The Matt Ryan Debate and Solution.

13879457_10202247571147721_2374088071895280573_n.jpg

I give you the reaction every Falcons Fan makes when the subject is brought up....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Qb is the bread and butter of a team. Without one you are sure to fail for years ( Ask the browns :troll:). The long debate over keeping a "Vet QB who is ageing v.s. Drafting a Rookie who is unproven" is one that always shakes the core of fan base and franchise. Super Bowls are won and lost over a single pass or play of a QB. So on this same topic we find ourselves facing the inevitable truth in the near future, even if that is years from now, that Matt Ryan won't always be a Falcon. At some point, whether we like it or cast spells of denial to not talk about it, We will need to get a new QB. At least somebody to groom.

Disclaimer ~ I wanted to debate not hate on Matt Ryan here! 

Now here is the thing, and the reason I made this post. Nobody here, unless you are "swifting", will argue that Matt hasn't been a great Falcons QB. He's done a lot for us and we all love having him here. BUT! Matt is showing signs of decline. DON'T COME AT ME WITH THAT "PRACTICE INT DON'T COUNT" B.S OR "THIS IS YEAR ONE IN SHANNY'S SYSTEM" ETC....... I see it, you see it, and the people around the league see it. He is ageing and we have no plan except letting his ride into the sunset and find a new QB from the Millions AND Millions of QB's out there for a Tom Brady type. Wishful thinking is not the answer here.

Now hold on. It's not that kind of post. I have two plans.

PLAN #1

But what if I told you there was a guy.............Who could be the answer.........

maxresdefault.jpg

Let's say we call up the Browns after the RGIII dumpster fire and offer Matt as the guy to give them hope in 2017. This would also mean picks and money ( not like the brown will use then well enough anyways). Then take Watson #1 overall. Leaving us in prime position for a young cheep stud to learn the game while our defense grows into a monster. As a Clemson homer I would die. He would do well in the Shanny system and become the next Russel Wilson in my eyes.

OR PLAN #2 

luke-falk.jpe

Luke Falk, QB, Washington State 
Height: 6-4. Weight: 205.  Junior this year.

Falk plays in a college spread offense, but he puts up big totals of yards and points. In 2015, Falk completed 69 percent of his passes for 4,561 yards with 38 touchdowns and eight interceptions. He is a stay in the pocket kinda guy. Makes his reads and throws DEEP. He only runs if the first down is close or the pocket breaks down to a point he needs to avoid the sack. Rounds 2-3 would be the range to take him after we take more defense. We could groom him for a few years and eventually lat him take over Matt's spot in the future.

Matt's stats ( Kinda rhymes ) 

2015 stats ~ 21 Td's / 16 INT's / 4591 yards

This is not to say he is a bad QB, and some of this comes from the defense giving up lots of points too. You can't out gun peeps all day. We as fans are all hopeful for 2016 and a better season (I know I am). So after all that here is the deal. Either way we would get a guy that can give us hope for the future. Now this is not to say we NEEEEEED to get a QB now, but while we are building this team under Dan Quinn's style of Defensive we should keep in mind that time is ticking. Matt is only an injury away from not contributing, and I don't like the back-up options.

What say you? What are your thoughts on the QB situation for the future? Who would you like to see the Falcons pick up or draft? What are your thoughts on Matt getting us to a Superbowl?

Edited by FalconsFan#241

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan is good enough to win the super bowl. So the easiest plan is to build a team around Ryan's strengths. Replacing Ryan doesn't make the Falcons super bowl contenders. Quarterbacks don't win championships, teams do. Quarterbacks are however the leader of the team. Ryan is the leader of this team. Replacing him means you have to build to THAT QBs strengths and get him guys who love playing around him. That new QB has to earn the locker rooms respect as the leader of the team. Something Ryan has already done. Very risky move to trade Ryan and start from scratch. Frankly stupid actually. People who point the finger at Ryan don't look at football as a team sport. They look at it as a "QB vs QB" situation. They see the QB and don't realize that the team has 21 other starters on it. If TD and Quinn can build a great defense, and get an O-line to protect Ryan, they are super bowl contenders. Ryan doesn't HAVE to be Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning to win the big game. That's what people don't understand 

