Jamie Dukes just said on NFL Network...

1 minute ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

Yes he is right, we do not have a pass rush. We were at the very bottom of the league in sacks last year and did little to address it. We are hoping the addition of Upshaw, Shelby  and Quinn having the players he wants will improve the pass rush. Until the team gets on the field and produces you can't truthly say we have a pass rush. 

Well wouldn't it help if we drafted linebackers that can cover so the DL has more time? 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, delaigle said:

Up here in the boonies I'm a Dish customer --so right now  NO NFL network--the contract expired and they are not airing NFL right now.

I saw that on the news. You're not missing much during the offseason besides 'A Football Life' re-runs and Jamie Dukes.

5 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

Just want everyone to know that Dukes said that. I knew Beasley's stats which is why I...:doh: and had to make this post. He has as much NFL insight as Erin Andrews...and at least she gives us something to look at.

I know. It wasn't directed at you. It's just frustrating that reporters and "analysts" scrutinize the Falcons, yet they almost never even get the facts right to begin with

3 minutes ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

Yes he is right, we do not have a pass rush. We were at the very bottom of the league in sacks last year and did little to address it. We are hoping the addition of Upshaw, Shelby  and Quinn having the players he wants will improve the pass rush. Until the team gets on the field and produces you can't truthly say we have a pass rush. 

Quick: Name the cornerbacks we drafted this year and tell us again why he's right.

1 minute ago, SpongeDad said:

I think he's going back all the way to Trufant & Alford otherwise he makes no sense, like you said.

I get what he was trying to say. There were better, more insightful ways to say it instead of making a flip comment to state his point. First, he ignored the fact that even his generalization was wrong; we rarely draft cornerbacks. Second, he ignored the role that the second level and back end of our defense played in our lack of sack production last season. Third, he ignored the fact that Beasley had more than a couple of sacks.

It reminds me of a couple of idiots on my local radio who one year decided to do their "NFL preview". When they got to Atlanta, they said that "well, umm... they have TJ Duckett running for them and he's okay." Only problem was that Duckett was in Seattle by then, by way of Washington. So, not only did they know squat about the Falcons, they also were clueless on two other teams. It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

47 minutes ago, conalthomas said:

Let's be honest, it's a pretty shallow analysis that could have been done by anyone who pays a bit of attention to the NFL.  That said, the chances are he's right - only two teams will make the Superbowl, so even if the Falcons end up being in the top 10 teams, they still are more likely to not make the Superbowl than to make it.  The Falcons had problems sacking the QB last year, and even really committed, tuned-in Falcons fans need a somewhat less-than-obvious argument about how it was addressed, and I don't think anyone is really certain it will work.  The Falcons did not make really glaringly obvious moves to fix the pass rush, and so I would expect shallow analyses to look much like this.

Keep asking this, what would you have done this offseason to fix the pass rush?

Thank god for Jamie Dukes.  I've been waiting

patiently for a football genius  to tell me the most obvious weakness the

Falcons have had over the past several years, because I've only watched every game over that span.

(I have nothing serious against Dukes, but I do  think he's so in love with the sound of his own voice that he

literally does not really concentrate on the words he uses.  He just likes to talk.  And talk.  And talk. )

1 hour ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

With a torn labrum, as a rookie.

Beas will be special when it all clicks over the next two seasons, if not this year.

Exactly, dont listen to any of the media they have no clue.

not to mention Dukes is still trying to get over his torn labia from when then Falcons released him.

I'd rather hear nothing about the Falcons from anyone outside the organization than the bs I've heard all offseason from people who look at what we have for literally one minute and write us off. As Jamie dukes just showed, no one on the outside even knows correct stats, so how are they going to have any meaningful analysis? They act like we've made no improvement to the team at all. I think they literally ignore our acquisitions through the draft and free agency. 

Edited by Drew4719
1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Jamie Dukes is the worst.  And no, B_Lo, he's not right.  Saying we have no pass rush because Beasley only had 2 sacks and we only draft cornerbacks is not only wrong, it's stupid.

I have to disagree. We were worst in the league with an abysmal 19 sacks. I have faith we can get former players to come in and at least match former years but that's 4 sacks. Vic will probably have more than last year but even if Beasley gets double digit sacks and someone else miraculously gets double digit sacks, were still only around 16th in sacks. 

Not saying this isnt possible, but its pure optimism at this point. I think we will get constant pressure if we can get a push up the middle but that's just me being a fan.

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Keep asking this, what would you have done this offseason to fix the pass rush?

I've asked this question to several this off-season with 0 replies of any substance.

While I agree it remains to be seen but saying the Falcons have sat on there hands and done nothing is about as clueless as it gets.I put DQ's abilities to develop guys as another answer they could have gave but I think a lot still think Sugarbear was still the d-line coach.

I still think some dummies on here won't think the pass rush is fixed until TD goes and spends 80-100 mill in FA or falls into the next Vonn Miller in the Draft type deal then it'll be fixed OR even worse we go add some locker room wrecker like Hardy on the roster and think that'll fix it.