Did Mike Smith leave us better off than we want to give him credit for

TRUju2111

13 hours ago, atljbo said:

I do put a majority of the pass rush issue on him and nolan but I've said this from day 1.

I don't think Smitty is a bad coach ... I think if Smitty coach the broncos .. He would be a good coach ... I know most is saying I could coach the broncos and win ... Lol .. My point is Smitty with a established talented team is good .

I don't think developing young players is his thing ... 

Since he had no intention of actually giving them playing time in live games except for a crisis, I can see why that wasn't a huge priority for him.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

That the way it should be when you have a coach that has a clear cut philosophy and sticks to the kind of players he needs to run it. If a GM is picking players willy nilly I'd fire him as an owner. Coaches and GM's are joined at the hip and when that connection has a rift, such as Smitty and TD did in the end, it causes problems. The vision of the team was lost and THAT falls soley on the HC. And if there's no clear vision the GM is lost as well. I think ppl give too much power to gm's and undermine the coaches influence on his team. Why so we celebrate Vince Lombardi if ultimately it was his GM that built the team. The SB trophy should be named after his GM and not him. 

Exactly. But you'd have to excuse the ones that think Mike Smith is just a victim and had absolutely no say over his roster. Dimitroff just threw a bunch of players at him.

1 hour ago, likeriver said:

I'd say he left us in a pretty awful state.

OL was a disaster

RB was a disaster

Defense was a disaster at every level except maybe CB. 

Almost every position is getting a complete overhaul.

I think Mike Smith lost touch with his philosophy. Smitty originally had a simple 4-3 defense that was pretty good until it eventually devolved into this strange 3-4-2-5-2-1-8 amoeba bull****, where every player was a jack of all trades and a master of none.

I think when it comes down to it, Smitty's downfall was his lack of communication skills and resulting inability to manage player personalities, particularly those stronger type personalities that tend to need managing the most. He required a locker room that governed itself - hence the near obsessive deference to established veterans and team captain types.

The awkward way in which players like Ray Edwards and Asante Samuel were dealt with is testament to Smitty's lack of such interpersonal skills. I get that Edwards was a malcontent and all, but outright cutting any player in the middle of a season without even consulting your boss is a pretty good sign that you are not equipped to effectively mediate conflict.

I recall the game that Hester broke Deion's return record and was on the bench sobbing, overwhelmed with emotion for what he had just accomplished, and coach Smith coming over and telling him something to effect of, "It's alright, no need to be sad." Talk about being tone deaf.

What we were left with ultimately was a culture of entitlement, where less established players who flashed talent were rewarded for it by being sat on the bench in favor of players whose best quality at that point was their pedigree. Devonta Freeman didn't just come out of nowhere. Go watch his 31 yard TD run against the Saints during his rookie year and then ask yourself why he only received 50 some odd carries that season, while S-Jax - who would have maybe managed a 7 yard gain on that same play - got fed the lion's share.

It's no coincidence that so many players who left the Falcons after starting for coach Smith were never again heard from in the NFL. Nor is it a coincidence that the two words you hear most consistently from Smitty's successor (after "fired up," of course) are "connect" and "compete."

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Doesn't matter why it didn't happen, the fact it didn't happen means Blank wasn't as insistent as you seem to think. And you have no idea if your "multiple sources" all come down to one person.

And,  Blank is on the sidelines at every home game & most away games, with every coach, having him down on the sidelines doesn't mean a thing. Certainly doesn't mean what you seem to think it does.

And several other of your 15 other items are just as silly. I'm sure my responses to the thread are still there, not going to go through point by point again.

You never had a point. Just a refusal to acknowledge the clear preponderance of  evidence sitting there right before your eyes. Not much has changed since then, I see.

I think the people blaming Mike Smith for moving away from his "base 4-3 defense" and suggesting that had he NOT moved away from said defense, the team would have continued to succeed are missing the realities of the NFL all around them. 

That standard 4-3 defense isn't getting anyone anywhere anymore. The league has moved on. Now you need flexibility and multiple looks. It's the nature of the league now and for the foreseeable future. 

13 minutes ago, GleasonForever! said:

He left us soft up the middle of the defense pass rush wise and never fixed it. Still not proven to be fixed today. Brought in Run stoppers (Soliai and Jackson) when we needed DT that could do both. Still our problem today. Can stop the run but no pass rush from the DT position

You can count the DTs who are good at rushing the passer and playing the run on like one hand. And you can count the multi-faceted DTs who have hit FA on one finger. And he cost alllll the dollars. 

