Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iDash

Falcons #3 and #8 on top 10 list of Worst offseason moves!

159 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, slamee101 said:

What?  That's kind of what it's going to take.  With where this team is and what they've been in the last 3 seasons they're really not in a position to swing and miss on 1st rounders.  Taking a safety early is 2 steps above taking a Guard early.  When you can't rush the QB and you go Safety in the 1st round you better nail that pick.  Especially if some of the guys we passed on end up being good/great pass rushers.

Lofty goals but not really unfair at this stage.  

How about if I just say he's gotta be better than the Mark Barron's of the world.

Saying he has to be ET  (Will go down as one of the best safety of all time) or Berry is crazy. Expectations that just set you up to be dissapoited. As long as he can take care of his assignments at a plus level he's worth the pick. 

Taking a Safety in the 1st round make sense if it's heavily relied apon like it is in our scheme. Plus if Neal does his job he might not be rushing the passer but he will help the pass rush. 

2 hours ago, slamee101 said:

People love PFF until they say something negative about our squad it seems.

... He needs to come in and become Earl Thomas or Eric Berry quite frankly.

Lots of posters here are really consistent on their views about PFF.

And, no doesn't have to be one of the best safeties in the game to be worthwhile. Good solid play from him makes the defense much better.

8 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Saying he has to be ET  (Will go down as one of the best safety of all time) or Berry is crazy. Expectations that just set you up to be dissapoited. As long as he can take care of his assignments at a plus level he's worth the pick. 

Taking a Safety in the 1st round make sense if it's heavily relied apon like it is in our scheme. Plus if Neal does his job he might not be rushing the passer but he will help the pass rush. 

I disagree because when you go safety that high you kind of have to crush it.   He's gotta become really good 2-3 years from now.  How about if I say Malcolm Jenkins or Reggie Nelson?  Harrison Smith or Kam Chancellor?   TJ Ward?  That would be sufficient.  

Even with talk of scheme fits, if Neal isn't good but some of the pass rushers and linebackers we decided to pass on (two need positions) end up thriving then they'll get heavy criticism and it would be deserved.  There's always a "justification" for why teams take a guy in retrospect but if he doesn't produce none of that matters.

Different sport, but there was a reason to take Sam Bowie ahead of Michael Jordan.  

Who gives a chit, the Falcons are an easy target on articles like this. If he is right he can say told you, but if he is wrong there won't be tons of fans pointing it out. More than a handful of posters here have a better grasp on what the Falcons can or can't accomplish in 2016 than 90% of the media, and that number is even higher when you include the Internet savants.

32 minutes ago, slamee101 said:

I disagree because when you go safety that high you kind of have to crush it.   He's gotta become really good 2-3 years from now.  How about if I say Malcolm Jenkins or Reggie Nelson?  Harrison Smith or Kam Chancellor?   TJ Ward?  That would be sufficient.  

Even with talk of scheme fits, if Neal isn't good but some of the pass rushers and linebackers we decided to pass on (two need positions) end up thriving then they'll get heavy criticism and it would be deserved.  There's always a "justification" for why teams take a guy in retrospect but if he doesn't produce none of that matters.

Different sport, but there was a reason to take Sam Bowie ahead of Michael Jordan.  

Anytime your 1st round busts you deserve criticism. Regardless of the position. 

As for comparing him to those players. I'd say that's fair.  

I agree about Sanu, I think he will go down as one of TDs worst FA moves. His contract was too high based on his past production as well as too high based on his potential in Kyle Shanahans system. Outside of Julio no reciever will catch 50 passes. Kyle likes to lean on 1 WR, and a heavy running game while letting the TEs, 2nd and 3rd WR, and RBs share the scraps of the passing game. Sanu is headed for a 48 catch season which is on the high end of his career averages so that's an optimistic prediction. All I can say is think about how excited everyone was about Hankerson last year versus how he performed, well thats Sanu's trajectory right now.

Neal however, I think he will surprise all non Falcon fans out there. His athleticism translates to the NFL, but more importantly, his intangibles are off the charts. There are hundreds of great college players who didn't do squat in the nfl because they never had the maturity or mental makeup. Neals actual game tape (not highlight reel) is very blah aside from his hits but I think he is the kind of guys that wil blossom in the right scheme that will utilize his tenacity and physicality which is what our staff plans to do. Neal would have been a reach for 80% of the teams out there that would use him outside of his skill set. But for us we are going to feature him doing what comes natural to him. He wil be a star on our defense

Funny to see so many posters who quote PFF when they talk about the Falcons offensive line and qb hurries , yet claim they are way off base when they discuss the off-season moves in a critical light. 

These very things were pointed out by several of us when they occurred,  it's nothing new some just refuse to admit the moves were questionable. 

4 minutes ago, insight said:

Funny to see so posters who quote PFF when they talk about the Falcons offensive line and qb hurries , yet claim they are way off base when they discuss the off-season moves in a critical light. 

These very things were pointed out by several of us when they occurred,  it's nothing new some just refuse to admit the moves were questionable. 

