Teen's "White Boy Privilege" slam poetry goes viral

10 hours ago, mfaulk57158 said:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/good-men-project/why-its-so-hard-to-talk-to-white-people-about-racism_b_7183710.html

We can talk about race, religion, and politics all day everyday on this board, but the moment we accumulate more than 2 threads on racial injustice in America all **** breaks loose.

The reason it's hard to talk to white people about racism is because, believe it or not, most white people are not racist. Therefore it doesn't apply to them and are not generally interested in the fringe racist or their rants. If I wanted to sit down with you and have a heart to heart talk about the Ming dynasty in China, you really wouldn't care and don't find it relevant to your own personal life. But I'd still want to push my Ming dynasty thoughts on you regardless. I bet you'd get tired of it pretty quick. If your article was about"why it's so hard to talk to the KKK about racism", it might hold some merit. And even then I don't find that relevant to me.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That video was more about social engineering than racism. In it I see how easy it is for a established power structure to divide people over the most asinine reasons. After a certain amount of time the sheep would police the sheep. In all honesty those couple that bowed out are the only ones that showed any moral courage by saying they would not go along with it yet they were billed as the worst racist. What a bunch of liberal brainwashing that was. It was ridiculous to anyone who could think, but I am sure it was just gold to anyone wanting to show how evil white people are.

Edited by Sobeit
On July 14, 2016 at 6:00 PM, WORilla said:

Wtf does that have anything to do with your response "he wishes he'd never been born". 

I'm sorry sponge dad but that's absolutely ridiculous. The kid has concerns, voices those concerns, and somehow he's an emo kid that hates everything he stands for? Maybe he just wants things to get better. The horror!!! 

People treat anyone that voices concerns like his like some kind of traitor.

Here's the problem. People don't realize it because white people are the majority and it's white people saying it, but it is racism. He's lumping all white boys in together. What do we call it when somebody sticks a label on all black people that are born, and it's something they all have in common just because of the color of their skin? They can't help it, it's because they are black. Right?

A lot of us white boys grew up in broken homes. Single moms trying to find a way to get food on the table while raising kids. Father not around helping with their responsibility. Do you really think a white boy from a single parent household is more privileged than Jayden Smith? Or any upper middle class African American child with both parents in the home? I know his situation is not common amongst African Americans, but that excuse is the same excuse racist people try to use when labeling all black people. 

In other words, the color of your skin doesn't mean you are privileged. The color of your skin shouldn't mean anything at all. Anyone that thinks it is ok to label people based solely on skin color are supporting racism. The white people that don't have a problem with this are the one's that feel like they were given privileges they didn't have to work for. The rest of us that struggled don't want to carry this label because we feel like it discredits how hard we worked for what we do have. 

As a black male, is it hard to have these conversations because of the difference in perspectives. Most white people will say that they are not racist, (a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.) And I really believe them.

But I think it is much harder for them to understand that alot whites are prejudiced (preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience) or biased (prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.)

Thats why i believe that there is often a break down in dialog, but we all have our own bias...just my two cents....

13 minutes ago, uvanell said:

As a black male, is it hard to have these conversations because of the difference in perspectives. Most white people will say that they are not racist, (a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.) And I really believe them.

But I think it is much harder for them to understand that alot whites of people are prejudiced (preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience) or biased (prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.)

Thats why i believe that there is often a break down in dialog, but we all have our own bias...just my two cents....

One of the better and more thoughtful takes I've seen expressed on this board, minus the continued finger pointing, we all have our prejudices and biases, I certainly won't deny that many whites do, but neither do I kid myself in thinking that many blacks do not share those very same failings.Otherwise. I pretty much agree.

16 hours ago, pzummo said:

Here's the problem. People don't realize it because white people are the majority and it's white people saying it, but it is racism. He's lumping all white boys in together. What do we call it when somebody sticks a label on all black people that are born, and it's something they all have in common just because of the color of their skin? They can't help it, it's because they are black. Right?

A lot of us white boys grew up in broken homes. Single moms trying to find a way to get food on the table while raising kids. Father not around helping with their responsibility. Do you really think a white boy from a single parent household is more privileged than Jayden Smith? Or any upper middle class African American child with both parents in the home? I know his situation is not common amongst African Americans, but that excuse is the same excuse racist people try to use when labeling all black people. 

In other words, the color of your skin doesn't mean you are privileged. The color of your skin shouldn't mean anything at all. Anyone that thinks it is ok to label people based solely on skin color are supporting racism. The white people that don't have a problem with this are the one's that feel like they were given privileges they didn't have to work for. The rest of us that struggled don't want to carry this label because we feel like it discredits how hard we worked for what we do have. 

Many excellent points in this post.  

Here is what the white people that had privileges growing up will say that didn't struggle as some of us did when we mention struggling, you were still white and you had the white privilege, (bootstraps) :rolleyes:.  No, I have two parents that grew up during the depression, they had to quit school and get menial jobs to help their families pay for food and rent, They had to become adults at 13 and 14 years of age.  To get out of that situation my father and mother got married at a young age at 16 and 18, and  then having their first child in that same year  They went on to have 7 children, my father had a GC business that he was never that successful at because he never had enough business acumen due to lack of education, although he was a great carpenter, he was also very generous to his clients if they were on hard times as well.  