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Ryan is good enough to win the super bowl. So the easiest plan is to build a team around Ryan's strengths. Replacing Ryan doesn't make the Falcons super bowl contenders. Quarterbacks don't win championships, teams do. Quarterbacks are however the leader of the team. Ryan is the leader of this team. Replacing him means you have to build to THAT QBs strengths and get him guys who love playing around him. That new QB has to earn the locker rooms respect as the leader of the team. Something Ryan has already done. Very risky move to trade Ryan and start from scratch. Frankly stupid actually. People who point the finger at Ryan don't look at football as a team sport. They look at it as a "QB vs QB" situation. They see the QB and don't realize that the team has 21 other starters on it. If TD and Quinn can build a great defense, and get an O-line to protect Ryan, they are super bowl contenders. Ryan doesn't HAVE to be Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning to win the big game. That's what people don't understand 

Defiantly how I've felt. Great post 

I haven't given up on Matt Ryan yet. And I think he can lead us to a SB before all is said and done. Could you even imagine the implosion of this fanbase if we actually did a trade like this and they turned out to be giant busts? I'm no homer and I don't think Ryan is the GOAT. But he is good, and good can be pretty hard to find.

Edited by TheFalconRises

Just now, TheFalconRises said:

I haven't given up on Matt Ryan yet. And I think he can lead us to a SB before all is said and done. Could you even imagine the implosion of this fanbase if we actually did a trade like this and they turned out to be giant busts? I'm no homer and I don't think Ryan is the GOAT. But he is good, and it's good can be pretty hard to find.

Yea and having a "good" not "great" QB is definitely enough to win a super bowl. It's the ultimate team game. 

Geez.  this whole Ryan debate gets so old.  Ryan is the best QB this franchise has ever had.  With the exception of a few teams out there, Ryan is better than most other QB's that are out there when you look at the totality of his career.  Yes, Ryan had a down year last year.  Yes, there were too many turnovers.  But Ryan has done what he has without the benefit of a stellar oline or a very good defense.  His INT's last year where a product of a poor interior line, marginal defense and only having one NFL caliber starting WR.  Oh yeah, he was running a new offense that was radically different then anything he has ever been in before.

These comparisons to other QB's is mind numbing because unless both QB's played for the same team, behind the same line, with the same set of WR and defense to help them out, there it is really hard to compare.  Ryan's INT's last year were caused by a number of things, like the WR running the wrong routes, and not being able to step into the pocket, or being pressured very quickly, or dropped balls by the WR, or not having the timing down with the offense, or just plain old bad judgement.  The fact is, the first five years of ryan's career when we had an decent oline and an okay defense and a couple of good WR, Ryan excelled.  People forget here that since '08 our Oline, defense, running game and WR's have been deteriorating since '08.  People forget that in 2012 our defense was not good, running game was putrid and oline was bad, but we almost got to the superbowl.

Matt won't have to become a top 5 QB for this team to get to the SB and win. He needs weapons and he needs an OL to give him just a little bit of time and he will march up and down the field all day long for you. Well, he now has the OL and the weapons, he'sjust got to get Shanahan's system down, and odds are huge that he will.

I don't think there's any rush in finding his replacement either. No need to draft and start grooming somebody before 2019 at the earliest.

I will only bother looking for another guy when Ryan really falls off the clif.

To me he's had a couple of down years in his 8 so far.QB's do and there are number of reasons why.Unfortunately these are the ones that get magnified.Very few fans see how well Ryan actually played in those 13/14 seasons due to many of the mentioned.

To me Ryan still has at least 4-5 seasons left in him.Yes he will need some help but I'm not willing to go looking for another guy just yet when there's still plenty of juice to squeeze.

This post reminds me of the reporter asking Belichick is there a QB controversy after the Kansas City game.

lastjoyousalpinegoat.gif?w=640&h=448

The problem is not Matt it's Shanahan and his reluctance to let Matt be himself period. Suggesting we draft a QB next year is ludicrous get rid of Shanahan and there's your answer.

Matt needs to run this offense with more no huddle, less boot legs and get rid of the plays with no audible. He's ranked 15th all time with comeback wins and until Shanahan (he won't) let's Matt be himself the team and the fans will suffer as well as his TD/INT ratio. This clown needs to go somewhere else and ****up a QB not ours.

