World Class Rugby Coach Helps With Technique

HASHBROWN3

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/blog/article-1/World-Class-Rugby-Coach-Helps-With-Technique/d5ed334d-884e-44c5-b3c7-dfbb90d7cfff

Head coach Dan Quinn is always looking for ways to help his team improve, and his most recent connection brought valuable insight to Atlanta.

Former English national rugby head coach Stuart Lancaster and Falcons head coach Dan Quinn share the same affinity for the mindset an athlete approaches the game with.

Quinn often talks about the importance of finishing, and Lancaster shares the same belief. Lancaster is widely-respected in the sport, having both played and coached professionally.

The two were destined to cross paths at some point, and they did this offseason at a leadership conference in Los Angeles. The connection was evident and so Quinn, Lancaster and general manager Thomas Dimitroff etched out a plan to have the rugby coach make a visit to Flowery Branch.

“I talked to them about winning the last meter, winning the collision and finishing the tackle,” Lancaster said of his visit.

In addition to sharing similar coaching philosophies, Quinn knew his team and coaching staff could benefit from Lancaster’s knowledge on the leverage-based tackling style they use.

“In a rugby game, they are tackling constantly so we thought there was a lot to gain from Stuart,” Quinn said. “He came in and we spent a good bit of time talking tackling, [finding out] what drills to use and [seeing] if there’s a crossover that we use from our game that he can use, and something from his game that we might be able to use. Any chance we can get that interaction; we are going to find it.”

Not only did Lancaster teach the Falcons how they can improve their tackling technique, more importantly, he extended Quinn’s message on how essential finishing in every aspect of the game truly is.

NOOOOOOOOOOO how can this be get an actual RUGBY coach to teach NFL players to use shoulder type tackling how can this be why NOW.I been on this for at least 3 years.

Sorry HASH for being this way but for the love of God at last common sense has prevailed.

PS English are ****E at Rugby and there are at least half a dozen coaches down this end of the world who are more qualified than Lancaster teach this skill. 

Well one guy that could have benefited is gone now...willy mo.

For me, it's mostly about breaking down once you get there.  You cannot control yourself properly if you're still approaching the ball carrier on a line, with full momentum. 

As you near the striking zone, you have square yourself and break down with your knees bent,  legs further apart, eyes on the belt buckle, ready to strike in either direction in the open field.

There are times for full tilt slobber knocking however.  Usually when a guy is pinned in by a wall of players or the sideline,  or you know the man is in the process of catching the ball etc...Then by all means come in fast & violent with your head up & strike shoulder first on the target.  

48 minutes ago, rugger8 said:

Rugby style tackling, ie "TACKLING."

FYI- Rugby 7s will be in the Olympics for the first time this summer. (15 players on each team is traditional; 7's is 7 players with 7 minute halves. Super fast moving & fun to watch.)

Noyce!!  Looking forward to it man!!  

8 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

It will help prevent injuries while decreasing penalties and improving efficiency.

Bingo and the winner is.

With all the concussion type business that is costing the NFL millions and players like Jnr Seau and co there lives really it's a thing the league needed to look at 20 years ago.

Sorry to say for the above it was too late.The NFL have been dragging there feet on this and really have waited for the bomb which has gone off before reacting as we and alot have no doubt seen Concussion the movie.They were in denial but now they realise with costs escalating and protecting there employees to the best of there ability is actually the way to go.

7 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Well one guy that could have benefited is gone now...willy mo.

For me, it's mostly about breaking down once you get there.  You cannot control yourself properly if you're still approaching the ball carrier on a line, with full momentum. 

As you near the striking zone, you have square yourself and break down with your knees bent,  legs further apart, eyes on the belt buckle, ready to strike in either direction in the open field.

There are times for full tilt slobber knocking however.  Usually when a guy is pinned in by a wall of players or the sideline,  or you know the man is in the process of catching the ball etc...Then by all means come in fast & violent with your head up & strike shoulder first on the target.  

The only thing I'll correct here is target area the lower the better.

Believe it or not and rugby players will tell you this by targeting the hips a player can use his hip to knock you out.We call it a hip bump its when what has been mentioned gets head and shoulder in there the player with the ball raises hip in contact and catches the tackler with is hip round the ear region which for any boxers out there will tell you taking a shot in that region stuns you and you lose balance and it disrupts your equilibrium.

Target area hips and down on contact head up which straightens 1. Your neck 2.your back which should there in give you great leverage as your hitting lower with the body moving in an upwards angle. 

