De’Vondre Campbell: A starter?

What’s more crazy? De’Vondre Campbell’s hair, or the chance that he may take up one of the starting Linebacker positions this season? Both are crazy. However, Campbell being acampstarter is becoming a realistic possibility. The Falcons desperately need speed on defense and Campbell provides that. Coming out of High School, Campbell’s speed was obvious. He even ran a 200 meter race against, Buffalo Bills Wide Receiver and former fourth overall pick, Sammy Watkins. According to 247 sports scouting, Campbell outweighed Watkins by over 30 pounds, and was taller by 3-4 inches. Campbell lost by half a second. So how could Campbell’s speed translate into making plays in the NFL? Training camp has already been a huge indicator, according to Tevin Coleman.

“I didn’t expect him to be that fast,” Coleman said. “You have to set him up more. You have to stop, give him a head fake to freeze him to get by him. Otherwise, with a defender who is not as fast, you can just run by them.”

This quote came after a play in which Campbell deflected a pass thrown to Coleman. Campbell gained inside position because he turned his hips quickly and drove to the ball. These are movements that some defensive backs haven’t perfected. There are many fast Defensive Backs in the NFL, but speed doesn’t always mean success. Campbell’s ability to react quickly and diagnose a play is something we haven’t seen from Falcons linebackers in a long time.

CampbellINT_0.gif

As you can see here above, it isn’t pure fandom to be optimistic about Campbell in coverage. Though this is one play, it gives reason for Falcons fans to be comfortable with his reactions and football I.Q.

Coleman wasn’t the only Falcon that raved about Campbell’s coverage. Quarterback Matt Ryan also praised the fourth-round pick:
“I mean De’Vondre, he’s an athletic guy and he’s long,” Quarterback Matt Ryan said. “Big, athletic, fast, good change of direction. He’s done a great job coming in here as a rookie. … At linebacker, he looked like a (defensive back) playing that ball in the air.”

Now of course its training camp and teammates will support teammates. But multiple fans on social media have demonstrated their optimism surrounding Campbell’s potential. In recent years, Falcons fans have lacked any optimism about our linebacker corps. That’s something Falcons fans haven’t had in a while, optimism about a draft, and Linebackers. This is only practice. However, it’s becoming almost impossible to ignore the potential contribution of this extremely athletic but extremely promising rookie.
Oh, his hair is pretty crazy too.

25 minutes ago, IamFRESCO1 said:

What’s more crazy? De’Vondre Campbell’s hair, or the chance that he may take up one of the starting Linebacker positions this season? Both are crazy. However, Campbell being acampstarter is becoming a realistic possibility. The Falcons desperately need speed on defense and Campbell provides that. Coming out of High School, Campbell’s speed was obvious. He even ran a 200 meter race against, Buffalo Bills Wide Receiver and former fourth overall pick, Sammy Watkins. According to 247 sports scouting, Campbell outweighed Watkins by over 30 pounds, and was taller by 3-4 inches. Campbell lost by half a second. So how could Campbell’s speed translate into making plays in the NFL? Training camp has already been a huge indicator, according to Tevin Coleman.

“I didn’t expect him to be that fast,” Coleman said. “You have to set him up more. You have to stop, give him a head fake to freeze him to get by him. Otherwise, with a defender who is not as fast, you can just run by them.”

This quote came after a play in which Campbell deflected a pass thrown to Coleman. Campbell gained inside position because he turned his hips quickly and drove to the ball. These are movements that some defensive backs haven’t perfected. There are many fast Defensive Backs in the NFL, but speed doesn’t always mean success. Campbell’s ability to react quickly and diagnose a play is something we haven’t seen from Falcons linebackers in a long time.

CampbellINT_0.gif

As you can see here above, it isn’t pure fandom to be optimistic about Campbell in coverage. Though this is one play, it gives reason for Falcons fans to be comfortable with his reactions and football I.Q.

Coleman wasn’t the only Falcon that raved about Campbell’s coverage. Quarterback Matt Ryan also praised the fourth-round pick:
“I mean De’Vondre, he’s an athletic guy and he’s long,” Quarterback Matt Ryan said. “Big, athletic, fast, good change of direction. He’s done a great job coming in here as a rookie. … At linebacker, he looked like a (defensive back) playing that ball in the air.”

Now of course its training camp and teammates will support teammates. But multiple fans on social media have demonstrated their optimism surrounding Campbell’s potential. In recent years, Falcons fans have lacked any optimism about our linebacker corps. That’s something Falcons fans haven’t had in a while, optimism about a draft, and Linebackers. This is only practice. However, it’s becoming almost impossible to ignore the potential contribution of this extremely athletic but extremely promising rookie.

While I love the play on the ball, it was a terrible throw by the qb being under pressure...if he would've led the ball to #1 he would've had a 5 or 6 yard gain...love his awareness on the play but I'm not so sure that's the best clip for showing off his ability to cover a rb out of the backfield

7 hours ago, IamFRESCO1 said:

CampbellINT_0.gif

Loving this but I'm curious wasn't the knock on him  (according to his scouting report back in the spring) was he had very poor football instincts.  Everything I've have heard of him though screams the polar opposite.

7 hours ago, Captain Insano said:

While I love the play on the ball, it was a terrible throw by the qb being under pressure...if he would've led the ball to #1 he would've had a 5 or 6 yard gain...love his awareness on the play but I'm not so sure that's the best clip for showing off his ability to cover a rb out of the backfield

That play had nothing to do with diagnostics and everything to do with his height, length, and athleticism. He capitalized off the QB's mistake (Forced by the pass rush) and was able to make a play on the ball. Best thing about Quinn is his experience with DB's and how that helps with scouting an LB's coverage potential. Campbell has coverage skills and I think that would help make him a star. I seriously think he's the next Karlos Dansby.

4 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Loving this but I'm curious wasn't the knock on him  (according to his scouting report back in the spring) was he had very poor football instincts.  Everything I've have heard of him though screams the polar opposite.

Exactly.

None of the 'experts' liked any of our draft picks from what I've gone back and read. Which is why come gameday, I believe we're going to surprise a lot of people

3 hours ago, falconidae said:

Don't care who "starts" so much as who plays more snaps. Think that Campbell may be the starter in the nickel already,and will earn more and more snaps as the season goes on.

This makes sense because spoons awareness against the run is thru the roof and Campbell is still gaining run awareness. Spoon may start in base but Campbell in nickel for sure. 

On 8/8/2016 at 10:55 PM, Captain Insano said:

Right! 

Cause in the NFL, thats a 1st down if not TD. 

THEY SAY  he had good change of but he looks stiff that clip.