Goodwin is an interesting long shot for Falcons

By D. Orlando Ledbetter - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

FLOWERY BRANCH — When the Falcons reconvene for training camp, cornerback C.J. Goodwin will be one of the long shots to make the 53-man roster.

But that won’t deter Goodwin, who worked on a farm at Mel Blount’s Youth Home for six years mostly cutting grass before becoming a counselor to young males who face child abuse and neglect.

Goodwin, 26, and Blount’s son, Akil, attended The Linsly School in West Va.

“I’ve known him since I was in the ninth grade,” Goodwin said. “I started out as a farm hand, cutting grass. Then he transitioned me into a counselor position where I worked with kids from ages 17 to 7. That was a blessing. I hold that dear to my heart.”

Blount, the Hall of Fame defensive back from Vidalia, Ga., saw something in Goodwin, a former basketball player, who played just two seasons of college football at the Division II level. He made a call to the Pittsburgh Steelers to recommend they took a look at Goodwin.

He was granted a tryout in June 2014 and was later added to the 90-man roster on Aug. 31, 2014. He spent the 2104 season on Pittsburgh’s practice squad before being released on Aug. 31, 2015.

The Falcons signed Goodwin as a wide receiver to the practice squad on Nov. 13, 2015 and released LaRon Byrd.

Late in Dan Quinn’s first season, the Falcons had Goodwin line up against All-Pro wide receiver Julio Jones.

“It was more fun than anything,” Goodwin said. “I really didn’t know what I was doing when they put me out there just to be an athlete. I made a few plays.”

Goodwin, who’s 6-foot-3 and 190 pounds, turned a few heads.

“Guarding Julio Jones is not the easiest job on the planet,” Quinn said. “We said, ‘we might have something here.’ ”

After consulting with defensive backs coach Marquand Manuel, Goodwin was moved to cornerback.

“We talked to him after the season and said we wanted to go down this road,” Quinn said. “He wanted to do it. He’s going full-time at corner now. We’ll leave him there and see what it looks like. He’s got great ball skills.”

During OTAs and at the team’s minicamp, Goodwin continued to find the ball. He made an nice interception of a Matt Schaub pass and returned it for touchdown.

“The transition now, it’s still fun, but there is just a lot to learn,” Goodwin said. “I’ll figure it out.”

Goodwin played two seasons of basketball at Bethany College before giving football a try at Fairmont State. He caught 24 passes for 440 yards and four touchdowns at the NCAA Division II school.

After his coach was fired, Goodwin followed him to California (Pa.) and played mostly special teams for one season. He had 11 catches for 131 yards and a touchdown.

Blount told Goodwin if he had a good season, he’d call the Steelers on his behalf. While it wasn’t the senior season both had envisioned, Blount kept true to his promise.

Goodwin helped his cause by running the 40-yard dash in 4.41 seconds and posted a 40-inch vertical jump at a combine hosted by the Detroit Lions.

The Falcons, with the four-game suspension of Jalen Collins, have a need at right cornerback. Goodwin is trying to master nuances of the position and will have to show the coaches he’s willing and capable of tackling when the pads come on.

“I think my athletic ability from basketball will help a lot,” said Goodwin, a former point guard.

While he sparkled this offseason, Goodwin knows it will be a difficult conversion.

“On offense, you know what’s going on,” Goodwin said. “You know where you’re supposed to be. On defense, you have to be in the area. You have to read off what the wide receiver is doing. I think it’s the hardest position in sports.”

Goodwin still volunteers at the youth and stays in contact with Blount about once a month when he’s away.

He can’t really take some of Blount’s tips from the Steel Curtain Era.

“He was more old school,” Goodwin said. “He’d rough you up. We can’t do that now.”

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/football/goodwin-is-an-interesting-long-shot-for-falcons/nrnmH/

Report: Atlanta Falcons DB C.J. Goodwin could help team at cornerback in 2016

By James Rael

The Atlanta Falcons don't have a lot of depth at cornerback heading into training camp. Given Jalen Collins' suspension and what could fairly be construed as poor roster management, the Falcons' CB corps is a little top heavy. That will give some relative unknowns a fair shot at making the week 1 roster.

C.J. Goodwin is a name that should ring a bell. He spent time on the Falcons practice squad last season as a wide receiver. Now he's playing some cornerback and drawing rave reviews from the coaching staff. D. Orlando Ledbetter did an entire piece about his transition and potential to fill out the back end of the CB corps. (Go read it now, if you haven't already.)
"Guarding Julio Jones is not the easiest job on the planet," Quinn said. "We said, ‘we might have something here.'" After consulting with defensive backs coach Marquand Manuel, Goodwin was moved to cornerback. "We talked to him after the season and said we wanted to go down this road," Quinn said. "He wanted to do it. He's going full-time at corner now. We'll leave him there and see what it looks like. He's got great ball skills."

It's funny what guarding arguably the best wide receiver in the game can do for your career. The Falcons, to their credit, have a good track record when it comes to find defensive backs in the rough. With any luck, Goodwin can take a few snaps in Collins' absence and play capably.

Your thoughts?

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2016/6/28/12049100/report-atlanta-falcons

Hate to say it because it is a nice feel good piece but if I was a betting man I'd  say he's a goner in the 2nd or 3rd stage of cuts. He's competing against guys who have spend many years being teached the finer nuances of the game. It's a really big long shot for him to make the team and even then I'd guess as a practise squad guy initially only. Hope the best for him. 

36 minutes ago, primetime said:

Hate to say it because it is a nice feel good piece but if I was a betting man I'd  say he's a goner in the 2nd or 3rd stage of cuts. He's competing against guys who have spend many years being teached the finer nuances of the game. It's a really big long shot for him to make the team and even then I'd guess as a practise squad guy initially only. Hope the best for him. 

