Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iDash

Falcons #3 and #8 on top 10 list of Worst offseason moves!

159 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, insight said:

Julio has went down in previous seasons, this is nothing new. We had enough talent to compete without him, that's just a FACT. 

4-12 is "competing" to you?

ooooooooooooooooooooooookay

Sidecar Falcon likes this

20 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

We competed to a 4-12 record when the screw in his foot broke.

We also lost Roddy that year, Stephen Jackson was also out significant time. No Abe, Grimes, or Spoon. No Left Tackle. Lots of issues with 2013. 

42 minutes ago, insight said:

Heck you don't have to look far,  Marvin Jones is better suited to hold down the #1 receivers responsibilities. 

So your full list of #2 WRs who could replace Julio Jones is Marvin Jones. 

oooooooooooooooooooooookay

JDaveG and Sidecar Falcon like this

6 minutes ago, insight said:

We also lost Roddy that year, Stephen Jackson was also out significant time. No Abe, Grimes, or Spoon. No Left Tackle. Lost of issues with 2013. 

He only missed four other games in his career. You say we "competed" but we went 2-2 in those games. I'm not going to check the injury logs for the two losses. I will respect your opinion but it's subjective as **** and not really worth debate.

I think the number 1 worse move would be this report. Your months away from really knowing what moves were good or bad. It's only opinion. For fans it is ok, but to get paid for stupid opinions without proof is a crime. It's going to make the writer look more stupid when some of these so called bad moves turn out to be great for the teams. They should wait until January 2017 to do this report.

falcoatlantae likes this

12 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

He only missed four other games in his career. You say we "competed" but we went 2-2 in those games. I'm not going to check the injury logs for the two losses. I will respect your opinion but it's subjective as **** and not really worth debate.

I wasn't trying to diminish Julio's impact but back then we had more big time weapons to lean on.   Roddy, Tony, Julio and Turner were all capable of picking up the slack if a player of Julio's stature missed time due to injury.  Turner would require extra guys in the box, teams would have to chose who they were going to bracket because all of our receivers could beat single coverage.  I just don't think we have that type of talent anymore and Sanu is more of a role player than emerging star who has #1 talent. 

I agree not worth debating because I see where you are coming from.

39 minutes ago, RookieBird said:

I think the number 1 worse move would be this report. Your months away from really knowing what moves were good or bad. It's only opinion. For fans it is ok, but to get paid for stupid opinions without proof is a crime. It's going to make the writer look more stupid when some of these so called bad moves turn out to be great for the teams. They should wait until January 2017 to do this report.

When people suggest that moves are bad, they are basing it on the opportunity cost at the time of the move. It doesn't matter if the move will help the team or how well it might pan out. It's all subjective and debatable. The "experts" aren't suggesting that Neal wasn't a perfect fit, only that (in their opinions) we took him too soon.

Forget the fact that he likely would have been gone before we picked again or that our board is based on our criteria, not theirs. All that we can be sure of is that all of the edge rushers beside Lawson were selected in round two, so had we taken them at #17, we would have objectively reached by doing so.

Regarding Sanu and Mack, our needs at those positions were acute and we had to fill them aggressively. I guarantee, we paid what we needed in order to sign both of them and had we missed, we would have a much different team right now.

It's not a two way street. Players decide where they sign, not the team's. We tried to get Freeman but Chicago had some compelling factor for him to sign there. I don't think we tried to get Matthews because of measurables or Jones because of cost. Sanu and Mack offered value to us at the price we paid.

When you read that we overpaid for a player, they are taking swipes at the front office by suggesting that they don't have market-based priorities. Unless they bidding against themselves, nothing could be further from the truth. This article is just one person's opinion.

Ben Day Hoe likes this

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

What he was in cincy has absolutely nothing to do with here. I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up. 

That makes no sense.  It has everything to do with here because his past in the nfl being 2nd to a premier WR is abysmal.  He was outshined by other options as his career progressed.  Why will he be any different here?   And for this amount of money?

