Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blkbigdog35

Falcons In-Season News

187 posts in this topic

Falcons' Ishmael 'not quite ready' to play against Jaguars

4 hours ago

usatoday.com  

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) — The Atlanta Falcons still expect Kemal Ishmael will open the season as the fill-in starter at strong safety even though he'll miss his third straight preseason game this week.

Coach Dan Quinn said Tuesday Ishmael won't play in Thursday night's final preseason game against Jacksonville. Ishmael, returning from a shoulder sprain, practiced on Monday and Tuesday but won't be able to replace injured rookie starter Keanu Neal this week as had been hoped.

Neal is expected to miss at least the first two regular-season games after having arthroscopic surgery on his right knee on Monday.

Quinn said Ishmael should have no limitations next week.

"He practiced the last two days and he's just not quite ready with the time off that he's missed," Quinn said, adding Ishmael would have played this week "if it was a regular game."

Newly signed veteran safety Deshon Goldson will play against the Jaguars after quickly learning the defense.

"He did a good job this week in terms of learning and applying it," Quinn said. "We won't overload him but we definitely want to give him some work."

Quinn stressed on Sunday that Goldson, a 2012 All-Pro selection with the 49ers who started 15 games with the Redskins last season, was signed to play behind Neal and Ishmael.

Ishmael said Tuesday he was ready to play when needed.

"I'm feeling good, feeling real comfortable out there on the defense," Ishmael said.

Ishmael, entering his fourth season with the Falcons, is preparing for a familiar backup role — assuming Neal makes a full recovery from his knee injury.

Ishmael made five starts in 2015 and a combined 15 in 36 games the last three years.

"It's all about selflessness," Ishmael said of his role. "It's bigger than me. It's a team thing. ...Whatever role they want me to fill, that's what I'm going to do and I'm going to be happy with it."

Wide receiver Julio Jones (ankle), defensive end Adrian Clayborn (shoulder) and running back Brandon Wilds (knee) also won't play this week. Quinn said rookie wide receiver Devin Fuller (shoulder) will be placed on injured reserve.

Kicker Matt Bryant will return after missing two games with muscle tightness in his leg. Running back Terron Ward will return from an ankle sprain to play behind Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman.

Quinn said the final preseason game will be a "really fun night for the guys" as players compete for the final roster and practice-squad spots.

Such starters as quarterback Matt Ryan should have extremely limited time as the focus is on younger players.

"That's why it's a fun night for us coaches to see the competitiveness," Quinn said. "You get a chance to see who wants to go for it in the very biggest way. It's another opportunity to shine and do that."

NOTES: Quinn said he talked in a team meeting about the 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick's decision to sit for the national anthem before a preseason game. Quinn said he wanted to make sure players consult teammates before taking any similar action "to make sure everything is about the team, especially when we're at a ballgame as a team."

___

Falcons' Bryan Cox: Yelling, cursing wrong approach with Vic Beasley Jr.

l?ebcid=ALh7CaRjyEVPKFAetWcMg51CCffFhshSxFmf0on4eRcW8c7UACsMtEHqN6AdCxcCAnPw-l2jTNQQk2Be0EhR9FSG5CmXHkGA6A"

Vaughn McClure
ESPN Staff Writer
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Email
print
comment
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons defensive line coach Bryan Cox, known for his profanity-laced tirades, discovered such was the wrong approach to take toward pass-rusher Vic Beasley Jr.

"No, it doesn't work, because he tunes you out," Cox said of Beasley. "Vic is as different a player as I've ever been around in terms of he's a man of God. He pulls on that often. And when you get to a place where you are in his ear, he just tunes out the chatter. He doesn't listen to it.

"So, the best way is to have a conversation and get him to get on the same page: 'Tell me what just happened and tell me what you saw. Here's what I saw. How would you do it different?' He's different in that way. And that's not good or bad. That's who he is."

Cox said he learned more about Beasley's demeanor following a defensive line trip to Miami at the end of last season.

"I got to know a lot more of the guys on an intimate and a personal level, knowing their personalities away from the building," Cox said. "We weren't here, and we weren't dealing with the stress of the season. We spent four or five days just chilling. I got a chance to know him in ways I hadn't previously discovered."

Cox has gotten into sideline scuffles with at least two players -- Ra'Shede Hageman and former defensive tackle Corey Peters. Plus cursing out a player, again, is just part of his regular routine. But Cox was cautious to change his tone with Beasley.

