What the Falcons can expect from Alex Mack (Part 1)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being that Ryan is such a rhythmic and time sensitive passer, I think it's going to help him so much to have a guy he can trust at Center. Maybe part of the reason Ryan's game fell off was because he hasn't had a reliable Center since 2012. The options since then have been pretty terrible.

- Peter Konz

- Joe Hawley

- James Stone

- Mike Person

- That guy that played for the Ravens and was ranked the WORST C in the league.

When you can't trust the guy in front of you that takes your attention away from you should be doing. Alex Mack I hope will be a guy Ryan doesn't even have to think about.

Edited by likeriver
7 minutes ago, likeriver said:

Being that Ryan is such a rhythmic and time sensitive passer, I think it's going to help him so much to have a guy he can trust at Center. Maybe part of the reason Ryan's game fell off was because he hasn't had a reliable Center since 2012. The options since then have been pretty terrible.

- Peter Konz

- Joe Hawley

- James Stone

- Mike Person

- That guy that played for the Ravens and was ranked the WORST C in the league.

When you can't trust the guy in front of you that takes your attention away from you should be doing. Alex Mack I hope will be a guy Ryan doesn't even have to think about.

All of that plus leadership.

20 hours ago, theProf said:

No Andy Levitre was not impressive last year. He allowed numerous QB pressures and was a penalty machine. Levitre was not good in run-blocking either. Chester was only slightly better than Levitre in pass protection, so no he was not impressive either. Chester was decent in run-blocking, but not impressive.

Chester torn a rotator cuff late in the season and it really showed, last 5 games if memory serves me right.... He underwent surgery to repair it in January and looks good to go.... Levitre and Chester should have much better year with Mack at center..... Mike Person will be a good back-up if needed but lets hope not....

6 minutes ago, GTBF54 said:

Chester torn a rotator cuff late in the season and it really showed, last 5 games if memory serves me right.... He underwent surgery to repair it in January and looks good to go.... Levitre and Chester should have much better year with Mack at center..... Mike Person will be a good back-up if needed but lets hope not....

We're still pretty weak at OG which I hope we address in next year's draft,  but having Mack will make them all better

14 minutes ago, GTBF54 said:

Nice work George........ Enjoyed the read............

Thanks, I appreciate that.

1 minute ago, Dirtybird56 said:

OP did you happen to check out his tape from last season?

Yes I only watched footage from last season. I watched a four or five games. I picked the games that I thought would be best for analysis. So I looked at Mack v Donald, Mack v Brandon Williams (who will feature in the second part) and playing against the Denver D. Happy to answer any questions about process :)

13 minutes ago, George4722 said:

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Yes I only watched footage from last season. I watched a four or five games. I picked the games that I thought would be best for analysis. So I looked at Mack v Donald, Mack v Brandon Williams (who will feature in the second part) and playing against the Denver D. Happy to answer any questions about process :)

My fault, I read the article yesterday when you first posted it and thought it was 2014 tape under Shanny. Nvm :)

10 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Anyways George...Welcome to our hostile boards where you better buckle your chinstrap when you log in:tiphat:

Haha thank you. I respect how boards work. I get irritated with blog spamming when its really ****** articles. So this gives me an added incentive to produce better pieces for discussion. And its all good, I've got a gumshield. 

Nice look at how Mack can be a game changer............

Through the first five weeks of the season, the Browns offense was rolling. The unit even ranked among one of the league's most efficient offenses. SI.com's Doug Farrar identified Shanahan as one of the NFL's best coordinators. Discussion started that Shanahan could be a one-and-done coach for the Browns as he awaited an opportunity to become a head coach (NOTE: He did interview for the Buffalo Bills opening). 

However, a devastating season-ending injury to the Browns' Pro Bowl center, Alex Mack, sent shock waves throughout the Browns offense. Cleveland lacked depth up front, and the team's running attack struggled as the team failed in an attempt to find the right combination among its offensive interior. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2334504-kyle-shanahan-will-make-falcons-offense-even-more-dangerous

On 7/7/2016 at 7:48 PM, HASHBROWN3 said:

Our Guard play could have been better... But the Center cluster was a heavily contributing factor I believe.

Absolutely agree. Acquiring Mack this off-season was the most important move made by the Falcons. In this instance, Falcon brass did exactly what many of us have pleaded for concerning FA's for key positions: get the best player, even if it's expensive to do. The improvement in the performance of the OL, and by direct effect, the improvement of the offense in every single aspect, can't be over-stated.

To put it bluntly, Mack could well be the key to this team playing in the SB in the next couple of years.

On 7/7/2016 at 10:47 PM, George4722 said:

A few thoughts on what Alex Mack can do for the Falcons in the passing game. Made some GIFs for this one. Would love to hear your thoughts. 
https://atlantasportspage1.wordpress.com/2016/07/07/what-the-falcons-can-expect-from-alex-mack-in-2016-part-1/

The offensive line was solid.  You shouldn't back off that claim.

The line was thrown together and if not for botched snaps did enough.

On Thursday, July 07, 2016 at 7:45 PM, papachaz said:

you lost me at "elevate an already solid offensive line"..........

I don't care what the 'rushing' stats from last year make people think, that offensive line that was out there was awful

I don't necessarily agree, but they got a lot of praise from several sources as a whole last year. Mack should put them over the top. The tackles were among the best pairing in the league.