Reed's offseason commitment paying dividends

Reed’s Offseason Commitment Paying Dividends

Posted Jun 3, 2016

Following the 2015 season, head coach Dan Quinn said he and his staff went through a thorough evaluation process with the end goal being to find ways to improve in every aspect.

It appears that not only did the coaching staff go through this process, one of the Falcons’ biggest free agency signings of 2015 did as well.

LB Brooks Reedicon-article-link.gif, who was inactive for the first three games of the season due to a groin procedure done during the preseason, reflected on his first campaign in Atlanta and reset his approach for the offseason.

One could argue that after two weeks of OTAs, Reed with his renewed mindset looks to be one of the top front runners for offseason most improved from a physical standpoint.

“Just a different mindset this offseason,” Reed said of what he did differently this offseason. “Going into [the offseason] with a chip on my shoulder, trying to come back this season and prove myself. I definitely put in a lot more work this offseason. I lost a little bit of weight and tried to improve my athleticism hoping to transfer it all on the football field because that’s all that matters.”

Reed has slimmed down and is playing noticeably faster, all improvements that will help immensely in his new role in Atlanta’s defense.

In Quinn’s defense, players are asked to show versatility, and Reed’s certainly done that.

Several players have underwent position changes this offseason and Reed is one of them. Quinn said the Falcons will feature Reed at the LEO position this season, hoping to showcase Reed’s improved speed.

“I feel good,” Reed said of his new role. “I’ve done it before and I am totally comfortable with it. I like being down there in the trenches getting after it.”

And when asked if he could explain the approach he took this offseason, he responded with just two words, “Intensity and finish.”

Some of our players are/were too heavy to play in Quinn's athletic run, hit, tackle defense.  Reed was one of them and dropped weight to get faster.  

We have to get younger and faster at all of our defensive positions--yes, DT/NT as well.  We need fast penetrators who can get up the field; not just hold the point of attack.

56 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

Some of our players are/were too heavy to play in Quinn's athletic run, hit, tackle defense.  Reed was one of them and dropped weight to get faster.  

We have to get younger and faster at all of our defensive positions--yes, DT/NT as well.  We need fast penetrators who can get up the field; not just hold the point of attack.

You do need those point holders in base. That's how the linebackers get the opportunity to make plays. We only have one 30 club member on the dline and that's Babs and he can still shoot the gap like the young boys. We're definitely younger and faster tho. Which this defense has to be. 

2 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

You do need those point holders in base. That's how the linebackers get the opportunity to make plays. We only have one 30 club member on the dline and that's Babs and he can still shoot the gap like the young boys. We're definitely younger and faster tho. Which this defense has to be. 

Agreed on all points. Just because we have a stout DT/NT doesn't mean they can't chase players down.  Jackson is overly slow and for the money he's paid, my point was we could find younger and faster to do the same.  Babs is still quick, but nearing the end of his career. Just observations--I know it will take time to replace some of them.

10 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

Agreed on all points. Just because we have a stout DT/NT doesn't mean they can't chase players down.  Jackson is overly slow and for the money he's paid, my point was we could find younger and faster to do the same.  Babs is still quick, but nearing the end of his career. Just observations--I know it will take time to replace some of them.

It really depends on how a team wants to play us. Big because they want to run a lot or small because they want to pass. You really dont want Jackson or any lane clogger chasing down anything. It's not about speed for jackson in base. It's about him holding point so the WILL can stay clean and make plays.

The guys you want in the game that can chase are your nickel package guys. They're typically gonna be lighter, quicker, and faster. The heavies come in on base. Jackson will never be recognized for turning a run play back inside so Worrilow could make the tackle because there's no statistical numbers for that. The heavy lifting guys are there for somebody else to get the glory. There's just not a lot of warren Sapp types that exist in the nfl like fans think. There's a handful but they aren't plentiful. That's why dline rotation is major. 

I don't know why I'm having an issue replying to your original message but it put it into separate threads .  