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Because the majority of the posters here think Mike Smith did no wrong and he was just a victim of Dimitroff and then the other majority of the posters here think Thomas Dimitroff did no wrong and he was just a victim of Smith. What they refuse to acknowledge is that the blame is equally shared. Most, like myself, didn't agree with Smith being fired but Dimitroff being kept.

I agree with you on this. One don't get credit for the good, and one gets credit for the bad. They both have to own all the roster problems. I think it was time for both of them to go. The only thing I like with Dimi is he manages the cap pretty good.

35 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I think the people blaming Mike Smith for moving away from his "base 4-3 defense" and suggesting that had he NOT moved away from said defense, the team would have continued to succeed are missing the realities of the NFL all around them. 

That standard 4-3 defense isn't getting anyone anywhere anymore. The league has moved on. Now you need flexibility and multiple looks. It's the nature of the league now and for the foreseeable future. 

While this is true, TD began looking for odd man front type players. We moved from small zone corners to man on man corners. It why we have a band aid defense today. you can have skill sets and scheme fits in players to have a base 4-3.

vs a Tampa 2 zone like BVG ran.

You will be rewarded on your roster if you have some form of consistent strategy on personal

Am I missing something or is it just me?  WTF do we insist on rehashing or feel the need to have the MS debate every other week?  

I hate talking a bunch of nonsense about the past.  The natural progression of teams causes coaching changes and player evolution.  Why do we get so fkg caught up in this regime vs that regime when we're well over a year removed from the change?  What good is this chit doing anyone? 

I find these internal debates very boring and yet I feel compelled to beg these questions.  LOL.

For me, I guess I am willing to say every coach has his pros and cons.  They all come in to try to win and do their best.  I give them that credit whether I like them or not.  Smitty was a good man.  There was no scandal or anything.  His best days were behind him.  I supported him while he was here but often recognized he was being out smarted.  He wasn't the most cerebral guy which is ok too.  

So here I am participating in the very thing I called annoying :lol:

We're almost two years removed from Mike Smith as HC. Time to let bygones be bygones. I'm looking forward to the upcoming season. In year 1 under Quinn we showed flashes of dominance. I think with year under the players belt and and a full offseason, we should be primed for a deep run.

17 hours ago, momak said:

He was suppose to be a defensive expert. I cant understand why defense was so bad while he was here. 

If we had an average pass rush we might have won the SB in 2012 and he might still be the coach.

Abe getting hurt in a pointless game against Carolina... and we still lost anyways.

Going a little sideways with the topic, I ran into Smitty in Tampa last week.  My son and I were heading into a UPS store just as Smitty was coming out of a barber shop.  Totally chance encounter, but we talked for a few minutes - if you liked Smitty you'll be happy to know that he looks great, is in high spirits, and very happy to have the Tampa gig.  He absolutely wants to be a head coach again, but short of that, believes he's in the best possible situation he could be in right now.

And he's got a spectacular waterfront house.

14 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I may be reading them wrong, but I don't the think the objection is the scheme itself, but rather Smitty's inability to either hand over total control of the defense to Nolan or manage the transition. It seriously looked like the Italian Parliament at times. Too many people involved in decision making and tripping over each other. 

I don't care what defense they run as long as everyone is on the same page. Well, I care, but I'll take the vanilla 4-3 with a clear vision over something like what New England runs with a lot of disagreement on how to get the best players to run it. 

Mike Smith lacked  the 3 main things you must have to succeed in the NFL..  1.Wrong  plan, 2.No passion, 3.Wrong personnel .  You can't get passionate about the game if your not completely sold on what you believe ....  Quinn I believe has all 3 now ,, If I had to be critical of Quinn , I'd say his Shannys  passing scheme...... 1.D# = Great,  2.Running Game = Great,  But I have a little doubt about our passing scheme. If we get that passing game down and consistent.  This team will be the team to beat this year...I truly believe that.

9 hours ago, JOEinPHX said:

Going a little sideways with the topic, I ran into Smitty in Tampa last week.  My son and I were heading into a UPS store just as Smitty was coming out of a barber shop.  Totally chance encounter, but we talked for a few minutes - if you liked Smitty you'll be happy to know that he looks great, is in high spirits, and very happy to have the Tampa gig.  He absolutely wants to be a head coach again, but short of that, believes he's in the best possible situation he could be in right now.

And he's got a spectacular waterfront house.

That's good to hear. I always LIKED Smitty from what I could see. Seems like a very high quality dude. And I think the team loved him as well. 

I would like to say one last thing about Coach Smith that I admire greatly,, I think he was the nicest person this team has ever had as a Coach.  Him and Dan Reeves were very likable Coaches.. I love how they both kept their cool no matter how hard a situation was. If Reeves had the players that we have now, He would be unstoppable.