Just A Question

What were folks expecting? The Falcons put on a show last year and I will say on paper we look even better. I don't think we are paying attention to the most important thing. The coaches.

Go back and watch Quinn, Kyle, and Richard Smith's defenses and offense and ask yourself if we have the pieces in place.

We do. I may not like that we didn't do one or two things, but we look good. Think about it. We don't need to trade right now and signing needs to be threaded lightly. I defend guys who want more but who did we get and how can they help?

We upgraded. That's a good thing and no one talks about those guys. Mack, Shelby, and Upshaw are all bricks. Let them smash.

I'm starting to realize how refreshing it is just to simply see a coach that knows EXACTLY what he wants to do with the team and is building it regardless of what the media or the fans or anyone else thinks they can do. Keanu Neal was probably a steal for Quinn based on who he is and what he likes to do with his SS. With Nolan you never knew what players to get for each position. It's what makes Quinn different from the previous coaches that we've had. Once we get the talent in here, which may take another offseason, our defense is going to be scary good.

Here is how I see it: Quinn and company did a good job last season, especially for the first year. We easily could have won three more games had we not turned the ball over like we did. With that said, had the defense been more stout, we could easily have overcome the errors. But it wasn't and we did not.

Quinn has a good enough vision that he cut bait with players that he doesn't see as good fits, even some that he brought in like Durant and Scho. I like both of them, but I think I'm going to like Upshaw and Shelby more. I love Quinn's mindset. Smitty was set on fixing what was broke, knowing which players buttered his bread, he added to them. Quinn is about constantly improving; changing mindsets and adding competition are his key beliefs.

That improvement includes trying Allen at FS, Beasley at Sam, and Upshaw on the line. Smitty (God bless him) wouldn't think to do that. I would have been cool with obtaining a stud DE, but there were none within our reach in FA or the draft. With that said, we improved almost everywhere else. Next year, I have no doubt a decent end will play better with the assembled parts on defense. A decent end this year would probably have helped, but we would still need to fix what we fixed this off-season. Everything wasn't going to get done.

I thought of it as a three-year rebuild from the giddyup, so although I want to win now, I have faith and enough patience in what is taking place. Especially with youth that can be developed into foundational players. All we need to make progress is the right leaders in the locker room and on the field. I am geeked out of my mind right now and wish that the season started tomorrow.

50 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

What were folks expecting? The Falcons put on a show last year and I will say on paper we look even better. I don't think we are paying attention to the most important thing. The coaches.

Go back and watch Quinn, Kyle, and Richard Smith's defenses and offense and ask yourself if we have the pieces in place.

We do. I may not like that we didn't do one or two things, but we look good. Think about it. We don't need to trade right now and signing needs to be threaded lightly. I defend guys who want more but who did we get and how can they help?

We upgraded. That's a good thing and no one talks about those guys. Mack, Shelby, and Upshaw are all bricks. Let them smash.

I agree brother!!

25 minutes ago, AtlantaFanatic said:

I'm starting to realize how refreshing it is just to simply see a coach that knows EXACTLY what he wants to do with the team and is building it regardless of what the media or the fans or anyone else thinks they can do. Keanu Neal was probably a steal for Quinn based on who he is and what he likes to do with his SS. With Nolan you never knew what players to get for each position. It's what makes Quinn different from the previous coaches that we've had. Once we get the talent in here, which may take another offseason, our defense is going to be scary good.

And the good thing is the defense could mess around and be scary good this season if Beasley makes the second year jump most great rushers make and the rookies fall into their roles. 

Something I was warned about. This team is not and cannot be evaluated as a New school team would be. Its not the same by any stretch. The team itself is being built old school. Its one of the reasons Richard Smith was hired for DC. You have to think about who we have and the historical connections each guy has.

3 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

And the good thing is the defense could mess around and be scary good this season if Beasley makes the second year jump most great rushers make and the rookies fall into their roles. 