Glad they only have two rounds of cuts then! B)

Money needs to be saved at that position imo. Especially with the round of up and coming resignings over the next couple of years. They have to see what they have in him and find other playmakers behind Tru & Al. If one of these late-rounders/unknowns ends up being a much-needed quality pick-up then we could sacrifice an upcoming large contract in exchange for a potentially lower-costing high-end trade deal. I love Tru but imo he's not indispensable unless he's willing to sign a franchise friendly deal. This franchise REALLY has to get out of the habit of overpaying and under-utilized trade opportunities.

Edited by Gimme.
55 minutes ago, Gimme. said:

Money needs to be saved at that position imo. Especially with the round of up and coming resignings over the next couple of years. They have to see what they have in him and find other playmakers behind Tru & Al. If one of these late-rounders/unknowns ends up being a much-needed quality pick-up then we could sacrifice an upcoming large contract in exchange for a potentially lower-costing high-end trade deal. I love Tru but imo he's not indispensable unless he's willing to sign a franchise friendly deal. This franchise REALLY has to get out of the habit of overpaying and under-utilized trade opportunities.

****, we should also be looking for a replacement for Alford. He might be a Saint in disguise anyway! Only joking but I, along with others, don't think we can keep Rocky with Trufant being the priority. 

I like Goodwin, I hope he balls out and makes it. Having a 6'3" corner that runs a 4.41 with good ballskills never hurt anybody.

On a side note, even though it's the boring part of the offseason, I love these "[Fringe Player X] COULD make an impact for the Falcons." Articles from D.Led and other writers. It's like "no really? A football player on a team might be able to help them?" That's about as safe to presume as it is that any given D.Led article will have grammatical or typographic mistakes.

I don't think Goodwin is a longshot to make the roster, but also think his odds of starting in place of Collins are very slim. Collins would be fighting off King even without the suspension. It is Kings job to lose, and if he picks up were last season left off Collins might not get the spot back! (although being a high second round pick affords you more opportunities)

It will be a great story if this young man can make the team and contribute. We'll know more about him and the UDFAs when the bullets start flying in a month.

P.S.: Not to derail the thread, but this is perhaps the best artical YKW has ever written, and he still makes a point by sticking a needle in my eye with stuff like this:

Blount, the Hall of Fame defensive back from Vidalia, Ga., saw something in Goodwin, a former basketball player, who played just two seasons of college football at the Division II level. He made a call to the Pittsburgh Steelers to recommend they took a look at Goodwin.

He was granted a tryout in June 2014 and was later added to the 90-man roster on Aug. 31, 2014. He spent the 2104 season on Pittsburgh’s practice squad before being released on Aug. 31, 2015.

SMH.

Anyway, I'll be happy if Goodwin can at least increase the competition in practice so that King and Collins are much stronger players. Competition is what drives position groups to greatness.

18 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

It will be a great story if this young man can make the team and contribute. We'll know more about him and the UDFAs when the bullets start flying in a month.

P.S.: Not to derail the thread, but this is perhaps the best artical YKW has ever written, and he still makes a point by sticking a needle in my eye with stuff like this:

SMH.

Anyway, I'll be happy if Goodwin can at least increase the competition in practice so that King and Collins are much stronger players. Competition is what drives position groups to greatness.

Yep some players look good in shorts, but when the pads come on and the real hitting begins, some might not look as good at that point. I think the Falcons really want to get a good look at Goodwin when the actual tackling begins, to see how he takes to that important part of his switch to the Defensive side of the ball. It certainly appears that he already has the necessary athleticism, cover skills, and play-making ability to do well at CB. If he can tackle too, then all he would need would be the reps to help gain the needed experience.

And yes, even if DLed writes a decent article, it will still have grammatical errors in it.

As for competition at the Cornerback position, a team can never have too many competent CBs.

Man, if King works out and Collins can get his head out of his ***, we potentially have three CBs that are taller than 6 feet on our roster. I know the league is trending that direction, but I don't think we've ever had three as tall as 6 feet before, let alone any who were 6'3".

Can't wait to see what he's got once we get to training camp and the preseason games. As Quinn said about him recently, Goodwin's done everything he's supposed to have done up to this point, the next step is seeing how he holds up once the pads come on and he has to start tackling people.

We won't really know what we have in him as a CB until then, but so far so good.

Ricardo Allen's comments on Goodwin at the end of minicamp:

"Someone who can benefit from Allen’s guidance is C.J. Goodwinicon-article-link.gif: another intriguing prospect who’s shifting to a new position. The wide receiver-turned-cornerback has raised a lot of eyebrows by tallying an interception in each of the last two practices—the latter of which was returned for a touchdown. He can certainly gain a lot of insight from Allen, who went through a position change last offseason.

“He’s smart, and he’s not afraid to compete with anybody,” Allen said of Goodwin. “As a wide receiver, coming from the (offensive) side of the ball, he attacks the ball really well. He also sees routes early. So he comes with a lot of knowledge from being on the offense. Him transitioning, and him coming out of his breaks—he’s been doing well.

“If you don’t know anything, the only thing you can do is learn. So if he keeps learning from the coaches, the coaches aren’t going to give you any bad techniques. So you really don’t have any bad techniques. He played good.”

1 hour ago, Canadian Jangus said:

Who teachered you?

I've always found the spelling Nazi's to be someone ***** in real life. Considering some of us post off IPhone 5s (pretty small keypad) sometimes we hit the wrong keys or miss words when checking our posts. I'd prefer to just talk football if that alright with you.