Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iDash

Falcons #3 and #8 on top 10 list of Worst offseason moves!

159 posts in this topic

10 WORST MOVES OF THE 2016 OFFSEASON

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-10-worst-moves-of-the-2016-offseason/

19777857-mmmain.jpg

"3. Falcons signing WR Mohamed Sanu to a five-year, $32.5 million contract

The Falcons have needed a good alternative target to Julio Jones for awhile, and they seem to expect Mohamed Sanu to be that guy on the basis of the contract they handed him in free agency. However, it’s a little difficult to understand why. Over his career in Cincinnati, at least two of his five best plays are passes he threw, which is not an ideal thing to boast about your wide receiver.

The Bengals were in an identical situation over the past few years of needing to find that second receiver to take pressure off A.J. Green, and gave ample opportunity to Sanu to prove he could be that guy. He responded with three straight seasons of negative grades and 22 dropped passes over that span, with just seven touchdowns from 232 targets."

8. Falcons drafting Keanu Neal in the first round

The NFL struggles to evaluate safeties at times. There are so many plays—particularly in college—where they are just ornamental pieces of the defense and occupy space that is never affected on the play. It can become difficult to evaluate their play soundly, and that leads to people fixating on a few highlight-reel plays they make over a season, focusing in on the “can do” aspects of their play, rather than the “how often.”

Keanu Neal has multiple bone-crushing hits on his Florida tape, and his highlight reel would get anybody excited, but those plays are not indicative of his overall production, and over two seasons of PFF grading, he has never been better than average across an entire year. This past season alone, he may have made several big-impact hits, but they came at the cost of missing 16 tackles, and 43 other safeties made more defensive stops than the new Falcon.

atlGM, SacFalcFan and KRUNKuno like this

PFF's viewpoint is sometimes maddening. With this article I think they have clearly  lost their focus - if they were ever focused in the first place!

People love PFF until they say something negative about our squad it seems.

I don't trust the site.  I'm all for using analytics in sports but I think they miss a fair amount as well.

That said, while I think Sanu will be a solid #2 option I do not like that we signed him for that price.  I don't know that I'm THAT confident in what he'll bring to the table.

As for Neal, I've talked myself into that pick a little more but I was a little salty on draft day.  Maybe there was no truly elite level pass rushers in this draft.  Time will tell.  However, to grab a safety in the 1st always raises eyebrows.  Doesn't often happen and it's been a while since one went in the 1st and actually justified being picked that high with his play on the field.  He needs to come in and become Earl Thomas or Eric Berry quite frankly.

Trust in the process though...right?

1 hour ago, FentayeJones said:

Who cares... this topic has been regurgitated on this board like 100 times

I thought this was already discussed before.

15 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

I thought this was already discussed before.

It seems as if someone posts a thread about PFF not liking the draft class or the Sanu signing like every other day.

Ben Day Hoe likes this

Like all predictions, they mean nothing until the games play out. I'd like to think we had a great offseason with these moves, as well as nabbing Alex Mack. What could be wrong with that?

Ben Day Hoe likes this

Why do people care what these so called experts have to say.  If they were real experts you would think they would be employed by a NFL Team.  People keep harping on this and posting articles, yet there is nothing we can do about it.  Whats done is done.  All we can do is hope TD and Quinn know what they are doing and hope for the best.  Posting these stupid articles is not going to change a thing

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

If handing Olivier Vernon the largest contract of any defender in the NFL not named suh doesn't make the list nothing should. 

JJ Watt deserves it more than Suh

SpongeDad likes this

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

How can PFF completely ignore scheme changes when trying to project if they were a good signing?

we don't plan on using Neal or Sanu as their previous teams did. Furthermore, the Mack signing was enormous.

It seems as though the media wants to come down on teams whose picks weren't consistent with theirs.  Like they know what's best for the team.

NeonDeion, gazoo, Falcon918 and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, slamee101 said:

People love PFF until they say something negative about our squad it seems.

I don't trust the site.  I'm all for using analytics in sports but I think they miss a fair amount as well.

That said, while I think Sanu will be a solid #2 option I do not like that we signed him for that price.  I don't know that I'm THAT confident in what he'll bring to the table.

As for Neal, I've talked myself into that pick a little more but I was a little salty on draft day.  Maybe there was no truly elite level pass rushers in this draft.  Time will tell.  However, to grab a safety in the 1st always raises eyebrows.  Doesn't often happen and it's been a while since one went in the 1st and actually justified being picked that high with his play on the field.  He needs to come in and become Earl Thomas or Eric Berry quite frankly.

Trust in the process though...right?

Go home your drunk. 

PFF does a decent job evaluating certain positions (DL, OL, CBs) on their current team in the NFL, but is laughably bad when it comes to free agents going to new teams and college players. For college in particular, I way prefer something like SPARQ as a metric, but in general it's really hard to go by anything but the eye test 

Kayoh and Old Pappy falcon like this

2 hours ago, Da_Truth said:

It seems as though the media wants to come down on teams whose picks weren't consistent with theirs.  Like they know what's best for the team.

The way PFF looks at information, they would have concluded Michael Turner was the worst FA pickup of 2008 coming off 316 yards and 1 TD in 2007. 

Of course, we planned on using him differently so he needed up being an excellent FA pickup, probably the single best of that 2008 class.

They were big on the Turner signing. I'm skeptical of Sanu. I hope he's not another glorified Jenkins. 

I am however skeptical of PFFs college scouting and if it's a reliable indicator of NFL success. Time will answer that one. 

Just now, Bobby.Digital said:

Go home your drunk. 

What?  That's kind of what it's going to take.  With where this team is and what they've been in the last 3 seasons they're really not in a position to swing and miss on 1st rounders.  Taking a safety early is 2 steps above taking a Guard early.  When you can't rush the QB and you go Safety in the 1st round you better nail that pick.  Especially if some of the guys we passed on end up being good/great pass rushers.

Lofty goals but not really unfair at this stage.  

How about if I just say he's gotta be better than the Mark Barron's of the world.

16 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

That's usually the case.