He can. He needed help, not a star. Granted I was pretty bummed we didn't bring in Irvin, but Upshaw fills a huge gap for us in several play forms. 2 of the 3 LB positions, 3 DL positions. Shelby is a huge wildcard.

2 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Something I was warned about. This team is not and cannot be evaluated as a New school team would be. Its not the same by any stretch. The team itself is being built old school. Its one of the reasons Richard Smith was hired for DC. You have to think about who we have and the historical connections each guy has.

I agree. I see the old school build whim and the staff is incorporating. Carroll built the Hawks old school. That grit. I'm seeing grittiness coming now. Something I've been begging for us to get for years now. We had a little bit when smith got here with turner, roddy, and some of those guys but we're building a roster with grit all throughout it. In other words we're getting football players. I liked mike smith and what he did for us but for the defensive mind he was supposed to be I never saw that grit and attitude on the defensive side of the ball except 2012 when spoon was having a pro bowl season until the injury. I hope we keep getting players bro. In 2/3 years we could really be special. 

6 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

He can. He needed help, not a star. Granted I was pretty bummed we didn't bring in Irvin, but Upshaw fills a huge gap for us in several play forms. 2 of the 3 LB positions, 3 DL positions. Shelby is a huge wildcard.

I don't think ppl are seeing how much of a **** upshaw can be in this defense. And like you said Shelby is a HUGE wildcard. One that I think will pay dividends as well. It wasn't a secy draft and FA but we got gritty. Meaner. Tougher. I don't think folks are yet seeing how much Mack makes the line better either. 

I think people especially overlook the most valuable positions for Kyle's scheme. People like to point out the talent we had on offense and how we dropped off between Koetter and Kyle, but talent at positions important to Koetter won't necessarily translate to talent at important positions to Kyle. The defense isn't the only side of the ball we needed to completely rebuild to fit our new scheme.

4 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I totally Agree with ya KOG. Personally, I keep my eye on the coaching part for success we need. We know players can play, but do we have the guys now to make them play at a high level?  I believe we do.  Yes I give shanahan some stuff on here, but I think he turns it around this year for the better.

Upgrades I do like my man! I'll take that speed along with some vets......love it!

I can't trust this team until I see Ryan come out 4 weeks straight playing good football. And I don't mean the 5-0 level he was playing at last year because I was still saying he's off during that run. Because for as good as our defense could be, I don't think this offense clicks how we need it to click without Ryan giving us another 2012. Defense improves and Ryan got that fire in him again...man, anything can happen with a young team that grows in the playoffs. I need Ryan to tell some teams to get the fugg off his field again

8 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

I can't trust this team until I see Ryan come out 4 weeks straight playing good football. And I don't mean the 5-0 level he was playing at last year because I was still saying he's off during that run. Because for as good as our defense could be, I don't think this offense clicks how we need it to click without Ryan giving us another 2012. Defense improves and Ryan got that fire in him again...man, anything can happen with a young team that grows in the playoffs. I need Ryan to tell some teams to get the fugg off his field again

It will click better for the simple fact of an old school T.E. It will also click better for having Mack!

If it doesn't click......something has to be done after this year!!! Shanahan!!!!!

For those who criticize Quinn and staff have to take into consideration most new coaches are hired right after the season in the early part of January. Good timing to evaluate the roster and go through the whole process Senior Bowl and east-west game.

We hired Quinn after two back to back long seasons where his team was in the Super Bowl and had to wait until February, a month after the norm.

In that time he had to:

1. assemble his staff 

2. quickly evaluate his roster, a roster where he had to follow suit after Mike Nolan who had no direction and a offensive line who main players from the year before (Baker, Hawley, Konz, Asamoah, Holmes) was coming off injuries or was injured. 

All before the combine started two weeks later and free agency a week and a half after that.

24 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

A lot of teams go through that.  I think a problem we have with our fanbase was the quick returns on Mora's/Smitty 1st season when they went 11-5.  I think Quinn is building a team in his image and this is only the second year of putting the pieces in place.  I like what he is doing and if we're patient it will payoff.  