"Because if I keep trying to do the same thing and the same approach and it's not working, that makes me a dumb coach," Cox said. "So I've got to try and do something different. And my wife likes to say, 'If you do the same thing over and over and expect a different result, that's insane.' And I believe her."

Beasley agreed with Cox's assessment of him, to a degree.

"The coaches understand the players that they coach, and over the year, me and Cox have really been able to grow and develop a relationship," Beasley said. "He knows me, and that is a way that I do respond to coaches.

"Really, I have had both worlds. I had Coach (Marion) Hobby at Clemson, and he was on me hard. Every coach I've had has been a tough coach. I know they're just trying to get the best out of me."

Beasley admitted he shies away from the cursing aspect because of his religious beliefs.

"I try not to curse, and I try to speak positive things out of my mouth," he said. "That's just me, and that's the way I grew up."

The bottom line is the Falcons have to find a way to motivate Beasley to play at a higher level. He led the team with four sacks as a rookie last season, but the former eighth-overall pick was far from a force while playing through a torn labrum in his right shoulder.

This preseason, Beasley has struggled to make an impact while transitioning to strongside linebacker and dealing with a sprained AC joint in the same shoulder. His frustration was evident following last week's 17-6 preseason loss to Miami.

So what's the solution to getting Beasley going?

"I don't think that he's not going," Cox said. "It's not about one man. It's about our unit. When you look at the tape from last year, he had several opportunities off the edge where the quarterback was able to step up and he didn't get the pressure or the sack, and a lot of people made a lot of it. But I don't buy into it. I believe in Vic as much as I believe in my son."

On 8/30/2016 at 7:49 PM, blkbigdog35 said:

Falcons' Ishmael 'not quite ready' to play against Jaguars

4 hours ago

usatoday.com  

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) — The Atlanta Falcons still expect Kemal Ishmael will open the season as the fill-in starter at strong safety even though he'll miss his third straight preseason game this week.

Coach Dan Quinn said Tuesday Ishmael won't play in Thursday night's final preseason game against Jacksonville. Ishmael, returning from a shoulder sprain, practiced on Monday and Tuesday but won't be able to replace injured rookie starter Keanu Neal this week as had been hoped.

Neal is expected to miss at least the first two regular-season games after having arthroscopic surgery on his right knee on Monday.

Quinn said Ishmael should have no limitations next week.

"He practiced the last two days and he's just not quite ready with the time off that he's missed," Quinn said, adding Ishmael would have played this week "if it was a regular game."

Newly signed veteran safety Deshon Goldson will play against the Jaguars after quickly learning the defense.

"He did a good job this week in terms of learning and applying it," Quinn said. "We won't overload him but we definitely want to give him some work."

Quinn stressed on Sunday that Goldson, a 2012 All-Pro selection with the 49ers who started 15 games with the Redskins last season, was signed to play behind Neal and Ishmael.

Ishmael said Tuesday he was ready to play when needed.

"I'm feeling good, feeling real comfortable out there on the defense," Ishmael said.

Ishmael, entering his fourth season with the Falcons, is preparing for a familiar backup role — assuming Neal makes a full recovery from his knee injury.

Ishmael made five starts in 2015 and a combined 15 in 36 games the last three years.

"It's all about selflessness," Ishmael said of his role. "It's bigger than me. It's a team thing. ...Whatever role they want me to fill, that's what I'm going to do and I'm going to be happy with it."

Wide receiver Julio Jones (ankle), defensive end Adrian Clayborn (shoulder) and running back Brandon Wilds (knee) also won't play this week. Quinn said rookie wide receiver Devin Fuller (shoulder) will be placed on injured reserve.

Kicker Matt Bryant will return after missing two games with muscle tightness in his leg. Running back Terron Ward will return from an ankle sprain to play behind Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman.

Quinn said the final preseason game will be a "really fun night for the guys" as players compete for the final roster and practice-squad spots.

Such starters as quarterback Matt Ryan should have extremely limited time as the focus is on younger players.

"That's why it's a fun night for us coaches to see the competitiveness," Quinn said. "You get a chance to see who wants to go for it in the very biggest way. It's another opportunity to shine and do that."

NOTES: Quinn said he talked in a team meeting about the 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick's decision to sit for the national anthem before a preseason game. Quinn said he wanted to make sure players consult teammates before taking any similar action "to make sure everything is about the team, especially when we're at a ballgame as a team."

___

Rest him, our safeties are dinged up.  We need to be careful.