This is where we'll have to disagree. There are plenty of big boys in the NFL who are capable of chasing down players in the backfield--I watch it happen all the time around the league.

8 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

I don't know why I'm having an issue replying to your original message but it put it into separate threads .  

This is where we'll have to disagree. There are plenty of big boys in the NFL who are capable of chasing down players in the backfield--I watch it happen all the time around the league.

Who? I said it's a handful. It ain't plenty. Then you have to know what they're being asked to do? Mirror, attack, hold point. You just don't know that. What I DO know is he was asked to keep the guards off linebackers here. Also what kind of defense is it? 3-4? 4-3? 4-3 under? All this makes the difference of what a big man does.

Quinn JUST said we play whatever kind of ball the offense wants to play. If they wanna run we'll go big(jackson,soliai) if they wanna go fast we'll go small and quicj(Babs, Jarrett). All depends man. Besides that Jackson makes stops behind the line. It's not like he doesn't get his hands on anybody that tries to run by him. And by chasing down who are you talking about chasing down? Qb? You don't chase a rb down behind the line usually. He's stopped at the line mostly. Unless it's a stretch play. So I'm curious who's the big guys across the league that are chasing running backs down all the time? 

1 hour ago, TheFatboi said:

Who? I said it's a handful. It ain't plenty. Then you have to know what they're being asked to do? Mirror, attack, hold point. You just don't know that. What I DO know is he was asked to keep the guards off linebackers here. Also what kind of defense is it? 3-4? 4-3? 4-3 under? All this makes the difference of what a big man does.

Quinn JUST said we play whatever kind of ball the offense wants to play. If they wanna run we'll go big(jackson,soliai) if they wanna go fast we'll go small and quicj(Babs, Jarrett). All depends man. Besides that Jackson makes stops behind the line. It's not like he doesn't get his hands on anybody that tries to run by him. And by chasing down who are you talking about chasing down? Qb? You don't chase a rb down behind the line usually. He's stopped at the line mostly. Unless it's a stretch play. So I'm curious who's the big guys across the league that are chasing running backs down all the time? 

Off the top of my head, Aaron Donald, Jurrell Casey, Bennie Logan, Chris Baker, Kawann Short, Geno Atkins just to name a few.

My point is regardless of these guys ability to hold the point, they can still get in the backfield and chase a runner down sideline to sideline.  

Jackson and Soliai were brought in to do specifically what you're talking about. Quinn wants guys who can hold the point and get after it.  That ain't Jackson (the last of the big and slow).  Even Vince Wilfork is faster than him 

12 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

Off the top of my head, Aaron Donald, Jurrell Casey, Bennie Logan, Chris Baker, Kawann Short, Geno Atkins just to name a few.

My point is regardless of these guys ability to hold the point, they can still get in the backfield and chase a runner down sideline to sideline.  

Jackson and Soliai were brought in to do specifically what you're talking about. Quinn wants guys who can hold the point and get after it.  That ain't Jackson (the last of the big and slow).  Even Vince Wilfork is faster than him 

You're confusing me man. Donald and all those guys you mentioned Jackson play  2 different positions in 2 different schemes. Quinn doesn't want guys chasing down anybody per se. He wants fast and physical. The position Jackson plays is like a 3-4 DE. That's not his job to be chasing anybody. His job is to keep his SAM or WILL clean to make plays. Because if he's chasing a back guess what? There's a body on his linebacker. 

24 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

You're confusing me man. Donald and all those guys you mentioned Jackson play  2 different positions in 2 different schemes. Quinn doesn't want guys chasing down anybody per se. He wants fast and physical. The position Jackson plays is like a 3-4 DE. That's not his job to be chasing anybody. His job is to keep his SAM or WILL clean to make plays. Because if he's chasing a back guess what? There's a body on his linebacker. 

You asked me which defensive linemen were capable of chasing down players. You made my point for me...Jackson doesn't fit Quinn's scheme.  He's not even a good 3-4 DE.  As far as him keeping guys off if our LBs, that ain't working either.