Not many teams wait on teams to finish the Super Bowl to hire a coach, if so could you name one

8 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Very true and a needed post on this subject... It's pretty obvious most of the posters have not been a fan for over 40 years like myself.. If they were, They would know that this off season was more than twice as good as any off season in the History of the Falcons. Add that to a team that just needed a few OL , Pass rusher, and S,  Well. Not only did they nail that. They went the extra mile in all area's of need. May I just say. Blank is on a mission and he made it clear to all his Crew.. I think they stepped up to the challenge and got it done.. Now, if we can just stay fairly healthy. It's going to be an Awesome year to watch. 

I'll say it one more time,, Can you say Top 4 ???  I can....if Ryan stays healthy,  Top 4 at least.

5 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Romeo Crennel (Patriots) to the Browns, Ray Rhodes (49ers) to the Eagles, Mike Shanahan (49ers) to the Broncos.  These are the ones I can remember their could be more.  many teams also wait until other's go deep into the playoffs as well but not the super bowl. 

Cool but it not often that teams wait until after the SB to hire coaches. 

Point still remains that coaches who do, are behind the power curve by at least two weeks or more.

I'm not quite there yet.  We upgraded, yes.  Our talent is better, especially at C, LB and S, no doubt.

But I still see holes on the team.  I'm still holding out hope Freeney decides to come here after camp.  I won't be angry or devastated, and I won't use it as an excuse to bash Quinn or the FO, but I will be disappointed.  1 more edge rusher undoubtedly helps this team, and the team needs help.

As for other holes, I'd like a bigger RB to use in goal line situations and short yardage, and unless Hardy takes a huge step forward, I think we need at least 1 more developmental/3 or 4 WR.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

I'm not quite there yet.  We upgraded, yes.  Our talent is better, especially at C, LB and S, no doubt.

But I still see holes on the team.  I'm still holding out hope Freeney decides to come here after camp.  I won't be angry or devastated, and I won't use it as an excuse to bash Quinn or the FO, but I will be disappointed.  1 more edge rusher undoubtedly helps this team, and the team needs help.

As for other holes, I'd like a bigger RB to use in goal line situations and short yardage, and unless Hardy takes a huge step forward, I think we need at least 1 more developmental/3 or 4 WR.

I don't know brother. We have 12 WR's in ota's. I think that one more comes from there. Fuller will be a surprise. Part of his decline in production last year was because the qb he had good production with got drafted by GB. Hardy showed what I needed to see from him at the end of the season. He'll be ready this year. 

RB I don't think we need a big back for that. Simply because both Freeman and Coleman have enough power for goal line and short yardage. As a smaller back myself it was never about my stature  but my line. Same with our guys. With Mack goaline and short yardage shouldn't be an issue. Besides, if we wanna use weight, Coleman weighs 210. That's plenty big enough with plenty speed and force. It's all about leverage. Not weight. If our line gets lower than theirs we win more than not. Plus Brandon Wilds is 220. I think he'll stick around. Emmitt Smith(210) never went out on goaline and short yardage. Neither did Walter Payton(200).  Marshall Faulk(210) never went out in those situations. We don't need a big heavy 240 pound back for that.  Doesn't matter if the line gets no push anyway. Like turner against NY in the playoffs. Oline was pushed back into him every time. The ideal back for me is 5'10-6'0 weighing 210-225. Never really liked the 240+ running backs with the exception of a few like Bettis. My fave RB of all time is Eric Dickerson  6'3 and 225. 

As as for freeney I just don't care to sign him. I like the youth movement. All we need is for Beasley to make the jump and there's no need for freeney and I believe he will like most good rushers do in year 2. And being played in 3 different spots(rushing from SAM, LEO, and DE) it's feasible for him to hit double digit sacks this year. Clayborn also needs to be featured in the rush. It's only so many that can be on the field at once and the rotation is key. Plus to sign Freeney somebody will have to be cut to make that extra spot for him that probably wouldn't be cut. I think the dline will be a pleasant surprise in year 2 and they weren't as bad as it seemed last year.