Julio Jones (ankle) still on track to play in opener

• Vaughn McClureESPN Staff Writer

ATLANTA -- He didn't play Thursday night in the Falcons' 17-15 win over the Jaguars, but Julio Jones' mere presence on the field during pregame warm-ups was a good sign for the Falcons heading into the regular season.

Jones injured an ankle during last week's third preseason game against Miami in Orlando. He was nowhere to be seen during practice Sunday through Tuesday, so Thursday was his first time back in front of the public eye since the injury.

Jones went through a light workout with the other receivers, fielding passes from Matt Ryan and testing his ability to turn, pivot and accelerate up the field. He did it at half speed, but told Falcons coach Dan Quinn that he was encouraged.

"He looked good today," Quinn said of Jones. "He had confidence in it. He jumped some and landed on it, felt good. For him to come to me and say he was very excited about how he felt, and still have another three days of treatment to get better, he is very, very encouraged. And I am, too."

Quinn said Jones will "certainly be close" to full practice come Monday as the Falcons start preparation for the Sept. 11 season opener against Tampa Bay at the Georgia Dome.

Just for kicks: Special teams coach Keith Armstrong said it would be a kicking competition between veterans Matt Bryant and Shayne Graham, with Bryant slowed by muscle tightness this preseason. Well, Bryant returned to the lineup Thursday night and made a 27-yard field goal along with two extra points. Graham missed a 32-yard field goal wide left in the third quarter. His attempt was pushed back five yards following a delay-of-game penalty. Still, the Falcons expect both kickers to be 100 percent under 40 yards. Bryant, who kicked well in practice leading up to the game, should get the nod.

Maybe that player could start: Robenson Therezie, listed as Ricardo Allen's backup at free safety, actually started the game next to Allen with strong safeties Keanu Neal (knee) and Kemal Ishmael (shoulder) out. Therezie made the two biggest plays of the night. The first was him leaping in the air to intercept a pass by Jaguars quarterback Brandon Allen on third-and-12. The next was a booming hit Therezie put on former Auburn teammate Corey Grant right near the Falcons' sideline, which drew a collective gasp from the crowd and a chorus of cheers from his teammates. (Therezie was flagged for taunting his old friend after the play.) If Ishmael, for some reason, isn't healthy enough to start the season, and if newly signed veteran Dashon Goldson is not up to speed, maybe Therezie can fill in at strong safety. Neal is set to miss at least the opener after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery.

Who got hurt? Therezie got banged up after the interception and had his eyes checked on the sideline, which might have indicated a concussion concern. But Therezie appeared to shake it off quickly. Later, Therezie and nose tackle Joey Mbu both exited because of hand injuries and did not return. Fullback Will Ratelle, who was just re-signed Wednesday after being cut last Friday, left the game because of an ankle injury after a 15-yard reception.

A surprise player who impressed: Courtney Upshaw has been relatively quiet this preseason after signing a one-year deal in the offseason. However, the former Baltimore Ravens' second-round pick made his presence felt with a sack against the Jaguars, along with a couple of nice tackles for little or no gain. Upshaw was active and played like a guy fighting for a roster spot. The sack alone should get the coaches' attention, considering that's an area where the Falcons have struggled so much.

When it was starters vs. starters, the Falcons looked ...: Well, it was hard to tell because Ryan played only one snap, which was a handoff to Devonta Freeman for a 3-yard gain. Ryan was replaced by Matt Schaub following the cameo appearance. Defensively, Vic Beasley Jr. got into the backfield on the first play of Jacksonville's first series, and rookie linebacker Deion Jones cleaned it up for a 6-yard loss. On third down of the same drive, rookie linebacker De'Vondre Campbell again showed his range and speed in trying to chase down speedy Denard Robinson. Campbell came out of the game with Desmond Trufant, Robert Alford, Tyson Jackson and Beasley, just another indication that Campbell will start at weak-side linebacker in the opener.

Catching on: Receivers Nick Williams and J.D. McKissic both made some nice plays while trying to make their case to stick on the final 53. Williams had a pair of consecutive, 20-plus-yard receptions and also showed some Madden-type moves on a punt return. McKissic made a nice catch down the left sideline for a 25-yard gain. So do they both make it? It's hard to say. The receivers ahead of them are Jones, Mohamed Sanu, Justin Hardy and Aldrick Robinson. Veteran Eric Weems is another receiver and a special-teams ace. McKissic, an undrafted rookie from Arkansas State, generated a lot of buzz after his 101-yard kickoff return for a touchdown in the first preseason game.

