Kevuntez King--he gets it!

http://fox59.com/2016/06/03/teen-sells-newspapers-for-5-years-earns-enough-money-to-pay-for-college/

MEMPHIS, TN – If you’ve had any concerns about our future generation, this article will give you some hope.

Kevuntez King, 17, of Memphis, told FOX13 that he grew up in a single-parent home with his mother. Her influence helped pave the way to his success.

“She just taught me how to be independent like she had it, (and) she just wanted me to go get it myself,” King told FOX13.

So at the age of 12, when most kids were concerned with getting to the next level of their video game or sleeping in, King started selling newspapers. He kept the job for five years with one goal in mind: earn enough money to pay for his college education.

“When it came down to school, my mom didn’t have to come out of pocket to do anything or I didn’t have to take out any loans to go to school,” King said.

King earned about $200 every Sunday while selling papers at a downtown Memphis intersection. And after five years of hard work, he has reached his goal.

He was accepted into Tennessee State University, and he has officially earned enough money to pay for his tuition in its entirety.

King wants to share a piece of advice for anyone who feels their dreams are impossible: “Make sure you surround yourself with people that’s trying to go up in life and not trying to bring you down. Just stay positive and always believe in yourself and push for it.”

10 minutes ago, capologist said:

I don't see how you possibly couldn't make the connection...

It is a dubious connection to begin with.

Bernie wants to give people the option to get tutuin free school...which makes us more competitive with the rest of the modernized world.

Same with healthcare..... He wants a public single payer option....which again would make us more competitive with the rest of the modernized world.

People in other countries who do not have to get a job before they hit puberty just to pay for school also "get it".

57 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

It is a dubious connection to begin with.

Bernie wants to give people the option to get tutuin free school...which makes us more competitive with the rest of the modernized world.

Same with healthcare..... He wants a public single payer option....which again would make us more competitive with the rest of the modernized world.

People in other countries who do not have to get a job before they hit puberty just to pay for school also "get it".

There's no such thing as tuition free school.  Please explain how this would make us more competitive considering there are more degree applicants than there are jobs.  Seems all that plan would do is to further saturate the market.

As for health care, I like the "idea" of it but it's execution is what I worry about.  First, the only comparisons I ever see are to countries that are significantly smaller than we are or have problems.  The German system is the one that I find intriguing as it seems to be a combination of the two.  Second, I would seriously have a problem with our government managing it.  

Sorry but I don't see the sacrifice of 1 day a week selling papers as being overbearing.  This kid should be applauded for his efforts yet it seems like most would just like to act as if it's not here and then turn around and belly ache about how impossible it is to go to school without $100k in debt...

3 hours ago, capologist said:

There's no such thing as tuition free school.  Please explain how this would make us more competitive considering there are more degree applicants than there are jobs.  Seems all that plan would do is to further saturate the market.

As for health care, I like the "idea" of it but it's execution is what I worry about.  First, the only comparisons I ever see are to countries that are significantly smaller than we are or have problems.  The German system is the one that I find intriguing as it seems to be a combination of the two.  Second, I would seriously have a problem with our government managing it.  

Sorry but I don't see the sacrifice of 1 day a week selling papers as being overbearing.  This kid should be applauded for his efforts yet it seems like most would just like to act as if it's not here and then turn around and belly ache about how impossible it is to go to school without $100k in debt...

Agreed, also if people cannot afford $100k or more why do they go to some of these more expensive private institutions?  There are some really fine state schools even today that are way under that cost for 4 years.  But if they want the more prestigious schools for their advanced degrees they can put that off after they start a career and start making the money.  Many of us have done it that way.  Before the 'oh, it was cheaper when you went to school crowd starts on me' (I worked my way through and paid for it myself) I would ask the question, why has liberally run universities/institutions gotten so expensive?  We all know the answer to that, it's just like the government, they become bloated and bogged down with too many bureaucrats and the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.  .