Brian Billick said Devonte Freeman is best all around RB in NFL right now, needs to be a 350 touch guy

gazoo

On Dukes and Bell last night, Brian Billick said that he felt Devonte Freeman is the best all round running back in the NFL right now and needs to be a 350 touch guy (includes receptions and carries). That's one heII of an endorsement.

We drafted arguably the best if not one of the best all around Pro Bowl RBs in the NFL with a 4th rounder? Troffed!

I've been saying all offseason how excited I am that Ryan finally has the type of RB that can do it all, much as Brady, Brees, Manning and Rodgers have had most of their careers. Turner was the best RB Ryan ever had but he was a one trick pony with no long speed and not an accomplished receiver or blocker.

This  is the most important part. Last year Ryan had only 3 dependable pass catchers in Julio, Tamme and Freeman. Now that we have other necessary pieces such as a #2 WR in Sanu, a seasoned veteran Hardy coming back as #3 looking much improved and a rookie receiving TE who can help us in the red zone, and Mack at center, this offense is going to be dominant and will be able to match up against any defense. We can attack in so many different ways it won't be like last year where we lose Hankerson and simply couldn't match up against good defenses.

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2016/08/03/brian-billick-devonta-freeman-needs-to-be-a-350-touch-guy/ 

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, YoungHeezy said:

Cat see Free lasting that long getting hit on like that

Thing is, Freeman runs so low to the ground, just like Warrick Dunn did, that defenders rarely get big hits on them.

These bigger defenders can't bring their body mass center down that low to deliver a bone crushing hit. 

As many years as I watched Dunn run, maybe 2 times a season would I see him get hit really hard.

Freeman and Dunn are both very short 5'9", but Freeman has close to 20 extra pounds on his frame. 

2 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Thing is, Freeman runs so low to the ground, just like Warrick Dunn did, that defenders rarely get big hits on him. These bigger defenders can't bring their mass down that low to deliver a bone crushing hit with all their weight behind it.

As many years as I watched Dunn run, maybe 2 times a season would I see him get hit really hard.

Freeman and Dunn are both very short 5'9", but Freeman has close to 20 extra pounds on his frame. 

We when I was reviewing Freeman's runs last year the only back I could compare him to was Dunn. They have the same running style and skill set. Dunn was more fluid but Freeman has more power. Freeman's hands are underrated AF. just sayin' B)

This is the way I feel. I like Coleman as a second option but he shouldn't be taking devonta's touches. If we are as committed to the run as we should be devonta can have 20 carries a game and Coleman can still have 10. Some People on here can't even see how talented devonta is because they're blinded by coleman's speed. It's ridiculous. You know how many teams would love to give devonta 25 touches a game? But we wanna give him less than last year? Watch some freeman highlights, he is everything you could want in a back nowadays. I know some think he'll get "worn out" by that many carries, but imo he can handle it. Like gazoo said, he doesn't take a lot of punishing hits. Btw I don't think he's better than Peterson or more talented than bell, but there are not many backs better than him.

Edited by Drew4719

24 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

He's not the best RB in the league. He's good, but come on. Peterson, Gurley, and Bell are all without question better backs 

Billick didn't say Freeman was a the best RB in the NFL, he said he was the best all around (complete)  running back in the NFL. 

There is a huge difference in meaning when adding the qualifier "all around". He meant "complete" as in run, block, catch etc.

I think his name belongs in the conversation of the best  "complete" RB in the NFL.

Just now, gazoo said:

Billick didn't say he was a the best RB in the NFL, he said he was the best overall (complete)  running back in the NFL. 

Even then, still don't know if I agree. He's one of the best all around backs, but I don't know about THE best. Either way, it's cool when players other than Julio get respect in the league

Technically, he said Freeman and Bell are probably the two best overall backs in the game when you factor their catching ability in. Which I concur with. Freeman isn't the best running back but he might be the one that does the most and at a high level. Matt Forte would be in that discussion too. 

26 minutes ago, falconidae said:

heard the interview, thought he said, one of the best all round backs.

Also he said 350, then broke it down into roughly 275 runs, 75 catches.

And, Gaz, you know I love you, but Hardy isn't a seasoned vet.

I'll give you that. Second season vet, not seasoned vet :)

I couldn't quite understand him when he said "all round", thought he said "overall" but I thought it was garbled.

edit: I'm going to make that change in OP as it is causing heartburn from my friend Larry.

I don't know who I would pick for best overall back but Peterson would be in there somewhere simply because how good he is as a runner...Bell, Charles, McCoy, Freeman are all great overall rbs when healthy..just having Freeman in the conversation is great after having to go through the later years of Turner, Rodgers, and Jackson