Here is the honest truth about Ryan and we wont forget 2008 ROY 2010 Pro Bowl 2012 Pro Bowl and the winning record, playoff appearances, and NFCCG appearance from 2008-2012. 2013-2015 shows the melting of the ice and its not all MR's fault. However, MR will be entering his 9th season as an NFL QB, that's a pretty good while. The coaching staff and GM are working hard to build a solid team and Quinn was brought in to fix this defense and it is a work in progress, imo MR has about 2 good seasons left to get back on track, if he does well in the 2016 season then in 2017 QB wont be a pressing need but if he don't produce the numbers he was drafted to produce I see us putting in a young potential replacement in 2017. This season is going to be a big test for Ryan and if he doesn't produce this year I think he will be given one more that would likely be his last as a Falcon.

9 minutes ago, Miller2Rison said:

Here is the honest truth about Ryan and we wont forget 2008 ROY 2010 Pro Bowl 2012 Pro Bowl and the winning record, playoff appearances, and NFCCG appearance from 2008-2012. 2013-2015 shows the melting of the ice and its not all MR's fault. However, MR will be entering his 9th season as an NFL QB, that's a pretty good while. The coaching staff and GM are working hard to build a solid team and Quinn was brought in to fix this defense and it is a work in progress, imo MR has about 2 good seasons left to get back on track, if he does well in the 2016 season then in 2017 QB wont be a pressing need but if he don't produce the numbers he was drafted to produce I see us putting in a young potential replacement in 2017. This season is going to be a big test for Ryan and if he doesn't produce this year I think he will be given one more that would likely be his last as a Falcon.

I would bet money against that. No way the Falcons ever come close to consider replacing Ryan after 2 seasons. It would take a 2-14 season, getting the 1st overall pick and Andrew Luck 2.0 sitting right there. Not gonna happen

2 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I would bet money against that. No way the Falcons ever come close to consider replacing Ryan after 2 seasons. It would take a 2-14 season, getting the 1st overall pick and Andrew Luck 2.0 sitting right there. Not gonna happen

Like I said only if he doesn't produce in those seasons, I mean that's over a decade in the league man. I personally have faith in MR but he's not getting any younger and this is a young man's game. And of course losing records will have a lot to do with it.

1 minute ago, Miller2Rison said:

Like I said only if he doesn't produce in those seasons, I mean that's over a decade in the league man. I personally have faith in MR but he's not getting any younger and this is a young man's game. And of course losing records will have a lot to do with it.

Carson Palmer just put up his best season ever at age 36......

Ryan has produced his entire career so that's a pretty big 'if'

2 minutes ago, Miller2Rison said:

But the thing is, he WILL produce. Ryan will do his job. If the Falcons are holding Ryan to a standard to elevate his game to be like Aaron Rodgers, shame on them. Ryan is what he is. He's a good player. If set up for success, he will get the job done. Looking for the next "elite" quarterback is a terrible decision. It would already be VERY hard to find the next Ryan even. If the Falcons have 2 top 5 draft picks over the next 2 years, it will be on TD and Quinn failing to build a winning team. Setting Ryan up for success is the key to winning a championship, not relying on Ryan to elevate his game to carry a team of 53 guys

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Carson Palmer just put up his best season ever at age 36......

Ryan has produced his entire career so that's a pretty big 'if'

Carson Palmer also did it with another team that had a great defense. Palmer couldn't win the playoffs so they got Dalton...who also can't win in the playoffs lol. As for Ryan, if he has 2 more bad seasons i think he will be gone, I still think he will go and start for another team. Kinds like Palmer

basically all I'm saying is he can't have 2 more years like last year, 13-14 I don't even fault Ryan. As long as we are 9-7 or better, even if Ryan doesn't produce he will remain our QB. Manning will be remembered as one of the best QBs to ever play the game but that Denver ring is thanks to the defense.

2 minutes ago, Miller2Rison said:

Carson Palmer also did it with another team that had a great defense. Palmer couldn't win the playoffs so they got Dalton...who also can't win in the playoffs lol. As for Ryan, if he has 2 more bad seasons i think he will be gone, I still think he will go and start for another team. Kinds like Palmer

Palmer left Cincinnati because he demanded a trade or threatened to retire. The Bengals didn't 'get rid of' Carson Palmer. Palmer refused to play for them.

4 minutes ago, Miller2Rison said:

Palmer would still be the Bengals QB if he hadn't demanded a trade and threatened to retire if not traded. The bengals weren't fed up with him, he wanted out

10 minutes ago, Miller2Rison said:

is that what happened? Hmm wonder why he wanted out so bad...

If Ryan demands a trade away from the Falcons, bummer. But that is the only way he ever leaves the team. I'm telling you, the Falcons will never dump Ryan. He's here until he demands a trade, retires, or suffers a career ending injury