In the running: Terron Ward was sidelined for weeks because of an ankle injury and watched undrafted Brandon Wilds start to gather steam as the No. 3 running back. Well, Ward returned with a bang by scoring two touchdowns Thursday night on runs of 3 yards and 1 yard. Meanwhile, Wilds missed the game because of a knee injury. If Ward keeps his No. 3 spot, it's because he's capable of playing wherever on special teams.

Quick hits: Cornerback Akeem King had a rough start to the night in getting beaten on several plays, including a touchdown. But King rebounded and had a nice pass breakup. ... Safety Damian Parms had a noticeable tackle on special teams. ... Some of the players who had noticeable missed tackles were linebacker LaRoy Reynolds, safety Dashon Goldson, nickelback Brian Poole, linebacker Sean Weatherspoon and linebacker Philip Wheeler. ... Deion Jones and Paul Worrilow worked together for a series at inside linebacker. They've been competing at middle linebacker, with Jones likely in the lead going into the regular season.

Falcons' rookie linebackers ready to get it started

• aughn McClureESPN Staff Writer

ATLANTA -- It was rather telling when Atlanta Falcons rookie linebackerDe'Vondre Campbell played just three snaps Thursday night before exiting the field with the likes of Desmond Trufant, Robert Alford, Vic Beasley Jr., andRicardo Allen.

The starters weren't expected to play much in the final preseason game and didn't, with just one series against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Campbell obviously received the veteran treatment with his cameo appearance, just another sign that he has won the starting job at weakside linebacker heading into the regular season.

The fourth-round draft pick from Minnesota is not taking anything for granted, however.

"You can never say that you've done enough," Campbell said. "I make mistakes, just like everybody else. I think I've taken steps toward that starting job, but I haven't really been consistent enough, in my eyes.

"I just have to stay in my playbook, like I've been doing. I've got to try and continue to play at a consistent level. I think I've been doing good, but you can never stop learning. I've just know I've have to keep growing and keep on the track that I'm on."

Falcons coach Dan Quinn stopped short of declaring Campbell and rookie middle linebacker Deion Jones the starters for the Sept. 11 season opener against the Tampa Buccaneers. However, Quinn also said he's comfortable with Campbell and Jones in the roles they've played this preseason, which included three starts together in four games. Three-time leading tackler Paul Worrilowand veteran Sean Weatherspoon started the first preseason game at middle and weakside linebacker, respectively.

"We had to get a lot of work put into these guys," Quinn said of his two rookie inside linebackers. "We knew in the preseason they needed a lot of work. Fortunately for us at linebacker, we've got some pretty good depth there. Between Dre, Deion, Spoon, Worrilow, LaRoy Reynolds, that's a very competitive and, in some cases, veteran group where they're there to lean on one another for experience and questions.

"They're all going to see action. They're that good of a group. And they battle for it."

Jones and Campbell were drafted, in large part, because of their speed and ability to cover up some of the coverage issues the Falcons have had in recent years. The biggest challenge for Jones, a second-round draft pick from LSU, is having the mental capacity to run the show from the middle linebacker spot.

"I'm not going to lie, it took a minute," Jones said of playing the middle. "Worrilow is always going in early and drawing things up, going over plays with me. For me, it was processing everything that we were going over on the board and doing the same thing on the field."

Jones appreciates the vote of confidence from Quinn.

"It means a lot," Jones said. "It means that I've been doing the things that coach asks. For me, I really want to make him proud so he won't regret his decision. I want to hold myself accountable, hold up to a standard."

Falcons reach final 53-man roster with 11 mnoves

AccessWDUN | September 3rd, 2016

FLOWERY BRANCH — The Falcons have reached the NFL mandated 53-man roster by making 11 moves Saturday.

The Falcons have placed cornerbacks Akeem King (foot) and DeMarcus Van Dyke (concussion) on injured reserve. The team also reached an injury settlement with running back Brandon Wilds, while linebacker Tyler Starr will be waived/injured. Cornerback Jalen Collins will be placed on the reserve suspended list. Finally, the team has waived defensive tackle Joey Mbu, wide receiver J.D. McKissic, safety Sharrod Neasman, quarterback Matt Simms, and tight end D.J. Tialavea.

Atlanta is also in the process of negotiating an injury settlement with FB Will Ratelle, which will get the Falcons to the 53-man roster limit.

