Falcons DL coach Bryan Cox said he is hoping "to see some improvement" from third-year DL Ra'Shede Hageman.

"He’s more alert in meetings. He’s trying to work his butt off," Cox said. "I think he’s done a good job this offseason of working to get his pad level lower and working on his ankle flexing and some of the things that can make him a better player." After struggling in limited snaps at defensive tackle through two seasons, the Falcons moved Hageman to defensive end this offseason to help get his career on track. This could be a make-or-break season for the former second-round pick.

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution 

Jun 6 - 12:04 PM

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Crazy Trav said:

Falcons DL coach Bryan Cox said he is hoping "to see some improvement" from third-year DL Ra'Shede Hageman.

"He’s more alert in meetings. He’s trying to work his butt off," Cox said. "I think he’s done a good job this offseason of working to get his pad level lower and working on his ankle flexing and some of the things that can make him a better player." After struggling in limited snaps at defensive tackle through two seasons, the Falcons moved Hageman to defensive end this offseason to help get his career on track. This could be a make-or-break season for the former second-round pick.

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution 

Jun 6 - 12:04 PM

How is someone trying to work their butt off? Either you is or you isn't.

Bad choice of words.

I almost feel like coach Cox has been babysitting him the past two years. Hageman was the player I was most excited about when drafted. He's always been an unfocused monster. Hageman HAS to have a breakout year in 2016 in order to not to be considered a 2nd rd bust.

The AJCs conclusion " this could be a make or break season"

This speculation allows for the possibility that "this may not be a make or break season"

Just taking a quote from Cox, pouring it in the sauce and stirring the pot. We all want Hagemen to step it up and play better, but he's not playing badly where he's on the bubble  as the article implies.

49 minutes ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

Hate this part of the season. What coach hasn't wished to see improvements from his players? No coach ever has said "I really hope Player X regresses this year."

No, but there are some bubble players that really need to improve to fill a spot in the lineup, and some that don't even necessarily need to, you just hope that they don't regress.

I mean, how bizarre would it be to see an article titled, "Falcons hoping for improvement from Julio Jones".

I think it's positive to hear that Hagemen is supposedly putting in the effort, considering we all know what a monster he could be if he ever puts it together...  I'll believe it when I see it, but it's worth monitoring whether this 2nd rounder can finally help our D-line, or is another Dmitroff whiff.

1 minute ago, B3TD said:

No, but there are some bubble players that really need to improve to fill a spot in the lineup, and some that don't even necessarily need to, you just hope that they don't regress.

I mean, how bizarre would it be to see an article titled, "Falcons hoping for improvement from Julio Jones".

I think it's positive to hear that Hagemen is supposedly putting in the effort, considering we all know what a monster he could be if he ever puts it together...  I'll believe it when I see it, but it's worth monitoring whether this 2nd rounder can finally help our D-line, or is another Dmitroff whiff.

That part is good to hear. Hageman has shown flashes of just destroying people before. There was that last Carolina game where Hags and Beasley just were complete manbeasts the entire game, like Cam Newton slapped both of their mommas before the game. If we can bring that out of them even half the season we'll be a drastically better defense.

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

The AJCs conclusion " this could be a make or break season"

This speculation allows for the possibility that "this may not be a make or break season"

Just taking a quote from Cox, pouring it in the sauce and stirring the pot. We all want Hagemen to step it up and play better, but he's not playing badly where he's on the bubble  as the article implies.

He's definitely not playing badly. He's not a waste of a roster spot. That being said, I think this third season is where he needs to put all the pieces together and it all needs to click for him to be considered a good second round pick.

I'm feeling really optimistic about his move to DE. I know he played there a lot in college, and maybe that's where he feels most comfortable, and where he'll be more personally motivated to succeed. 

All I do know is that if he does take that next step in his development, he'll be a real beast and make this D look a whole lot tougher.

2 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

I almost feel like coach Cox has been babysitting him the past two years. Hageman was the player I was most excited about when drafted. He's always been an unfocused monster. Hageman HAS to have a breakout year in 2016 in order to not to be considered a 2nd rd bust.

I was ultra-excited for his potential and was happy we picked him. I know he can be a force (dude is essentially a walking refrigerator that can bench press 2 refrigerators) - he just needs to get his mind right. 

There is a poster who says he has a spread sheet and then compares number of players by position kept last year with number of guys at position currently on the roster.

This year's camp is quite a bit different. Players like Spoon, Toilolo, Weems, Hageman while in no way ignored are pretty marginalized. 

Hageman doesn't fit this Defense and in terms of DL he has to contend with Jarrett, Shelby, Claiborn, TJax, Mbu, an inevitable signee, a flex Beasely and Upshaw. 4 people played his position last year and all 4 and important because of their versatility. 

In the past, Hageman irritated coaches with his lack of effort and also his trouble focusing. He's also oddly sulky, non-instinctive and badly underachieving. It shows up on a high character team with guys like Babs, Jarret, PW, Allen, etc. 

i get what Cox is trying to say and why he's saying they are noting he "trying" to bust his butt. It's probably also why the obvious frustration with him has died down. But you're going to hear an unnamed source in the next couple of weeks say, "we're done giving it to  him." Short yardage and especially FG and punt defense.

I'm excited about the move too. Very good coaching. But he's not our best player there and he can't play there 2nd and short or 3rd + 5, of if we have a lead and the other team is in pass mode. We are not going to toss Shelby and Babs is not only a fantastic player still but we want TJAX spelling him. Absent injuries and a real showing he's dead. They cannot afford to experiment with that edge. We'll see.

Edited by BCurt57