The American Justice System

The district attorney asked the judge to sentence the rapist, a student-athlete at Stanford, to 6 years in state prison. The judge only gave him 6 months in county jail, saying, “A prison sentence would have a severe impact on him."

While a former Stanford swimmer will reportedly serve only six months in jail for the public sexual assault of a woman outside a frat party in 2015, his victim is speaking out about the effects his assault has had on her life.

Brock Allen Turner, now 20, was charged with five felonies in January 2015 in connection with the sexual assault of a woman, now 23. This week, he was found guilty of three of those felonies – assault with intent to commit rape of an intoxicated woman, sexually penetrating an intoxicated person with a foreign object and sexually penetrating an unconscious person with a foreign object.

But though prosecutors wanted Turner sentenced to six years for his crimes, according to the Mercury News, he was sentenced Thursday to six months in county jail and three years' probation as the judge said a longer prison sentence would have a "severe impact" on him, according to The Guardian

read more at http://www.people.com/article/stanford-swimmer-brock-allen-turner-victim-letter

In January 2015, two people witnessed the unconscious victim being assaulted by Turner behind a dumpster on Stanford’s campus according to a release from District Attorney Jeff Rosen. Turner ran but the witnesses stopped and held him until police arrived.

Rosen said in a prepared statement that he was disappointed in Judge Aaron Persky’s sentence, stating the offender has failed to take responsibility and show remorse.

“The punishment does not fit the crime,” Rosen said in a prepared statement. “The sentence does not factor in the true seriousness of this sexual assault, or the victim’s ongoing trauma. Campus rape is no different than off-campus rape. Rape is rape. And I will prosecute it as such.”

With good behavior, Turner could be out in three months, then must complete three years of probation, the Mercury News is reporting.

read more at http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/ex-oakwoodstanford-swimmer-turner-sent-to-jail/nrZtf/

1465045929-brock-allen-turner.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for the judicial system but judges get things assbackwards all the time. Especially in child custody cases. The father is always the bad guy even if the mother is Casey Anthony. I can't tell you how many times I've seen unfit mothers get the kids just because the judge believes children should always be with the mother. I got a friend going through that now.

2 hours ago, Free Radical said:

I genuinely the father, son, and judge are murdered in the most brutal way possible. 

Just delete your account already. The shìt that spews from your mouth is worthless garbage. You hope they all are murdered? If you can talk the talk , then walk the walk. Have you ever killed anyone before? It's not easy to live with, trust me.

No one here wishes anyone to be murdered, especially the judge and father albeit how ridiculous they are.

1 hour ago, SpongeDad said:

Just delete your account already. The shìt that spews from your mouth is worthless garbage. You hope they all are murdered? If you can talk the talk , then walk the walk. Have you ever killed anyone before? It's not easy to live with, trust me.

No one here wishes anyone to be murdered, especially the judge and father albeit how ridiculous they are.

The butt hurt is strong with this one.

Rape should carry the death penalty imo. It is a crime that never ends even after the initial act is over.  

This judge should be prosecuted and the trial retried.  6 months in county jail makes rape equivalent to a B&E.

4 hours ago, Worzone said:

Rape should carry the death penalty imo. It is a crime that never ends even after the initial act is over.  

This judge should be prosecuted and the trial retried.  6 months in county jail makes rape equivalent to a B&E.

Brian banks disagrees.

It's a real shock to the system to see political correctness in our culture expand the definition of rape to include all forms of nonconsensual sex. At this rate they might even outlaw spousal rape. It just gets harder and harder to be a red-blooded American man.

I didn't interpret the father's letter as heinous as y'all did.  I took the action comment as in "an action," not "action **** yeah woot."  

I dont know the case at all, but I did read the letter from the father, and I would expect every father to plead for leniency to their own child.  

Turner's father wrote that "the fact that he now has to register as a sexual offender for the rest of his life alters where he can live, visit, work, and how he will be able to interact with people and organizations."

The letter was made public over the weekend by a Stanford law professor who wants Persky removed from office over the sentence. Two petitions on Change.org also push for a recall of Persky, who's running unopposed for re-election Tuesday.

Persky received his undergraduate degree from Stanford and was captain of the lacrosse team.

Court spokesman Joe Macaluso says the judge is barred from commenting because Turner is appealing his conviction.

In an interview with The Washington Post, Santa Clara District Attorney Jeff Rosen criticized Turner's father for comparing a sexual assault to "20 minutes of action." He said that Turner "preyed upon" his victim and displayed violence during the assault.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/15997412/brock-turner-father-says-son-suffer-20-minutes-action

16 hours ago, kicker said:

I didn't interpret the father's letter as heinous as y'all did.  I took the action comment as in "an action," not "action **** yeah woot."  

I dont know the case at all, but I did read the letter from the father, and I would expect every father to plead for leniency to their own child.  

I agree.  Still, the father's letter is pretty sad even without that.  I sympathize with wanting to plead for leniency for your child, but his child did something objectively ****ing awful. 

Rule 1 of pleading for leniency -- don't make yourself out to be the victim.  The father talked WAY too much about how his son's actions are going to affect his son, and not nearly enough about how very sorry the both of them are about how they are going to affect the victim.

20 hours ago, Grrrillapmpn Inc.® said:

Meanwhile, some of us have homies that are never coming home because of herb. 

Exactly. One ounce of weed is a felony (in Ga.) and your àss is gone for 1-10 years in prison. If you have weed in a school zone and get pulled over- up to 20 years for your 1st offense.  

In Savannah, a man was convicted of aggravated sodomy of a 4-year-old girl and sentenced to 2 years in prison and 8-years probation. The state parole board pardoned him without notifying the victim.

We live in a world where you get more time for trafficking plants (cannabis, coca, poppy) than you do for ******* children.

Guest marla_mulder

I usually can't stand racial posts/memes on Facebook--they're usually either completely untrue, exaggerated, or just stupid.

Hard to argue with this one I saw this morning.

If you're a black woman and your family experiences a traumatic accident at an insufficiently-barricaded zoo, then you will be blamed for it and your family will be criminally investigated by law enforcement (plus, you know, public excoriation and death threats). If you're a white man at an ivy league school and you're caught raping an unconscious woman behind a dumpster and a jury finds you guilty on all three charges, then the judge will change your sentence from six years to six months because he feels bad for you. I just want to make sure that we're all on the same page about how things work.