Long story short, I know not of this privilege, this white privilege, some are talking about.  As a matter of fact, we were one of the poor white families that other white families scoffed at, so I know what that feels like.   

1 hour ago, uvanell said:

or biased (prejudice in f

1 hour ago, uvanell said:

But I think it is much harder for them to understand that alot whites are prejudiced (preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience) or biased (prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.)

Finally a post worth responding to. You seem like you are intelligent and thoughtful so in order for me to discuss this I need to make a clear definition of terms.

Prejudiced- having or showing a dislike or distrust that is derived from prejudice; bigoted.

Now with that said I do not dislike or distrust anyone on the basis of race. I tend to go more with the quality of a persons character. So do most people in general.

While I agree there is a bit of racism I do not think it is the extreme type in which you refer to people thinking they are superior based on race but tend to self segregate on the basis of race. This has a lot more to do with what I think is a cultural divide though as anything based on race. This cultural divide is narrowing a lot though when you look at the numbers. This culture that was first beta tested largely on the black community has now been more and more imported into the white community. What I think is funny about it is that we continue to fight among each other over these issues when the statistics paint a different picture while all of our quality of life is on the decline. Lets all just ignore the root cause though and have another run for the cure.

I was born with a golden spoon in my mouth. Nobody likes it. It's the old adage of: "You like to hear somebody is doing pretty good, but you don’t want to hear they’re doing better than you."

You see, the bottom line is I’ve always done better than everybody else. Only because of one reason —I was born with a golden spoon.

I inherited the ability, I inherited the money, I inherited the God-given best looks in the world today. 

And with this, I dress myself in ultra suede; I dress myself in cashmere, yeah. I dress myself in $500 pleated slacks. I dress myself in alligator shoes. I wear a $15,000 Rolex. The biggest house, on the biggest hill, on the biggest side of town. You know why I got all that? Because I was born with a golden spoon. 

5 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

I was born with a golden spoon in my mouth. Nobody likes it. It's the old adage of: "You like to hear somebody is doing pretty good, but you don’t want to hear they’re doing better than you."

You see, the bottom line is I’ve always done better than everybody else. Only because of one reason —I was born with a golden spoon.

I inherited the ability, I inherited the money, I inherited the God-given best looks in the world today. 

And with this, I dress myself in ultra suede; I dress myself in cashmere, yeah. I dress myself in $500 pleated slacks. I dress myself in alligator shoes. I wear a $15,000 Rolex. The biggest house, on the biggest hill, on the biggest side of town. You know, why I got all that... Because I was born with a golden spoon. 

PElusqbA6wQaA.gif

2 hours ago, Sobeit said:

Finally a post worth responding to. You seem like you are intelligent and thoughtful so in order for me to discuss this I need to make a clear definition of terms.

Prejudiced- having or showing a dislike or distrust that is derived from prejudice; bigoted.

Now with that said I do not dislike or distrust anyone on the basis of race. I tend to go more with the quality of a persons character. So do most people in general.

While I agree there is a bit of racism I do not think it is the extreme type in which you refer to people thinking they are superior based on race but tend to self segregate on the basis of race. This has a lot more to do with what I think is a cultural divide though as anything based on race. This cultural divide is narrowing a lot though when you look at the numbers. This culture that was first beta tested largely on the black community has now been more and more imported into the white community. What I think is funny about it is that we continue to fight among each other over these issues when the statistics paint a different picture while all of our quality of life is on the decline. Lets all just ignore the root cause though and have another run for the cure.

Thank you for the kind words. 

I agree...you have to take it on a case by case basis.

I have been situations where I thought I would be discriminated against because of who I was dealing with, people who I perceived had a bias against me. Turns out, they had all the confidence in the world in me. (Talk about entanglement!)

I have also been openly and regulary discriminated against.

Both are equally important experiences.

There are so many layers to this conversation, but it reaches into some dark places that bring up some painful memories and feelings; and it is very hard to be objective when you are going for the jugular.

1 hour ago, Billy Ocean said:

And with this, I dress myself in ultra suede; I dress myself in cashmere, yeah. I dress myself in $500 pleated slacks. I dress myself in alligator shoes. I wear a $15,000 Rolex. The biggest house, on the biggest hill, on the biggest side of town. You know why I got all that? Because I was born with a golden spoon. 

Can I borrow that spoon? I will wash it before I bring it back.

2 hours ago, Billy Ocean said:

Wooooo!!!

3 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Many excellent points in this post.  

Here is what the white people that had privileges growing up will say that didn't struggle as some of us did when we mention struggling, you were still white and you had the white privilege, (bootstraps) :rolleyes:.  No, I have two parents that grew up during the depression, they had to quit school and get menial jobs to help their families pay for food and rent, They had to become adults at 13 and 14 years of age.  To get out of that situation my father and mother got married at a young age at 16 and 18, and  then having their first child in that same year  They went on to have 7 children, my father had a GC business that he was never that successful at because he never had enough business acumen due to lack of education, although he was a great carpenter, he was also very generous to his clients if they were on hard times as well.  

Long story short, I know not of this privilege, this white privilege, some are talking about.  As a matter of fact, we were one of the poor white families that other white families scoffed at, so I know what that feels like.   

My grandmother moved here from Sicily after WWII, 7 children, husband passed away, and none of them spoke English.  They had a 1 bedroom apartment in Brooklyn, for 8 of them.  Neither of my parents graduated High School.  Father moved here when he was 17, and he is still a cook in New York.  They divorced when I was 5 years old.  My father couldn't help, not going into detail as to why.  Single mom raising 3 kids without a High School degree.  

Thank God for white privilege making it so easy for all of us.  

1 minute ago, uvanell said:

Thank you for the kind words. 

I agree...you have to take it on a case by case basis.

I have been situations where I thought I would be discriminated against because of who I was dealing with, people who I perceived had a bias against me. Turns out, they had all the confidence in the world in me. (Talk about entanglement!)

I have also been openly and regulary discriminated against.

Both are equally important experiences.

There are so many layers to this conversation, but it reaches into some dark places that bring up some painful memories and feelings; and it is very hard to be objective when you are going for the jugular.

Yeah unfortunately there are idiots in the world and when I run into them I tend to keep my distance. Personally I think that is where they belong on the fringes of society no matter what their color or race is. They certainly do not deserve the attention that we tend to give them simply because it creates lines of division. Most of America believes in justice and we also believe in free will and the right of free association.

My experience is somewhat different. Some of the best people I have known have been minorities to the point I do not even like calling them good Asians or Blacks. They were just great human beings. Part of it has to do with a culture in the Military that overwrites the individual culture and that culture is about honor, duty, mission and being part of something bigger than self. While all these people brought elements of their individual culture we were on the same team we wanted everyone to do well. Even then there is what I will call some mild racism not that everyone was not valued or appreciated there was still a lot of self segregation again I think that has to do with the individual cultures. Not as much as you see in the civilian sector but it will probably always be there.

Yeah I have no doubt discrimination occurs for a multitude of reasons and yes I think race is certainly one of them. Sadly I think trying to force the issue kind of has the effect we see in this very thread. Where posters feel betrayed and get fed up with hearing about it. You can kind of radicalize people who would not be otherwise.

I see much of the problem today as being social and economical more than I do about rampant racism and bigotry. What I think would be best for this country is to get back to a populist, nationalistic movement where we are proud of our country and what we have accomplished in the world. While it may not have been perfect we have done a lot of good. We need people to have decent jobs and a sense of pride and being a part of something good. Where being a American supersedes being a African American. That is what we should be focused on as a country not who can use what restroom.

8 hours ago, Billy Ocean said:

At least you don't act like one of those privileged a**holes Billy...:tiphat:

8 hours ago, Billy Ocean said:

are you related to Donald Trump ?

On 7/14/2016 at 7:02 PM, SpongeDad said:

I apologize man. And I am a little uptight today. We had a memorial today for a co-worker who died 6 years ago while we were working. He fell to his death in front of us, along with his father there too. I talked to his father today who still taking it hard watching his child die. I've seen carnage in combat, but I still can't shake the memory of his father holding him, while his brain was hanging out of his head, screaming at us to pray for him. 

Off topic: Oh man. I'm so sorry to hear that--for you and the father (and of course the son)

I know I'm late to read this but I haven't been active here.

On 7/14/2016 at 6:48 PM, SpongeDad said:

*My* "privilege" came from getting my àss shot at while you were back home safe and sound. I got my degree in the army because I couldn't afford a technical school, much less a college. So I had to dodge death until I got a degree. It's a **** of a way to gamble the present for the hope of a future. I don't expect you to understand this. I didn't see a shred of this "privilege" growing up. That's why today my man cave is full of the things I couldn't afford as a child. You can make something of yourself if you don't let setbacks detour your goals. Inequality is a problem that needs to be fixed but you got to keep pushing no matter what.

agree 100% man. I am my own biggest obstacle in life. If I don't succeed it's my fault.

On 7/17/2016 at 9:19 AM, silentbob1272 said:

One of the better and more thoughtful takes I've seen expressed on this board, minus the continued finger pointing, we all have our prejudices and biases, I certainly won't deny that many whites do, but neither do I kid myself in thinking that many blacks do not share those very same failings.Otherwise. I pretty much agree.

Great post.  I would like to add.....When prejudice and bias attitude's make their way into legislature the result is institutional racism.  The institutional racism that is a by product of all humans' tendency to judge based on superficial qualities, has been overlooked due to prejudiced attitudes and eventually became oppressive, creating a cycle that has reinforced biased beliefs.  The result is people "objectively" claiming RR a great president when some of his legistlation has created issues for a very large amount of "americans".