Trufant on Neal: ‘Sky is the limit for him’

D. Orlando Ledbetter
 1:08 p.m. Thursday, June 2, 2016 | Filed in: Falcons
COMMENTS 2
FALCONS
Hyosub Shin
May 6, 2016 Flowery Branch - Atlanta Falcons first round draft pick Keanu Neal (22) and other rookies run drills during the first day of 2016 Atlanta Falcons Rookie Minicamp at the Falcons’ Flowery Branch Headquarters Complex on Friday, May 6, 2016. HYOSUB SHIN / HSHIN@AJC.COM

FLOWERY BRANCH — Falcons cornerback Desmond Trufant, who started right away as a rookie in the NFL, has been impressed with safety Keanu Neal.

The Falcons selected Neal with the 17th pick in the NFL draft. Trufant was drafted 22nd overall in 2013 and has made 48 consecutive starts. He reached the Pro Bowl last season.

“He can move with the best of them. That’s what I was really impressed with,” Trufant said of Neal. “He just has to continue to grow mentally and things like that, but he’s looking good.”

Trufant on Neal: ‘Sky is the limit for him’ photo
100415 ATLANTA: Falcons cornerback Desmond Trufant returns a Texans fumble for a defensive touchdown and a 21-0 lead during the second quarter in a football game on Sunday, Oct. 4, 2015, in Atlanta. Curtis Compton / ccompton@ajc.com
Trufant struggled at times during his first OTAs. But he believes Neal can be ready to start by the season opener, which is Sept. 11 at home against Tampa Bay in the Georgia Dome.

“It’s just reps,” Trufant said. “Safety is kind of a complex position for a rookie because that’s kind of like the quarterback of the defense. It’s just going take time, but that’s what OTAs, minicamp and training camp are for. By the time the season comes, he’s going to be right where he needs to be.”

Trufant knows that Neal is suffering from information overload.

“It’s always like that as a rookie, but he’s looking good,” Trufant said. “I’m very impressed with his movement skills. He looks like a corner out there with his footwork. The sky is the limit for him.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/football/trufant-on-neal-sky-is-the-limit-for-him/nrYn8/

Just now, Falcon918 said:

“It’s always like that as a rookie, but he’s looking good,” Trufant said. “I’m very impressed with his movement skills. He looks like a corner out there with his footwork. The sky is the limit for him.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/football/trufant-on-neal-sky-is-the-limit-for-him/nrYn8/

He hits like a truck and can move like a corner! I like it.

1 hour ago, Falcon918 said:

He hits like a truck and can move like a corner! I like it.

This was the unique skill set that Quinn is looking for in his box safety. He needs a big almost linebacker sized guy who is big enough to stuff the run and prevent yards after contact, but also fast and athletic enough to hitch onto running backs and TEs out of the backfield in short zones. 

8 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Nonsense.  PFF says he has negative grades.

And I don't blame them for grading him that way. He was misused in Florida. People don't understand PFF's grades and don't realize that they don't account for scheme. Neal will play a different position in the pros, one his skill set fits to a T.

Falcons signed an UDFA LB, plan to make him a FB, PFF's grades as a LB aren't going to tell you much about what kind of FB he'll make. Same thing with Neal, it's just both positions are called safety and it confuses people.

PFF's grades have value, but you have to know when to ignore them too.

2 minutes ago, falconidae said:

And I don't blame them for grading him that way. He was misused in Florida. People don't understand PFF's grades and don't realize that they don't account for scheme. Neal will play a different position in the pros, one his skill set fits to a T.

Falcons signed an UDFA LB, plan to make him a FB, PFF's grades as a LB aren't going to tell you much about what kind of FB he'll make. Same thing with Neal, it's just both positions are called safety and it confuses people.

You'd think they would know when to ignore them.  Like when they call Neal one of the 10 worst moves of the offseason, for example.

26 minutes ago, falconidae said:

One observation related to scheme: The model of two very successful teams (Seahawks, Patriots) is to use defensive schemes which are suited to a significant number of undervalued players (RandomFan's excellent posts on the Seattle defense include such a statement in entry #10 of the series).  

So it would seem that fans of teams which cleverly employ such schemes should expect a lot of unwarranted negativity from the likes of PFF. 

Second observation:  PFF's grading of the Sanu signing probably involves the same misapplication of grades from a different offensive scheme.

7 hours ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

Tru only struggled in his first OTAs because he had Roddy and Julio introducing him to the NFL.  Not fair.  Haha. 

Tru will be praisng that now.

I see it in a lot of pro sport now a days rookies don't learn there trade for long enough having Roddy & Julio kick his butt early is a good thing.

47 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

Every time I watch this kids highlights I get jacked up. He might be like Trufant and end up one of the top 5 players of the 2016 draft.

if he was a reach at 17 then give me a reach every round please :)

For just a second there I thought you were asking for a reach-around!