And the option who outshined him signed a better contract to be the primary receiver somewhere else. If Jones was better, it has no factor on the value of Sanu, only himself. If Jones was not the #2, Sanu would have been

On 6/7/2016 at 3:23 PM, KRUNKuno said:

That makes no sense.  It has everything to do with here because his past in the nfl being 2nd to a premier WR is abysmal.  He was outshined by other options as his career progressed.  Why will he be any different here?   And for this amount of money?

Sanu is guaranteed 14 mil, that's just not an outrageous amount of money. If he doesn't perform, he'll never see the other 16 mil. Not like they paid him 70 mil.

And, the only year he got targets in CIN, he did exactly what they want him to do here- 100 targets, 60 catches, 800 yards, 5 TDs- that's what roughly what Hankerson was on target for when he went down in week 6.

He didn't get targets in CIN because he had some really good players in front of him at WR and TE and because of the way the offense was run. Won't be the case here.

As has been pointed out, he's the classic WR2 in a WCO. He's big, tall, a willing blocker, after a problem with drops earlier in his career, no drops last year, he's young and seems to be a good locker room guy. 

Looks likes a reasonable signing to me.

4 hours ago, insight said:

Julio has went down in previous seasons, this is nothing new. We had enough talent to compete without him, that's just a FACT. 

That fact is news to me.  When did this happen? 

When people have to resort to hyperbolic fabricating to make their point.....it's just not going to get very far. 

That includes exaggerating about contacts.  Some just don't get how to properly evaluate contracts either.  Anytime players discuss or compare contracts, it's all about the guarantees baby. 

2 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

Abysmal =hyperbole

its so funny cause all these so called big time football folks on this board always talk about this site but then they are negative on some moves and they suck all of sudden

On 6/5/2016 at 6:38 PM, Positive Thinker said:

Like all predictions, they mean nothing until the games play out. I'd like to think we had a great offseason with these moves, as well as nabbing Alex Mack. What could be wrong with that?

get in shape mack

On 6/5/2016 at 7:00 PM, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

'Troffed!

By the end of this season, your going to be glad we got Troffed this off season.. :munch:

1 minute ago, Draftnut57 said:

By the end of this season, your going to be glad we got Troffed this off season.. :munch:

Guess the levity got lost in translation.

It was a joking reference to one of our esteemed older posters who seems to have a ****on for all things Dimitroff. 

JDaveG and Draftnut57 like this

On 6/5/2016 at 5:48 PM, iDash said:

8. Falcons drafting Keanu Neal in the first round

The NFL struggles to evaluate safeties at times. There are so many plays—particularly in college—where they are just ornamental pieces of the defense and occupy space that is never affected on the play. It can become difficult to evaluate their play soundly, and that leads to people fixating on a few highlight-reel plays they make over a season, focusing in on the “can do” aspects of their play, rather than the “how often.”

Keanu Neal has multiple bone-crushing hits on his Florida tape, and his highlight reel would get anybody excited, but those plays are not indicative of his overall production, and over two seasons of PFF grading, he has never been better than average across an entire year. This past season alone, he may have made several big-impact hits, but they came at the cost of missing 16 tackles, and 43 other safeties made more defensive stops than the new Falcon.

Who you going to believe in, the Coach that had  #1 and #2 Defenses in the NFL, or the author of this report?

Ben Day Hoe likes this

On June 7, 2016 at 1:20 PM, insight said:

Heck you don't have to look far,  Marvin Jones is better suited to hold down the #1 receivers responsibilities. 

Marvin Jones can't carry Julio's jockstrap.

Get real.  65 catches, 816 yards, 4 TDs.  I'm not saying he can't fill in, but Sanu's best season isn't far off of what Marvin did last year.  And last year was Marvin's best season.

****, Julio had more yards last season than Marvin Jones has had in the entire 3 seasons he's played in the NFL (not counting the injury season of 2014).

Ben Day Hoe and gazoo like this

Media says something postive about the Falcons, fans think they are smart. Media says something negative about the team, fans they they are stupid.

I personally like the Keanu pick more and more, however I dislike Sanu is FA less and less.