JUST A THOUGHT.. BUT REAL POSSIBILITY

1 hour ago, TheRisen999 said:

What if we ARE still going to sign Freeney and Boykins but after OTA's. I mean they are proven vets and maybe the team allowed them to skip OTA'S but want them there for training camp. Neither player was outright ruled out. J/s

Teams will either wait to sign them after it the start of the season or may sign them and then cut them right before the start of the season and then resign them.

If I remember correctly vested veterans on the roster at the start of the season have guaranteed salaries for the year.

2 hours ago, TheRisen999 said:

What if we ARE still going to sign Freeney and Boykins but after OTA's. I mean they are proven vets and maybe the team allowed them to skip OTA'S but want them there for training camp. Neither player was outright ruled out. J/s

If they bring in FAs after OTAs I'll start to worry about our season. The only way we pick them up is if our coaches don't see enough talent from the guys we already have. I believe we have enough talent to be good at almost all positions and stellar at some others. 

Only if there is an injury at those positions and even then they would probably look elsewhere. 

Head coaches in general always believe they got the players in place and if they follow the coaches' scheme they will win games and succeed. Right or wrong I think Quinn has this belief and then some. 

Quinn is preaching unity and brotherhood on defense. I have a feeling that Freeney could be in it for the money and Boykin is just trouble in a locker room. I think Quinn values that brotherhood and locker room unity more than he values the slight edge in talent that they would bring to the team. That's just my opinion though.

I think its more likely a case of wanting to give the youngsters a chance to show what they have.

UDFAs like Mclennan (DE/LB) would get less reps if Freeney signs. Neasman/Poole (NB/S) get less reps if Boykin signs. Let the young, hungry talent have a go - if they aren't up to the task then sign a vet who already knows the game and won't miss much by skipping OTAs.

Now I'm not saying they are better players, but they have POTENTIAL - unlikely McLennan will ever be as good as freeney WAS, but he probably offers more special teams value now. He may even offer genuine pass rush depth, we won't know if we don't let him play.

Again - if they fail, make sure you know which Vet FAs are available and buy into your philosophy...

7 hours ago, TheRisen999 said:

LOL. You might need to take break. You're going to give yourself a headache if you keep thinking about it.

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, birdz4i said:

what if freeney is just making the rounds and we have no control over where he signs?

Apparently that is exactly what happened, just saw in a article that he hadn't planned on signing with us anyway as his next stop is the last place he'll play and he wants a better chance at winning a championship. http://nfltraderumors.co/dwight-freeney-still-hoping-re-sign-cardinals-95-chance-plays-2016/