Shanahan Intercepts Ryan Pass

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So much BS over a rook making a mistake........ Good Lawd,,,,

"According to Knox Bardeen, a digital content producer and on-air host for 92.9 The Game, a CBS Sports Radio station, the Falcons were practicing the depth of their routes. I'll let him explain, as he did to me via email:

Rookie TE Austin Hooper ran the right route but at the wrong depth and Shanahan jumped it and grabbed it. He immediately turned to Hooper and let him know what had gone wrong. This wasn't a case of Ryan making a mistake or Shanahan trying to make him look bad. It was a teaching moment.

So, there you have it: Ryan doesn't stink and Shanahan is doing his job as the team's offensive coordinator,"

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/watch-even-the-falcons-offensive-coordinator-is-intercepting-matt-ryan/

13 minutes ago, nomak said:

LOL...you said "alarming rate."  LOL!  I'll take some time out and watch when they are playing on TV.  Going to the practice is fun and all but too many people get in a game mode while there and whine about the sky is falling on a sports blog barely a week into practice when they see something no go the "right" way.    

"Alarming rate" = 2.6%

24 minutes ago, brewman said:

Hooper, a 6'4" 250lb TE, is supposed to cut in front of the much smaller DB forcing the DB to go through him to make a play on the ball. 

Got Ya.  So not only was hooper supposed to under cut that DB, but he should have at least made a better attempt to body him and make the catch

3 minutes ago, GTBF54 said:

So much BS over a rook making a mistake........ Good Lawd,,,,

"According to Knox Bardeen, a digital content producer and on-air host for 92.9 The Game, a CBS Sports Radio station, the Falcons were practicing the depth of their routes. I'll let him explain, as he did to me via email:

Rookie TE Austin Hooper ran the right route but at the wrong depth and Shanahan jumped it and grabbed it. He immediately turned to Hooper and let him know what had gone wrong. This wasn't a case of Ryan making a mistake or Shanahan trying to make him look bad. It was a teaching moment.

So, there you have it: Ryan doesn't stink and Shanahan is doing his job as the team's offensive coordinator,"

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/watch-even-the-falcons-offensive-coordinator-is-intercepting-matt-ryan/

This should end the discussion. But we know it won't. 

9 minutes ago, Magic Man said:

Threads like this are legit why I don't post here anymore. 

Threads like this actually make me post more........ Ya gotta teach these young ones that have their heads stuck up their collective azzzzs..............:lol:

Good to see you man..........

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Austin Hooper isn't even in WEEK 2 of this system. 

I swear you people check your reason at the door. 

Dude.  You don't understand.  It's a simple 5 yard out, which any WR ought to be able to run.  At exactly 5 yards.  No matter where the defender is.  And worse, Ryan threw it right where the defender was standing, because it's a 5 yard out or something. There is NO WAY Ryan threw it to a spot based on the WR having an option to break his route off at a different angle, because it's a 5 yard out and anyone ought to be able to run that, and option routes are dumb and overly complex.

Also, I wish we still ran Koetter's system, ironically.

Anyway, Shanahan picked it off.  SHANAHAN GOT AN INTERCEPTION.

Which means Shanahan is stupid, as best I can tell, but I'm not sure why.

11 hours ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

Falcons' Matt Ryan fine with getting picked on after interception to Kyle Shanahan

play

Falcons QB Matt Ryan joins SportsCenter with Scott Van Pelt to explain how Atlanta offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan was able to intercept one of his passes during practice. (0:45)

12:02 AM CT
  • mcclure_vaughn_m.jpg&w=80&h=80&scale=cro
    Vaughn McClureESPN Staff Writer

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Even Matt Ryan had to laugh about seeing his pass intercepted by offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan during Thursday's practice.

The Internet got quite a chuckle when reporter Knox Bardeen of WZGC-FM 92.9 The Game posted the video of the Atlanta Falcons quarterback's encounter with his coach.

But as Ryan pointed out later, it was a teaching moment for rookie tight end Austin Hooper, the guy Shanahan stepped in front of to make the pick. Hooper needed to break his route more directly toward the sideline based on the defensive coverage.

So what did Shanahan say to Ryan?

"He's going to get fined in our meeting room, that's for sure," said Ryan, likely referring to Hooper for allowing Shanahan to get the interception. "But that's part of the fun of camp. You get to see things like that. You get to have a good time with stuff like that. Even with that play, I think that's a great thing for Austin to learn from, for both of us to learn from of where it needs to be. And that's a cool way for Kyle to get that message across."

Hooper missed the route and was jumped on immediately.  But was the only bad play by Austin on the day, he caught several TD passes from Matt, they looked like they had a lot of chemistry together. 

Just now, Slappywhite said:

Hooper missed the route and was jumped on immediately.  But was the only bad play by Austin on the day, he caught several TD passes from Matt, they looked like they had a lot of chemistry together. 

I don't know man, is Shanahan still a ****?

1 minute ago, Slappywhite said:

he is lol... but to be fair, I didn't see him go after Ryan after the play , only Hooper and he let him have it. was a long discussion. But I gotta say Hooper looked like he and Ryan have been doing some work together, besides that play, they were in sync.

STOOOOOOOP!  Ryan is suppose to suck on this board and needs to be traded. 

3 minutes ago, Slappywhite said:

he is lol... but to be fair, I didn't see him go after Ryan after the play , only Hooper and he let him have it. was a long discussion. But I gotta say Hooper looked like he and Ryan have been doing some work together, besides that play, they were in sync.

I was being facetious.  These folks have to have a pretty big agenda to think Shanahan or Ryan did anything wrong on that play.  I'm supremely happy we're ironing this stuff out now, because we're going to need Hooper in the red zone all season.

CNN.COM JUST REPORTED THIS

Matt Ryan Gets Picked Off by Falcons OC Kyle Shanahan at Training Camp

By Kyle Newport , Featured Columnist
Aug 4, 2016
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Reads
Comments

Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan may want this pass back. After all, no NFL signal-caller wants to turn the ball over to his coach.

During the team's training camp, Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan spent some time playing defense as the offense got reps. The 36-year-old coach must really know the offense, because he was positioned perfectly to nab an interception off his Pro Bowl quarterback.

There's still a little more than a month before the regular season kicks off, so Ryan has some time to get into a rhythm with his receivers.