Falcons #3 and #8 on top 10 list of Worst offseason moves!

iDash

6 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Marvin Jones can't carry Julio's jockstrap.

Get real.  65 catches, 816 yards, 4 TDs.  I'm not saying he can't fill in, but Sanu's best season isn't far off of what Marvin did last year.  And last year was Marvin's best season.

****, Julio had more yards last season than Marvin Jones has had in the entire 3 seasons he's played in the NFL (not counting the injury season of 2014).

Obviously there is no replacement for Julio, but Jones 4.3 speed forces the defense to slide coverage which is the goal. Putting down Marvin  only makes the Sanu move more plexing because if you don't think Jones could fill in Sanu definitely won't.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, insight said:

Obviously there is no replacement for Julio, but Jones 4.3 speed forces the defense to slide coverage which is the goal. Putting down Marvin  only makes the Sanu move more plexing because if you don't think Jones could fill in Sanu definitely won't.

I don't think "WR2 who can step in for Julio" is a realistic measure of anything. 

On 6/7/2016 at 3:02 PM, JayOzOne said:

When people suggest that moves are bad, they are basing it on the opportunity cost at the time of the move. It doesn't matter if the move will help the team or how well it might pan out. It's all subjective and debatable. The "experts" aren't suggesting that Neal wasn't a perfect fit, only that (in their opinions) we took him too soon.

Forget the fact that he likely would have been gone before we picked again or that our board is based on our criteria, not theirs. All that we can be sure of is that all of the edge rushers beside Lawson were selected in round two, so had we taken them at #17, we would have objectively reached by doing so.

Regarding Sanu and Mack, our needs at those positions were acute and we had to fill them aggressively. I guarantee, we paid what we needed in order to sign both of them and had we missed, we would have a much different team right now.

It's not a two way street. Players decide where they sign, not the team's. We tried to get Freeman but Chicago had some compelling factor for him to sign there. I don't think we tried to get Matthews because of measurables or Jones because of cost. Sanu and Mack offered value to us at the price we paid.

When you read that we overpaid for a player, they are taking swipes at the front office by suggesting that they don't have market-based priorities. Unless they bidding against themselves, nothing could be further from the truth. This article is just one person's opinion.

Have a 1a and 1b is what made the falcons a cut above the rest of the league. The more players who can demand brackets and draw coverage the better, we currently have 1 on offense. 

39 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I don't think "WR2 who can step in for Julio" is a realistic measure of anything. 

Have a 1a and 1b is what made the falcons a cut above the rest of the league. The more players who can demand brackets and draw coverage the better, we currently have 1 on offense. 

5 minutes ago, insight said:

1a and 1b has never been needed in the wco. The main guys have and always been wr1, the rb, and the TE. That's just how the offense is designed. You just need a capable #2 in this offense. The priority's are heavy on the top wr, rb, and te. That's why TO made Jerry Rice expendable. 1a and 1b just rarely coexist on this system. 

52 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

1a and 1b has never been needed in the wco. The main guys have and always been wr1, the rb, and the TE. That's just how the offense is designed. You just need a capable #2 in this offense. The priority's are heavy on the top wr, rb, and te. That's why TO made Jerry Rice expendable. 1a and 1b just rarely coexist on this system. 

You're right, but John Taylor was a significant part of the Niners' success. Seems like Favre always had several above average receivers as well.

5 hours ago, Intellectually Honest said:

Media says something postive about the Falcons, fans think they are smart. Media says something negative about the team, fans they they are stupid.

I personally like the Keanu pick more and more, however I dislike Sanu is FA less and less.

Me too on both counts. 

Love the A Hooper draft pick as well. 

4 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

You're right, but John Taylor was a significant part of the Niners' success. Seems like Favre always had several above average receivers as well.

John Taylor was usually the 4th receptions leader fur the niners. It was always Rice, Craig, Jones THEN Taylor. I know it seemed like Taylor was up there but he wasn't. I'm not taking about the caliber of the receiver just saying 1a and 1b aren't needed in this scheme. Taylor was a very good receiver but he was still after wr1, RB, and TE. That's just how the wco works. Brett Favre had good receivers but his TE and RB were huge for him on his SB run. It was freeman, Dorsey Levens, then the TE. The other wr's were good but not 1a 1b good. And if they did have a 1a 1b situation 1a left and 1b became a. Just no need for a roddy white/Julio jones situation because the #1 receiver will get the bulk of the passes. That's how the system is designed. Same with Denver. It was Rid Smith, Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe. THEN the #2 wr. 

1 hour ago, TheFatboi said:

The offense especially Kyle's is heavily reliant on the #1 receiver.  If Julio goes down we don't have a Terrell Owens type player waiting in the wings. For the money allocated for Sanu I would have liked to see us acquire someone with that type of upside. 

10 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

John Taylor was usually the 4th receptions leader fur the niners. It was always Rice, Craig, Jones THEN Taylor. I know it seemed like Taylor was up there but he wasn't. I'm not taking about the caliber of the receiver just saying 1a and 1b aren't needed in this scheme. Taylor was a very good receiver but he was still after wr1, RB, and TE. That's just how the wco works. Brett Favre had good receivers but his TE and RB were huge for him on his SB run. It was freeman, Dorsey Levens, then the TE. The other wr's were good but not 1a 1b good. And if they did have a 1a 1b situation 1a left and 1b became a. Just no need for a roddy white/Julio jones situation because the #1 receiver will get the bulk of the passes. That's how the system is designed. Same with Denver. It was Rid Smith, Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe. THEN the #2 wr. 

