King Approaches 2016 With A New Mentality

King Approaches 2016 With A New Mentality

Andrew Hirsh

Atlantafalcons.com

Akeem King has grown substantially since joining the Falcons, and with a chance to earn a lot of reps in 2016, the second-year defensive back is confident he can take big strides next season.

Last spring, Akeem King entered OTAs with the same goal of every rookie drafted in the seventh round: earn a job. He accomplished that—first on the practice squad, then on the active roster—and after spending a year learning from Atlanta’s robust coaching staff, the San Jose State product has set new, ambitious expectations for himself.

“I’m going to come out and start—nothing less,” King said Tuesday. “Just trying to be the best. That’s the mentality.”

The thought of King starting, or at least being a significant contributor off the bench, isn’t far-fetched at this point. His transition from safety to cornerback is completed. He’s grown confident in his understanding of the playbook. And, thanks to the extra work he did as a member of Dan Quinn’s “Plan D” program, he’s developed some crucial skills—namely lateral quickness and deep coverage.

“I feel a lot more comfortable,” he said. “I was kind of new to the position last year, so having a whole offseason to get to watch film and get better at corner really helped me a lot.”

In addition to fine-tuning his technique, Atlanta’s coaches have asked King to approach 2016 with more intensity. Giving 100 percent three out of four times won’t cut it, Quinn explained—especially when you play for an organization that values competition as much as the Falcons.

“That was the thing we challenged with Akeem during the offseason, the urgency to play and finish,” Quinn said. “Playing outside, and playing in this league where you go against some top guys, you have to keep at it every single play. That’s a hard mindset for a corner, one we’ve asked him to work on a bunch.”

Though OTAs don’t include pads or tackling, King has displayed that urgency over the past couple of weeks. If he continues to do so, and if he shows he can handle the NFL’s best wide receivers, he should be an important part of the defense in 2016.

“I’m a whole new player,” said King. “I feel like the coaches have seen the improvement. I’ve been out here making plays that I didn’t make last year. I’m breaking up passes I didn’t break up last year; I’ve been better and guarding receivers altogether. I’m just on top of the route a lot better. I think the coaches have been impressed with what I’ve done so far.”

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/blog/article-1/King-Approaches-2016-With-a-Different-Mentality/0e36e37a-cb2d-4d06-a585-e98362a9cf6b

Tip of the Hat to DQ for his Plan D initiative:

Beyond the draft class, Atlanta will continue its focus on “Plan D,” which involves adding college free agents and helping practice squad members reach their potential. This effort began last year when Quinn hired assistants who focus on those at the bottom of the depth chart

link to quote

No doubt DQ has been influenced by UDFA's contribution to Seattle's success story.     The Seahawks have nine starting UDFA and seven UDFA role players.      

7 minutes ago, falcoatlantae said:

Tip of the Hat to DQ for his Plan D initiative:

link to quote

No doubt DQ has been influenced by UDFA's contribution to Seattle's success story.     The Seahawks have nine starting UDFA and seven UDFA role players.      

That is awesome, Quinn is doing everything he can to make these guys better.

If King has an impact on this defense then picks 1, 3, 4, 5, and 7 will all have been good picks last year. And Collins still has a chance to show, which means 6 out of 7 of our draft picks could be potential contributors.

Meanwhile, this years draft suggests that Neal, Jones, Campbell, Hooper, Schweitzer, and even Fuller have potential roles on the starting team. That is pretty incredible.

I hope he does great for us this year. I'm more concerned about a safety converting to cornerback than vice versa, though. Corner takes a lot more instinct and instantaneous reaction than safety does (in my opinion, anyway). Hopefully, he learns more from practice than he does in games.

Said it many times, he was my favorite player that we drafted in 15.  I was ecstatic when we drafted him because he was a player I had mocked a few times.  He's got the physical attributes and it's good to see him getting reps with the first team.

He almost makes up for that bust of a 2nd round pick.

I hope he can contribute, that would help radically.

He and Collins have nearly identical measurables (King was heavier, with a touch slower 3 cone but the same otherwise) so if those two can compete with each other for the "tall corner" spot, they'll make each other better.

2 hours ago, takeitdown said:

I hope he can contribute, that would help radically.

He and Collins have nearly identical measurables (King was heavier, with a touch slower 3 cone but the same otherwise) so if those two can compete with each other for the "tall corner" spot, they'll make each other better.

I've got to wonder what would happen if King dropped down to 205 lbs. rather than his pro-day 215 lbs.   He'd then approximate the pre-draft weight of both Collins (203) and Darelle Revis (204).  

Just now, falcoatlantae said:

I've got to wonder what would happen if King dropped down to 205 lbs. rather than his pro-day 215 lbs.   He'd then approximate the pre-draft weight of both Collins (203) and Darelle Revis (204).  

Yeah, I hope that's what he did this offseason, or at least push weight in his legs, lowering his center of gravity.  You don't need a ton of weight up top at corner, and being a bit lighter might help his agility.

16 minutes ago, atljbo said:

I like it ... That plan D program is big ... Our previous problem was we did not develop players ...

We have some young talent including 2 young tall CBs .. Its all about the development.   

Like many on the boards,  I'm excited about having Sharrod Neasman on the team.   He's got the athleticism.  He looks on tape to have some football IQ.   Now let Plan D coach him up ...

And let's not forget about another 2015 UDFA, Robensen Therezie.  He's got top-performer athleticism.   Let's see how much he has learned this offseason.

9 minutes ago, falcoatlantae said:

Like many on the boards,  I'm excited about having Sharrod Neasman on the team.   He's got the athleticism.  He looks on tape to have some football IQ.   Now let Plan D coach him up ...

And let's not forget about another 2015 UDFA, Robensen Therezie.  He's got top-performer athleticism.   Let's see how much he has learned this offseason.

Yeah Therezie haven't been mentioned much this offseason, but I wouldn't be surprised if he improved as well.

48 minutes ago, falcoatlantae said:

Thats why i said we have young talent .

You have to see how the guy play when pads come on but we are starting to finally have young talent

Now its developmental time