When they talk about how good the Falcons OL Mathews or Shraeder played last year going into same scheme this year it makes more sense than grading Neal on how he was used in college and concluding that is all the production he'll have here where he's going to be used completely different.

7 minutes ago, gazoo said:

When they talk about how good the Falcons OL Mathews or Shraeder played last year going into same scheme this year it makes more sense than grading Neal on how he was used in college and concluding that is all the production he'll have here where he's going to be used completely different.

The Neal criticism is connected to how high he was drafted based on his college production we took him  way too high. I think both moves Neal and Sanu reflect how high TD is on bringing in high character guys into the organization even if there are more talented options available. From a pure talent standpoint we paid a premium for both acquisitions. 

Honestly, why write an article like this so long after draft and free agency - the prediction game is over - time to wait until August and watch'em play.

6 hours ago, slamee101 said:

People love PFF until they say something negative about our squad it seems.

Well how dare they...

It does seem as if we have overpaid for Sanu when you compare his contract to similar players

Sanu (Signed 5-year, $32.5M deal with ATL)

Rishard Matthews (Signed 3-year, $15M deal with TEN)

Travis Benjamin (Signed 4-year, $24M deal with SD)

Personally i would have preferred to Sign Matthews for the 3 - year 15M contract and used the 17.5 to extend Robert Alford & Ryan Schraeder 

I was very confused when I was watching the first round of the draft. There were a lot of players that I thought would never fall to us still available, and then we didn't take any of them. But after seeing what a huge improvement Quinn did to our defense in one season, I'm totally willing to see what his system and his drafting has to offer. And to be honest, we did have a lot of need for the position to be filled. I'm excited too root for Neal and I hope he is able to be a smart, bone-crushing enforcer.

I feel similar with the Sanu signing, but more dubious of the player, and less trusting of Shanahan. I will say though, it does seem like Shanahan knows exactly the type of player that he wants for his system, and that is slightly reassuring. It says to me that they're not just blindly signing whoever was available on the market and way overpaying. They're filling a need, and quite frankly we really needed a second veteran WR. Plus, I've always perceived Dimitroff to be pretty good at evaluating skill position players.

Still wouldn't mind having ol' Harry Douglas still on the team though. He wasn't the best or the most reliable, but he put up decent enough numbers when we needed him to. Guess he just wasn't a fit in the scheme.

The funny thing is that Neal was played totally out of position in college. Florida played a lot of double high safety with super deep drops (SEC/Nick Saban influence) to keep plays in front of him. The interesting thing is that when Florida played Single high safety Neal was the single high safety. I think that helps him understand the whole defense going forward (he is a smart guy), but it took away from his ability to make plays in the box,

I don't blame PFF because they can only grade what they see, but it reminds you that scouting is important too. Remember Ronnie Lott's PFF would have been low too coming out.

EVERY move any team makes is questionable until the games (or contract) are played out. I'd like to think that Coach Quinn knows a little bit more about football than we do, so let's let him do his job and we will see what happens. 

In the mean time, we still have the right to say these are questionable deals, but why condemn the deal before tan games are played?

4 hours ago, jazzyburrell said:

The funny thing is that Neal was played totally out of position in college. Florida played a lot of double high safety with super deep drops (SEC/Nick Saban influence) to keep plays in front of him. The interesting thing is that when Florida played Single high safety Neal was the single high safety. I think that helps him understand the whole defense going forward (he is a smart guy), but it took away from his ability to make plays in the box,

I don't blame PFF because they can only grade what they see, but it reminds you that scouting is important too. Remember Ronnie Lott's PFF would have been low too coming out.

This is the thing, you can grade on how he played last year in college in a different scheme, but to project that grade coming into Atlanta and then conclude it was a bad pick is the issue. Neal will be a box safety here, totally different than playing the deep outfield.

jazzyburrell likes this

15 hours ago, slamee101 said:

He needs to come in and become Earl Thomas or Eric Berry quite frankly.

That isn't happening. 

12 hours ago, LightningDawg58 said:

All I can say is think about how excited everyone was about Hankerson last year.

ummm....no. I heard more concerns about his injury history and lack of production with some "well at least he's played in the system before" mixed in. There may have been 2 or 3 people who were excited about Hank signing here.

Some experts like what we've done and some don't. Some Fans like what we've done and some don't.

That's just how it goes and only time will tell the true.

8 hours ago, momak said:

It does seem as if we have overpaid for Sanu when you compare his contract to similar players

Sanu (Signed 5-year, $32.5M deal with ATL)

Rishard Matthews (Signed 3-year, $15M deal with TEN)

Travis Benjamin (Signed 4-year, $24M deal with SD)

Personally i would have preferred to Sign Matthews for the 3 - year 15M contract and used the 17.5 to extend Robert Alford & Ryan Schraeder 

He got $500k more than Benjamin did on a perseason basis. I really don't see what the big deal is. Is it optimal team building? No. But you're still talking about a deal that has an easy out after Year 2 which would leave Sanu with an average cap hit of less than $5m per.