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

Bingo and the winner is.

With all the concussion type business that is costing the NFL millions and players like Jnr Seau and co there lives really it's a thing the league needed to look at 20 years ago.

Sorry to say for the above it was too late.The NFL have been dragging there feet on this and really have waited for the bomb which has gone off before reacting as we and alot have no doubt seen Concussion the movie.They were in denial but now they realise with costs escalating and protecting there employees to the best of there ability is actually the way to go.

This is real stuff.  I think we're in front of the nfl curve in this whole matter.  Rugby players learn this not just for reasons of efficiency but because if you lead with your head in rugby, you will literally knock yourself out, or break bones including nose, eye sockets, teeth, etc.  Now a guy transitioning from football, who takes up the game of rugby will oftentimes learn this the hard way.  Fortunately, it usually only takes one collision LOL.  When I turned down a scholarship to play football at UTA in TX, I was enthralled with going to Georgia Southern with a 4-1 girl to guy ratio.  I was sold the second I passed by sweetheart circle and saw the beauty queens sprawled accross the lawn in their bathing suits... man!  And so when Erk Russell told me I was ineligible to play for his team as it was in it's infancy (I got football fever back), I decided to play rugby instead.  So when I say learning to tackle rugby style the hard way, I'm speaking from experience LOL. (cracked nose bone).  I tended to lead with my helmet LOL.  

7 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

The only thing I'll correct here is target area the lower the better.

Believe it or not and rugby players will tell you this by targeting the hips a player can use his hip to knock you out.We call it a hip bump its when what has been mentioned gets head and shoulder in there the player with the ball raises hip in contact and catches the tackler with is hip round the ear region which for any boxers out there will tell you taking a shot in that region stuns you and you lose balance and it disrupts your equilibrium.

Target area hips and down on contact head up which straightens 1. Your neck 2.your back which should there in give you great leverage as your hitting lower with the body moving in an upwards angle. 

Actually, we are in unison on this.  I used the concentrating on the belt buckle illustration only as a way to not be juked by other peripheral distractions.  If you keep your eyes centered in that area, you are much less prone to extraneous movement of his head or limbs and won't react to all that. You'll stay locked in to movement from only his body base. When his navel/belt begins to move in a direction, you react only to that.  Even if you see sideward movement it is much less dramatic and you are able to recover more quickly.  

ABSOLUTELY you take the legs out.  Period, end of story.  It sickens me to watch so many nfl players bounce off from high tackling or nothing but arm tackling.  Especially high, arm tackling LOL.  You'd think guys at the nfl or even the college level would have better understanding of the basics of tackling.  

17 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

NOOOOOOOOOOO how can this be get an actual RUGBY coach to teach NFL players to use shoulder type tackling how can this be why NOW.I been on this for at least 3 years.

Sorry HASH for being this way but for the love of God at last common sense has prevailed.

PS English are ****E at Rugby and there are at least half a dozen coaches down this end of the world who are more qualified than Lancaster teach this skill. 

You and me brother...I lold when I saw they brought in Lancaster. I guess they couldn't find any kiwis since we seem to be coaching most national and competition teams in the world lol

That's all well and good, but when you tackle a ball carrier low, you allow his momentum to take him forward in the tackle and concede a small amount of territory in the process.

That 1-2 yards per tackle doesn't usually matter too much on a rugby field, but  football is a game of inches, where small amounts of territory can be critical. That is why the contact and the "form tackle" in right and football are so different, and why pads are a necessity in the NFL

I am not saying we shouldn't do it. I am just saying that there are pros and cons to rugby style tackling, although I can see the attraction given that it is safer...

2 hours ago, ukfalc said:

That's all well and good, but when you tackle a ball carrier low, you allow his momentum to take him forward in the tackle and concede a small amount of territory in the process.

That 1-2 yards per tackle doesn't usually matter too much on a rugby field, but  football is a game of inches, where small amounts of territory can be critical. That is why the contact and the "form tackle" in right and football are so different, and why pads are a necessity in the NFL

I am not saying we shouldn't do it. I am just saying that there are pros and cons to rugby style tackling, although I can see the attraction given that it is safer...

UK I agree but what your talking about is most probably around the LOS.You can get away with near the mentioned because in most cases you can get #ers to the ball.

Open field tackling its rugby style of tackling all the way.

23 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

NOOOOOOOOOOO how can this be get an actual RUGBY coach to teach NFL players to use shoulder type tackling how can this be why NOW.I been on this for at least 3 years.

