The Falcons and the defunct NFC West...

Spts1

How many of you guys remember the old NFC West Division before the NFL expansion and realignment that put the Falcons in the newly created NFC South? I miss those old rivalries with the original Los Angeles Rams and the San Francisco 49ers.  The Rams used to dominate that division before Joe Montana and the 49ers took over in the 80s. The Falcons had a couple of good years in that division.  The Saints ALWAYS sucked, lmao. Tampa Bay was in the NFC Central.  The NFC West was one of only two divisions with 4 teams, the other being the AFC Central.  The good old days of the NFL...

lynn_cain_1980_10_26.jpg

wendell_tyler_1980_01_20.jpg

oldsaints-copy.jpg

Edited by slickgadawg

What pisses me off is that throughout the 70s (Rams), 80s (Rams, 49ers) and 90s (49ers) the Falcons had to take all those *** beatings from them twice a year on a yearly basis most years. Then they do the realignment and both the Rams and 49ers went to being **** franchises and the Falcons ability to get revenge on them for all those beatings was severely reduced. Just really pissed me off.

4 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

What pisses me off is that throughout the 70s (Rams), 80s (Rams, 49ers) and 90s (49ers) the Falcons had to take all those *** beatings from them twice a year on a yearly basis most years. Then they do the realignment and both the Rams and 49ers went to being **** franchises and the Falcons ability to get revenge on them for all those beatings was severely reduced. Just really pissed me off.

What made -that- even worse was Tampa Bay moved to our division, right when they were considered an up-and-coming team.  They got thier SB win shortly after.

13 minutes ago, East_Coast_Falcon said:

Remember the deion vs jerry days, was really something to watch. Then the traitor puke went to san fran. Was one of my fav falcons for when he played in ATl, but still think he was the biggest benedict arnold in all of sports.

neon deion baby he was a marvel at baseball too!

5 hours ago, egoprime II said:

What made -that- even worse was Tampa Bay moved to our division, right when they were considered an up-and-coming team.  They got thier SB win shortly after.

Yep. First year of the realignment the Bucs win the Super Bowl and then the next year the Panthers had that miracle year and end up in the Super Bowl.

9 minutes ago, gazoo said:

One thing really awesome about it was I got to watch Joe Montana live at least one time a year for years. He was a better QB than Tom Brady I assure you. 

Watched the Birds beat the Niners and Montana  to win the division in 1980. They would only get 4 more wins against him his entire career Joe Cool was 14-5 vs the Falcons all time second most wins against a franchise, Saints only won 4 of 19. Once they got Rice it became pretty unfair, and I'm pretty **** sure Charles Dimry still has nightmares about #16 and #80. Joe Montana found Rice 13 times for 225 yards and a record-tying five touchdown catches. The feat tied him with Kellen Winslow and Bob Shaw, who had accomplished the same in 1981 and 1950, respectively. 

Still those Rams reeled off a 16-2-2 record against the Falcons from 66-76. I know I hated them first even before the Saints.

35 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

Watched the Birds beat the Niners and Montana  to win the division in 1980. They would only get 4 more wins against him his entire career Joe Cool was 14-5 vs the Falcons all time second most wins against a franchise, Saints only won 4 of 19. Once they got Rice it became pretty unfair, and I'm pretty **** sure Charles Dimry still has nightmares about #16 and #80. Joe Montana found Rice 13 times for 225 yards and a record-tying five touchdown catches. The feat tied him with Kellen Winslow and Bob Shaw, who had accomplished the same in 1981 and 1950, respectively. 

Still those Rams reeled off a 16-2-2 record against the Falcons from 66-76. I know I hated them first even before the Saints.

When I was a REAL little kid, I loved the Chargers. Fouts is still my fav QB of all time and Winslow, Chandler, and Joyner were amazing. They got to a super bowl with Stan fuggin Humphries LMAO. And we think we have it bad.

4 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

The best thing back then was enjoying the upsets of the 49ers and the Rams, yes, they were rare, but quite joyful when they happened.  The saints?  They were our whipping boys back then.  

Still are..... We just cut them some slack lately...........