weems but our WR core seems strong... he may be on the bubble

The Matt Ryan complaining is absurd, and both Schaub and Renfree looked like solid backups

TeCo and Free are an amazing duo and Wilds as 3 could be incredible. 

Defense: 

De'Vondre Campbell & Deion Jones are the Alf and Truf of LBs... barring anything crazy they will be locking it down for years

Akeem King and CJ Goodwin will likely make the roster

Therezie didn't impress me

Cory Johnson could be a sneaky DT to make the 53, at minimum will be PS

McLennan was meh

Nordly Capi looks good

Beasley is gonna go OFF this year

Spoon looks like Spoon again. He picked up an RB and powerbombed their *** for a loss

ST: 

JD McKissic NEEDS to be our returner. I am more than OK with dropping Weems if he keeps it up.

Bryant is our kicker this yr

______

MVPs:

Robinson, Wilds, Campbell, Jones, McKissic

Special Mention: SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNN!!!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A. Robinson definitely stood out, he got the most of each opportunity. D. Jones and D. Campbell played well, Jones got man handled on a few and Campbell over pursued bad on one... Good showing for the rooks overall. Schaub was on point with the exception of 1 pass. Wilds body type and running style set him apart but I'll wait to see what Gray can do.

2 minutes ago, xiv_T_E_C_O_ said:

A. Robinson definitely stood out, he got the most of each opportunity. D. Jones and D. Campbell played well, Jones got man handled on a few and Campbell over pursued bad on one... Good showing for the rooks overall. Schaub was on point with the exception of 1 pass. Wilds body type and running style set him apart but I'll wait to see what Gray can do.

Spot on.  I also liked what I saw from Shede tonight and of course McKissic.  

Just now, Reggie_Kelly said:

I was more impressed with Campbell than Jones.

So was I, watching it live. After re-watching and focusing on them individually, Debo looked real good as well. One play in particular stands out where the Skins ran a screen, Debo shed a block by the Olineman while running to the sideline, then stopped the RB after a 4 yard gain. If Worr was on the field that was 100% a 30+ yard gain easy - he wouldn't have been able to shed the lineman, and even if the lineman fell down and never got a block- Worr wouldn't have had the speed to get over to the RB. So stoked to get him off the field 

Campbell and Jones looked real good. I loved what I saw from Spoon too as well. Vic looks like lightning and still getting held. Hope he learns how to use his hands better to disengage. Goodwin is very raw but looks like a football player period. King might have some potential as well.

I liked Wilds running I would like to see him follow up next week. Two young guys on the d-line stood out to me in the second half, #91 and #96. #91 was in a couple plays including a sack and #96 looked super fast rushing from the Leo. Robinson looks like the WR version of Tone Smith.

Hope Ryan looks as comfortable as Schaub here next week, he wasn't very inspiring to say the least. Free still looks like Scrappy Doo I think he repeats his success last year. Worrilow actually looked decent as well, LBs might actually be a strength as I forgot all about Phil Whil. Nice to see some good depth. Overall exciting is building for me about the team this year. And of course Mc-Kiss-It-Goodbye looks great to quote a poster in the game thread 

Just now, Dirtybird56 said:

So was I, watching it live. After re-watching and focusing on them individually, Debo looked real good as well. One play in particular stands out where the Skins ran a screen, Debo shed a block by the Olineman while running to the sideline, then stopped the RB after a 4 yard gain. If Worr was on the field that was 100% a 30+ yard gain easy - he wouldn't have been able to shed the lineman, and even if the lineman fell down and never got a block- Worr wouldn't have had the speed to get over to the RB. So stoked to get him off the field 

yes, you nailed it, was a great play. But have to admit Worrilow looks good on kickoff coverage 

15 minutes ago, Reggie_Kelly said:

I thought Worrilow looked decent.. but im not sure Jones will beat him out for the MLB spot.

Worrilow looked good enough that I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps his starting spot. 

Is he still a team cpt? Can a cpt be a backup? 

I dunno... but I think our best LB corps is: Campbell/Worrilow/Spoon, with Jones in for Worrilow on obvious passing plays. 

2 hours ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

Worrilow looked good enough that I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps his starting spot. 

Is he still a team cpt? Can a cpt be a backup? 

I dunno... but I think our best LB corps is: Campbell/Worrilow/Spoon, with Jones in for Worrilow on obvious passing plays. 

Jones gets to the open lanes way faster than Worrilow

I was at the game and am watching it again since its on NFL network. Jeez man Vic got a raw deal. I was at the game and really paying attention to the linebackers and didn't see how bad he was getting held. I was thinking it was a lackluster performance but if it wasn't for holding he would have been in the QBs face consistently and would have had a sack of two.

Vic, Deion, Campbell, Keanu, Neal, and Tru have the potential to anchor our defense for many years.

Edited by Colin_Pernett