Kiwi - ask the Auzzies how S***e we are at rugby... 

True our coach in now an Auzzie, but still - bet you guys enjoyed that almost as much as us.

As for Lancaster, he may not be the best manager/tactician but his technical coaching was First class...

1 hour ago, Neilbrt said:

Kiwi - ask the Auzzies how S***e we are at rugby... 

True our coach in now an Auzzie, but still - bet you guys enjoyed that almost as much as us.

As for Lancaster, he may not be the best manager/tactician but his technical coaching was First class...

Tell you what grew up with one of my favourite players of all time being an Aussie.You can give me Mark Ella all day as my #10 loved that guy he now helps Eddie with the English aswell that guy is just pure play what you see not a structured bone in his body.

On 30/06/2016 at 6:26 AM, kiwifalcon said:

England just beat the Aussies 3-0 and are currently no. 2 in the world behind the All Blacks, so I think S***E might be a stretch.

There may be better coaches but they don't have the spare time that Lancaster is currently enjoying :-), to be fair to Lancaster he's really good at coaching the fundamentals of Rugby (similar to Quinn). He had a lot of success with the England development teams and lot of the current set up have him to thank - he just didn't have what it takes at the very top level.

20 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

England just beat the Aussies 3-0 and are currently no. 2 in the world behind the All Blacks, so I think S***E might be a stretch.

There may be better coaches but they don't have the spare time that Lancaster is currently enjoying :-), to be fair to Lancaster he's really good at coaching the fundamentals of Rugby (similar to Quinn). He had a lot of success with the England development teams and lot of the current set up have him to thank - he just didn't have what it takes at the very top level.

Smiler the only reason why those Northern hemisphere teams are sought of good now is that they all for the most part have a NZ or Aussie influence and that's all of them bar France.

Reason being is because they play negatively and needed change there style of play to keep up with the Southern Hemisphere teams.They used to play slow set piece rugby.Now they have the mentioned influence the games is played with more skill and is more positive.

Seriously Lancaster's a DONKEY bro him and the previous idiots that used to coach England would'nt know good rugby if it came and shat on there face's.

If you came to NZ right now I could find at least half a dozen guys in our country as if not more technically proficient than Lancaster and that's the truth.You guys and others may think this guy is someone but in the world of rugby he's middle of the road.

2 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Smiler the only reason why those Northern hemisphere teams are sought of good now is that they all for the most part have a NZ or Aussie influence and that's all of them bar France.

Reason being is because they play negatively and needed change there style of play to keep up with the Southern Hemisphere teams.They used to play slow set piece rugby.Now they have the mentioned influence the games is played with more skill and is more positive.

Seriously Lancaster's a DONKEY bro him and the previous idiots that used to coach England would'nt know good rugby if it came and shat on there face's.

If you came to NZ right now I could find at least half a dozen guys in our country as if not more technically proficient than Lancaster and that's the truth.You guys and others may think this guy is someone but in the world of rugby he's middle of the road.

Yeah but you are biased kiwi ;-) 

Of course there are better coaches in world rugby than Stuart Lancaster, in both the northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere, but that doesn't mean he is a bad coach, certainly not a donkey, and this is nothing short of positive for our defense. 

5 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

Yeah but you are biased kiwi ;-) 

Of course there are better coaches in world rugby than Stuart Lancaster, in both the northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere, but that doesn't mean he is a bad coach, certainly not a donkey, and this is nothing short of positive for our defense. 

Biased hmmmm yes maybe I am but if you had the same knowledge and know the world coaching landscape you'd understand where I'm coming from.For me guys like Lancaster and many other coaches of this guys ilk from there parts of the world just aren't very good in my eyes.

I have a look at the team he coached and the product they put on the field says to me they were very rigid and structured in how they play which in the modern game of rugby I'm sorry Smiler but is a death sentence.The last RWC England in Lancasters hands were in a word PATHETIC.

The difference between Northern v Sothern Hemisphere coaches is the latter coach adaptability into there game so when a team is doing certain things the team is able to adapt to that style ie make adjustments from what I saw of Lancasters English side they didn't adapt they sat back and stayed the course.Sound familiar now if you want a coach like that helping us out God help you.Not for me gotta be adaptable think and adjust on the fly that's how I want my players coached regardless of the skill being taught. 

As far as rugby coaches go I stick to my guns Lancasters a Donkey.Talk to other rugby guys who support the Falcons and follow world rugby they'll tell you the same.