Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iDash

Falcons #3 and #8 on top 10 list of Worst offseason moves!

159 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, insight said:

The Neal criticism is connected to how high he was drafted based on his college production we took him  way too high. I think both moves Neal and Sanu reflect how high TD is on bringing in high character guys into the organization even if there are more talented options available. From a pure talent standpoint we paid a premium for both acquisitions. 

These guys just need something to write about. Sanu only  has 14 million guaranteed. 14 million. Stop acting like he getting 10 million a year. In Quinn’s defense the SS position is a premium position. His skillset is perfect for the defense. It would have been a mistake to pick Lee at 17. We got a better player in the second. If PFF was 100% correct all the time I would listen. They are not so I will trust Quinn first. He would know better than anyone how these players fit. All in on Quinn. PFF just something to read. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To determine if Sanu is overpaid, compare him to what he replaced.

Roddy White 2015 cap hit: $6,212,500

Roddy White 2016 cap hit (if he'd been retained):  $5,587,500

Mohamad Sanu 2016 cap hit: $2,400,000

Mohamad Sanu 2017-2019 cap hit: $7,400,000 per.

So if Sanu is better than Roddy, it's a good deal.  If Sanu is hurt or unproductive (like, less productive than Roddy), it's a bad deal.

That leaves out some factors, like the fact that Roddy was probably overpaid last season.  But with so many folks wanting us to re-sign him at the $5.5 million hit, I'd assume those folks thought he was worth it, so for them at least, this comparison is fair.

The other thing is, Sanu is cuttable after next season and easily cuttable after 2018.  So if he plays 3 years, we'll have paid him $17.2 million and we'll have $2.8 million in dead money, meaning he cost us $20,000,000.00 for 3 years.  That's $6.6 million per year, which is not an unreasonable number for a number 2 WR.

gazoo, me4falcons, SpongeDad and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for the Neal pick, as I said in another thread, that's just stupid.  I don't care how they rated him playing for UF.  He's going to play for the Atlanta Falcons and Quinn clearly has a vision of how to use the dude.  He's supposed to be a box safety who can hit and tackle, but all everyone talks about is how athletic he is, which means we can shift fronts and if anything, Allen becomes a liability in run support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, gazoo said:

How can PFF completely ignore scheme changes when trying to project if they were a good signing?

we don't plan on using Neal or Sanu as their previous teams did. Furthermore, the Mack signing was enormous.

Yeah, who pizzed in PFF's cheerios?  

gazoo and Old Pappy falcon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AtlantaFanatic said:

ummm....no. I heard more concerns about his injury history and lack of production with some "well at least he's played in the system before" mixed in. There may have been 2 or 3 people who were excited about Hank signing here.

Not true.  Some folks were cautiously optimistic but plenty of folks were excited.  It's easy to forget because he ended up not doing much but I think people don't realize what offseasons and the optimism is like here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JDaveG said:

To determine if Sanu is overpaid, compare him to what he replaced.

Roddy White 2015 cap hit: $6,212,500

Roddy White 2016 cap hit (if he'd been retained):  $5,587,500

Mohamad Sanu 2016 cap hit: $2,400,000

Mohamad Sanu 2017-2019 cap hit: $7,400,000 per.

So if Sanu is better than Roddy, it's a good deal.  If Sanu is hurt or unproductive (like, less productive than Roddy), it's a bad deal.

That leaves out some factors, like the fact that Roddy was probably overpaid last season.  But with so many folks wanting us to re-sign him at the $5.5 million hit, I'd assume those folks thought he was worth it, so for them at least, this comparison is fair.

The other thing is, Sanu is cuttable after next season and easily cuttable after 2018.  So if he plays 3 years, we'll have paid him $17.2 million and we'll have $2.8 million in dead money, meaning he cost us $20,000,000.00 for 3 years.  That's $6.6 million per year, which is not an unreasonable number for a number 2 WR.

The numbers say other wise

Roddy White 2015 cap hit: $6,212,500 

46 receptions, 506 yards, 1 TD  plus he to start complain to the media when we were 5 - 0 (Should not be hard to replace)

 

Sanu better be getting 750 - 1200 yards per season to live up to his contract. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, JDaveG said:

To determine if Sanu is overpaid, compare him to what he replaced.

Roddy White 2015 cap hit: $6,212,500

Roddy White 2016 cap hit (if he'd been retained):  $5,587,500

Mohamad Sanu 2016 cap hit: $2,400,000

Mohamad Sanu 2017-2019 cap hit: $7,400,000 per.