King was selected by the Falcons in the seventh round (249th overall) of the 2015 NFL Draft out of San Jose State. Last season, he played in five games as a reserve cornerback, posting one pass defensed during his rookie season.

Van Dyke was originally drafted by the Oakland Raiders in the third round (81st overall) of the 2011 NFL Draft. Van Dyke has seen action in 25 games with four starts while posting 17 tackles (14 solo) with four passes defensed, and one interception throughout his four year career.

Wilds was signed by the Falcons as a college free agent following the draft out of South Carolina. He led the Gamecocks in rushing with 567 yards in nine games, all starts, with three 100-yard games in 2015.

Starr was selected by the Falcons in the seventh round (255th overall) of the 2014 NFL Draft out of South Dakota. He spent the first 14 weeks of the 2015 season as a member of the Falcons practice squad before being promoted to the 53-man roster for the final three games of the season.

Collins was selected by the Falcons in the second round (42nd overall) of the 2015 NFL Draft out of Louisiana State University. Last season, he played in all 16 games with two starts in 2015, posting 12 tackles and five special teams tackles.

Collins will return from suspension in week five versus the Denver Broncos.

Mbu was originally signed by the Falcons as a college free agent following the 2015 NFL Draft. Mbu played in two games and recorded four tackles (one solo) with one tackle for loss last season.

McKissic played in 49 games for Arkansas State and posted 289 receptions for 2,838 yards and 11 touchdowns. He also returned 54 kickoffs for 1,473 yards and had a 27.3 kickoff return average.

Neasman was signed by the Falcons as a college free agent following the draft out of Florida Atlantic. He was a team captain as a senior in 2015 for the Owls, and he was also named the team’s 2015 Student-Athlete of the Year.

Simms was originally signed by the New York Jets as a college free agent following the 2012 NFL Draft. He spent the 2015 season as a member of the Falcons practice squad.

Tialavea was originally signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars as a college free agent following the 2013 NFL Draft. He spent time on the Falcons and Buffalo Bills practice squad during the 2015 season.

Falcons confirm Deion Jones and De'Vondre Campbell will start Week 1

numberFire  

Atlanta Falcons rookie linebackers Deion Jones and De'Vondre Campbell will start Week 1, head coach Dan Quinn confirmed.
What It Means:
Quinn made it clear veterans Paul Worrilow and Sean Weatherspoon would see snaps as well, but the Falcons have to get faster on defense, and the two athletic rookies bring plenty of speed. It is only a matter of time before the rookies dominate the linebacker snaps full-time.

Our algorithms project the Falcons defense to rank about 19th in Defensive Net Expected Points this year. In Week 1 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, we expect Jones and Campbell to put up at least 5-6 tackles each.

Falcons' Dan Quinn on Jameis Winston: Outstanding competitor

2:03 PM ET
  • mcclure_vaughn_m.jpg&w=80&h=80&scale=cro
    Vaughn McClureESPN Staff Writer

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. - Dan Quinn and his Atlanta Falcons will start digging deeper into their Week 1 opponent, Tampa Bay, on Wednesday. But Quinn saw enough of Jameis Winston last year to understand what type of talent the second-year Buccaneers quarterback possesses.

"I think he's a terrific competitor," Quinn said. "I think that's the No. 1 thing that stands out. The improvement that he made, we weren't surprised at all by that in terms of as a rookie player, the improvement you make. He's an outstanding competitor. That's probably the biggest compliment we can give a guy."

Winston beat the Falcons twice last year. In the first game, a 23-20 overtime triumph at the Georgia Dome, Winston completed 16 of 29 passes for 177 yards with one touchdown pass and a rushing touchdown. He engineered three third-down conversions in overtime that led to the eventual game-winning field goal as the Falcons failed to counter. And in the second matchup in Tampa, which the Buccaneers won 23-19, Winston threw the game-winning touchdown pass to Mike Evans, and he also converted a third-and-19 scramble by rolling off tackles when the Falcons thought he was down.

The Falcons have a good sense of what they'll see from the Buccaneers offensively based on last year's games and their familiarity with new Bucs head coach Dirk Koetter, who was the Falcons' offensive coordinator from 2012-2014.

In terms of what the Buccaneers will do defensively, it will be different than the Lovie Smith-coached, Cover-2 based scheme from last season. Tampa Bay's defensive coordinator now is former Falcons head coach Mike Smith, who always preached being multiple with his defensive approach.

The Falcons are expected to lean on their offense this season, with top receiverJulio Jones coming off a 1,871-yard season. Jones was limited during Monday's practice coming off an ankle injury but it still expected to play Sunday. Quinn said Jones should return to full practice by Wednesday.

7 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

numberFire  

Atlanta Falcons rookie linebackers Deion Jones and De'Vondre Campbell will start Week 1, head coach Dan Quinn confirmed.
What It Means:
Quinn made it clear veterans Paul Worrilow and Sean Weatherspoon would see snaps as well, but the Falcons have to get faster on defense, and the two athletic rookies bring plenty of speed. It is only a matter of time before the rookies dominate the linebacker snaps full-time.

Our algorithms project the Falcons defense to rank about 19th in Defensive Net Expected Points this year. In Week 1 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, we expect Jones and Campbell to put up at least 5-6 tackles each.

Read this in another thread.  Great news.

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Especially if we find a couple of guys to get to the QB.  

I'm hoping the addition of Freeny is going to elevate the threat of a pass rush

1 minute ago, blkbigdog35 said:

I'm hoping the addition of Freeny is going to elevate the threat of a pass rush

Me too.  We need a guy that can get there on a regular basis.

14 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Devonta

Julio

Trufant

23 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Most definitely.  I would add in Ice, and the new LBers as well.  

Man Matt needs to take the next step into elite status this year. It's no more excuses now because he's an eight year vet. Those lbs are going to be special.

2 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Man Matt needs to take the next step into elite status this year. It's no more excuses now because he's an eight year vet. Those lbs are going to be special.

He does.  On the LBers, won't it be nice to see those dump off passes over the middle to RBs be contested now?  

47 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

He does.  On the LBers, won't it be nice to see those dump off passes over the middle to RBs be contested now?  

Would definitely be great to see.

Atlanta Falcons: Three reasons why they lost to the Buccaneers

by Colin Hubbard3 hours agoFollow @__chubs__

Blogging Dirty  

The Falcons’ inability to rush the passer led to the secondary being outplayed by Jameis

The Falcons’ secondary gave up receptions of 45, 30, 26, 23 and 17, three of which went for touchdowns.

Charles Simms started it off with a 23-yard catch-and-run at the end of the first half, and both Austin Seferian-Jenkins (30) and Mike Evans (45) made it a trio in the third quarter.

The Falcons’ secondary had a complete breakdown in the middle part of the game. Missed tackles, blown coverages and more resulted in three quick scores which ultimately put away the Falcons.

This all starts with the Falcons’ inability to rush the passer. the Falcons recorded zero sacks on the afternoon which gave Jameis Winston a clean pocket more times than not.

The Falcons’ secondary definitely isn’t the best in the NFL, but they’re good enough to keep most teams at bay. But without help from their defensive line, big plays like these are going to happen. So, place your blame wherever you see fit, but it all starts with the lack of pass rush. 

The Falcons could never get the run game going

The Falcons’ running attack on the afternoon was dreadful. Absolutely dreadful.

Atlanta finished with just 52 yards rushing on 22 carries, good enough for an average of 2.4 YPC.

Devonta Freeman rushed the ball 11 times for 20 yards, one of which included a 10-yard attempt. Take away his long run of 10 yards and he finishes with an abysmal 10 yards rushing on 10 attempts.

Tevin Coleman had a much better game than Freeman, but his performance rushing the ball was equally as bad. Coleman finished with 22 yards rushing on eight attempts. His team-high 95 yards receiving on five receptions made up for it, though.

With a non-existent running game, Matt Ryan and the Falcons were forced to throw the ball a little more than they would have liked. One of Atlanta’s main objectives in 2016 is to be balanced on offense. But we definitely didn’t get a taste of that against Tampa Bay.

Let’s hope the running game improves next week against the Oakland Raiders. 

Ryan missed several big-play opportunities at inopportune times

Matt Ryan had a better-than-average game against Tampa Bay, but when it counted the most, he misfired.

His 27 of 39 afternoon that yielded 334 yards passing and two touchdowns was all fine and dandy, but his several pass attempts that sailed behind his receivers, and his poor overall decision-making on third downs sunk the Falcons when they needed him the most.

This performance was a perfect example of why offensive numbers don’t always tell the full story.

He missed some very easy throws, especially late in the game and that held the team back.

Ryan wasn’t the only reason the Falcons’ lost this game, but he’ll be the first to admit that he’s got to play even better if Atlanta want’s to fight their way back after starting off the season 0-1.