Last time when ran the WCO we drafted Roddy White and Jenkins in the same year both guys had similar size and speed. I would like to see a similar pairing even though Jenkins never lived up to the 1st round draft status. 

Side note, Rice was expendable but the 49 niners NEVER were the same without him. I think the best coaches in the game evolve and are flexible based on what resources are available.  I know you put a lot of stock in systems, I'm a firm believer systems are successful because personnel brings them to life. I believe they provide a road map but not a blueprint of success. 

17 minutes ago, insight said:

The offense especially Kyle's is heavily reliant on the #1 receiver.  If Julio goes down we don't have a Terrell Owens type player waiting in the wings. For the money allocated for Sanu I would have liked to see us acquire someone with that type of upside. 

Name any team that has a #2 that can fill in for the loss of a Julio? Who could be filled in for Calvin Johnson? Who could've filled in for Randy Moss once he became a #1? Minny had a 1a 1b with carter/moss. That's what Julio and roddy were but they were also in the type of offense that will employ 1a 1b. I feel you on the "what if" scenario but that's just the wco. If OBJ goes down the Giants will be hurt. They run the wco too. But if Julio were to go down sanu and the rest of the wr's gotta step up. And we'd probably use 2 TE's. Sanu would go to #1 and we'd probably use Hooper outside more along with Hardy and Fuller. And if that doesn't work sign a guy if Julio goes down. Long story short it ain't a lot of Julio's just out there. On any team. He's a rare breed. Sanu handled #1 duties when Green was hurt before he'd just have to do it again. But I don't even like speaking injuries into the universe so in gonna stop talking about it 

1 hour ago, TheFatboi said:

Name any team that has a #2 that can fill in for the loss of a Julio? Who could be filled in for Calvin Johnson? Who could've filled in for Randy Moss once he became a #1? Minny had a 1a 1b with carter/moss. That's what Julio and roddy were but they were also in the type of offense that will employ 1a 1b. I feel you on the "what if" scenario but that's just the wco. If OBJ goes down the Giants will be hurt. They run the wco too. But if Julio were to go down sanu and the rest of the wr's gotta step up. And we'd probably use 2 TE's. Sanu would go to #1 and we'd probably use Hooper outside more along with Hardy and Fuller. And if that doesn't work sign a guy if Julio goes down. Long story short it ain't a lot of Julio's just out there. On any team. He's a rare breed. Sanu handled #1 duties when Green was hurt before he'd just have to do it again. But I don't even like speaking injuries into the universe so in gonna stop talking about it 

I'm pointing out one of the rarities that made the Atlanta offense one of the best in the NFL. For many years Roddy was the only real threat which is why we traded the farm for Julio in the 1st place. 

But just for the record OBJ stepped in for Victor Cruz,  Yes the WCO offense typically targets the tight end after the #1 but we had a top 10 offense prior to Shanny. Why reinvent the wheel Dirk didn't switch everything up immediately.  Kyle has never had long term success anywhere which would warrant wholesale changes. 

On 6/5/2016 at 7:11 PM, gazoo said:

The way PFF looks at information, they would have concluded Michael Turner was the worst FA pickup of 2008 coming off 316 yards and 1 TD in 2007. 

Of course, we planned on using him differently so he needed up being an excellent FA pickup, probably the single best of that 2008 class.

The best free agent move in Falcons history was signing Michael Turner.

I like PFF actually and what they are saying about Keanu regarding his issues in college I have seen on a number of other very good sites that break down college play.  keanu had an issue with missing tackles and frankly was a guy you rarely heard mentioned in games.  they will work with him on his tackling issues.  hopefully it's technique or something else that's fixable.  we have had some crap picks, I hope this one turns out to be golden.  mack was a great pickup and will maybe have the biggest impact of any new addition this offseason.  regarding sanu i have seen almost every game he has played in and he had some really nice plays, but he was inconsistent especially with his hands.  he sometimes seems to lose focus in games and that leads to some poor drops.  Sanu has it all physically and hopefully he can become a more consistent wr and makes some explosive plays for this offense. 

2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

I like PFF actually and what they are saying about Keanu regarding his issues in college I have seen on a number of other very good sites that break down college play.  keanu had an issue with missing tackles and frankly was a guy you rarely heard mentioned in games.  they will work with him on his tackling issues.  hopefully it's technique or something else that's fixable.  we have had some crap picks, I hope this one turns out to be golden.  mack was a great pickup and will maybe have the biggest impact of any new addition this offseason.  regarding sanu i have seen almost every game he has played in and he had some really nice plays, but he was inconsistent especially with his hands.  he sometimes seems to lose focus in games and that leads to some poor drops.  Sanu has it all physically and hopefully he can become a more consistent wr and makes some explosive plays for this offense. 

SacFalcFan! Another blast from the past, where you been man, I almost never see you on TATF anymore!