So if Sanu is better than Roddy, it's a good deal.  If Sanu is hurt or unproductive (like, less productive than Roddy), it's a bad deal.

That leaves out some factors, like the fact that Roddy was probably overpaid last season.  But with so many folks wanting us to re-sign him at the $5.5 million hit, I'd assume those folks thought he was worth it, so for them at least, this comparison is fair.

The other thing is, Sanu is cuttable after next season and easily cuttable after 2018.  So if he plays 3 years, we'll have paid him $17.2 million and we'll have $2.8 million in dead money, meaning he cost us $20,000,000.00 for 3 years.  That's $6.6 million per year, which is not an unreasonable number for a number 2 WR.

His cap hit is more than that of Benjamin, Kearse and Matthews.  His dead money is also higher than that of Benjamon, Kearse and Matthews.  

And he was the 4th or 5th option in Cincy.  He's going to have to perform at a high level to justify it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KRUNKuno said:

His cap hit is more than that of Benjamin, Kearse and Matthews.  His dead money is also higher than that of Benjamon, Kearse and Matthews.  

And he was the 4th or 5th option in Cincy.  He's going to have to perform at a high level to justify it.

His being the 4th or 5th option in Cincy is exactly why he'll do fine here.  He's not expected to get 1000 yards/season or 12 TDs a year.  He's the 2nd WR option, which means he'll be mixed in with Freeman, Tamme, Hooper and Hardy for touches.  He's replacing Hank/Roddy's production, and as I said in another thread, the last time he got over 90 touches (which Hardy and Roddy got combined last season) he got 790 yards and 5 TDs, which is about what they need from him here. 

He isn't there to be the primary receiving option, but more to burn the defense as one of several options when Julio is bracketed (to hopefully free up Julio during the course of the game/season).  There is no reason he can't do that and do it well.  Especially since he's pretty much a prototypal WCO 2nd WR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KRUNKuno said:

His cap hit is more than that of Benjamin, Kearse and Matthews.  His dead money is also higher than that of Benjamon, Kearse and Matthews.  

And he was the 4th or 5th option in Cincy.  He's going to have to perform at a high level to justify it.

What he was in cincy has absolutely nothing to do with here. I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

His being the 4th or 5th option in Cincy is exactly why he'll do fine here.  He's not expected to get 1000 yards/season or 12 TDs a year.  He's the 2nd WR option, which means he'll be mixed in with Freeman, Tamme, Hooper and Hardy for touches.  He's replacing Hank/Roddy's production, and as I said in another thread, the last time he got over 90 touches (which Hardy and Roddy got combined last season) he got 790 yards and 5 TDs, which is about what they need from him here. 

He isn't there to be the primary receiving option, but more to burn the defense as one of several options when Julio is bracketed (to hopefully free up Julio during the course of the game/season).  There is no reason he can't do that and do it well.  Especially since he's pretty much a prototypal WCO 2nd WR.

For the contract he received he should be able to fill in as the #1 receiver if Julio goes down.  He can't do this, he does not have the speed to stretch the defense or demand help over the top.  Poor use of resources.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, insight said:

For the contract he received he should be able to fill in as the #1 receiver if Julio goes down.  He can't do this, he does not have the speed to stretch the defense or demand help over the top.  Poor use of resources.

Oh, good grief.  Nothing's ever good enough for some people.  If he isn't like Julio for 1/2 to 1/3 the price, he must suck.

:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Oh, good grief.  Nothing's ever good enough for some people.  If he isn't like Julio for 1/2 to 1/3 the price, he must suck.

:rolleyes:

Jones is getting 15 mil per year, why should someone getting paid 6 mil per be expected to do what Jones can.

JDaveG likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, insight said:

For the contract he received he should be able to fill in as the #1 receiver if Julio goes down.  He can't do this, he does not have the speed to stretch the defense or demand help over the top.  Poor use of resources.

Please provide a list of all the #2 wide receivers in the NFL that could fill in for Julio Jones if he went down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gazoo said:

Please provide a list of all the #1 wide receivers in the NFL that could fill in for Julio Jones if he went down.

FTFY. 

gazoo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heck you don't have to look far,  Marvin Jones is better suited to hold down the #1 receivers responsibilities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Please provide a list of all the #2 wide receivers in the NFL that could fill in for Julio Jones if he went down along with their cap hit for 2016.

Julio has went down in previous seasons, this is nothing new. We had enough talent to compete without him, that's just a FACT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites