Falcons owner Arthur Blank anticipates better year for Matt Ryan

Falcons owner Arthur Blank anticipates better year for Matt Ryan

Vaughn McClure

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank voiced confidence in Matt Ryan as Ryan enters his ninth season as the team’s quarterback.

Ryan has yet to make the Super Bowl and has a 1-4 all-time postseason record. Last season, Ryan and the Falcons started 5-0 before finishing 8-8 and missing the playoffs for the third consecutive season. Although he surpassed 4,000 passing yards for the fifth straight season, Ryan also had 21 turnovers, including 16 interceptions. Four of those interceptions occurred in the red zone.

"Matt worked really hard this offseason on his own technique," Blank said Thursday following practice. "He had a good year last year in many ways -- over 65 percent completions, over 4,000 yards. But the amount of turnovers that he had were not acceptable to him -- most importantly -- or the club, or our fans, or anybody. Some of that is due to new scheme, communication. Some of that is we had receivers not always in the right spots. So there’s a variety of things. ... Some of it was bad judgment on his part, and he would be the first to tell you that and has told you that."

The overwhelming feeling around the organization is Ryan and the offense will be much better in Year 2 of offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan’s scheme.

"I think this year, the communication between he and Kyle Shanahan and the players, etc..., is all better," Blank said. "Second year of the scheme, everybody kind of knows the piece parts a little better and are moving in the right direction. So, I anticipate a better year for Matt. And he would anticipate the same for himself."

Teammates say Ryan’s arm looks stronger in throwing the deep ball. He also has more weapons to complement top receiver Julio Jones with the additions of wide receiver Mohamed Sanu and rookie tight end Austin Hooper. Not to mention the Falcons signed three-time Pro Bowl center Alex Mack to help protect Ryan.

"You don’t want to turn the football over, but you want to play aggressive," Ryan said of his mindset going into this season. "You have to play aggressive. And we need to do a little bit better job in that department -- be a little bit more secure with the football."

Blank believes the Falcons have the roster to be a postseason team. They will have their hands full with three-time defending NFC South champion Carolina coming off the Super Bowl, and an unfavorable schedule that includes back-to-back road games against the Super Bowl champion Broncos and the Seahawks.

Blank was asked if the Falcons are closing the gap with the Panthers.

"It probably is too early to say that," he said. "It certainly is our aspiration. The coach (Dan Quinn) would say, 'We’ve got to win our division. That’s what are goal is. Then get in the playoffs and take it from here. It’s single elimination, so we’ll see what happens.'

"I mean, (the Panthers) have a very good team. They’ve won our division three years in a row. They’ve competed in the Super Bowl. And they are a good football team. And they’re a young team. So, we’ve got to go harder and faster, and I think we are. And hopefully that will translate into an even better season than last year, and we can compete with them."

58 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Call me when Ryan has 20 + ints in a season like Brees or both Mannings have had.

Ryan really shouldn't be placed in the same category as Brees or Manning.  Ryan has  A LOT to prove before he gets to that level.  He is on Andy Dalton's level

Expectations are definitely running high at the Branch for this upcoming season:

"The overwhelming feeling around the organization is Ryan and the offense will be much better in Year 2 of offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan’s scheme. .. So, I anticipate a better year for Matt."

We also know that the powers that be within the organization are extremely pleased thus far with the new defensive additions this year: Shelby, Neal, Jones, and Campbell. So I think it is safe to say that they are also  expecting that  the defense will be much better in Year 2 under Quinn and DC Smith.

As the preseason progresses, I think that Upshaw and Freeney will also be viewed as positive new additions to the defense. It certainly appears that Quinn is expecting improved play from Beasley, Reed, Clayborn, Hageman, and Jackson due to positional changes that best suit their respective strengths.

Remember that time Mr. Blank said:  “I have always believed in bringing the best people together, creating the right environment, giving them the resources they need, being a cheerleader for them and making sure the culture is set in place before getting out of the way and allowing them to do what they need to do.”

i-am-chris-farley-trailer.png

That was awesome........................!

Why is this still a debate?

Matt Ryan had his worst season of his career last year and was still not as bad as half the QB's in the league.

Matt Ryan is NEVER going to be as good as Brady, Manning, Brees, or Big Ben

Matt Ryan is NEVER going to be as bad as Tannehil, McCown, RGIII, Kaepernick, or even FItzpatrick in a normal year.

Matt Ryan CAN win the superbowl if he gets the right team around him just the same as Doug Johnson, Joe Flacco, Trent Dilfer, and others have.

Matt Ryan being cut or traded, forcing us to spend our first round pick on a QB each year over and over until we find a decent one, is a horrible idea and everyone who is anyone around NFL football circles will tell you the same.

3 hours ago, AtlantaFanatic said:

Why is this still a debate?

Matt Ryan had his worst season of his career last year and was still not as bad as half the QB's in the league.

Matt Ryan is NEVER going to be as good as Brady, Manning, Brees, or Big Ben

Matt Ryan is NEVER going to be as bad as Tannehil, McCown, RGIII, Kaepernick, or even FItzpatrick in a normal year.

Matt Ryan CAN win the superbowl if he gets the right team around him just the same as Doug Johnson, Joe Flacco, Trent Dilfer, and others have.

Matt Ryan being cut or traded, forcing us to spend our first round pick on a QB each year over and over until we find a decent one, is a horrible idea and everyone who is anyone around NFL football circles will tell you the same.

Good post. I would also clarify that Ryan is a much better QB than Doug Johnson, Trent Dilfer and others were. He's a better QB than Flacco, but that's another argument some become emotionally unhinged because Flaccos organization won a Super Bolw With him  starting QB. You give Matt Ryan that same team Flacco had and he easily wins the Super Bowl.