Ranking the Falcons top five offseason moves

theProf

Ranking the Falcons top five offseason moves

Ryan Hopkins,Cover32 Wed, Jun 1

In Dan Quinn’s second year as head coach of the Atlanta Falcons, he performed more of an overhaul. Grabbing new athletes and letting go of others. Some moves certainly jumped out as being more effective than others.

5. Drafting a corps of linebackers for the future
Atlanta had a great deal of linebacker depth issues and resolved a good bit of them by bringing in Deion Jones and Devondre Campbell through the draft. Both guys fit the new scheme perfectly and if molded properly will be dominant for years.

4. Signing Mohamed Sanu
After Roddy White was cut, the Falcons had to fill a gap. Sanu was the most sought after free agent wide receiver, and decided to sign with Atlanta. He should pair up nicely with Julio Jones on the outside and give Matt Ryan another tall, athletic target to throw to.

3. Drafting Keanu Neal 
Dan Quinn drafted Neal in the first round to be an enforcer. A Kam Chancellor type of player. After relying on an injury prone William Moore and a combination of Kemal Ishmael and Robinson Therezie, Neal should be able to make an impact on day 1. Not only will his role be important right away but he will take pressure away from Ricardo Allen and make him better.

2. Signing Alex Mack
Mack gives the Falcons their first great center since Todd McClure, and this should do wonders for the offense. It will make both guards better, will give Freeman and Coleman more running lanes, and will give Matt Ryan more time to throw in the pocket. Look for the Falcons to have their most productive offense since 2012, with Mack being a big reason for it.

1. Matt Ryan organizing a team meeting/practice in Miami
You may recall Matt Ryan organizing this meeting for players. It was all about building chemistry and was one of the more underrated “moves” this offseason. This shows that the quarterback is dedicated to his craft and getting better. Ryan and the team felt overwhelmed last year by the changes and Kyle Shanahan’s complex playbook, so hopefully the offense will be more on the same page this season.

7 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Sanu was the most sought after FA WR?

"Cole: Multiple Teams Interested in Sanu

Wednesday, March 9

Jason Cole of Bleacher Report reported the New York Giants, New England Patriots, Falcons, Dallas Cowboys, Washington Redskins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers were all interested in Sanu."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2617953-mohamed-sanu-latest-news-rumors-speculation-on-free-agent-wr

6 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Believe it or not a lot of guys wanted him including some on this board. I thought we would have to settle for Benjamin who is a much smaller guy. Since we already have a smaller guy in Hardy, Sanu made a lot more sense.

17 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Nope. But he was sought after by more teams than us. People think that contract negotiations occur in a vacuum with no influences beyond the team offering a deal on their terms.

30 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Believe it or not a lot of guys wanted him including some on this board. I thought we would have to settle for Benjamin who is a much smaller guy. Since we already have a smaller guy in Hardy, Sanu made a lot more sense.

15 minutes ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

You think Sanu will have a big impact this year?

I do think he will. Im expecting 7-8 TDs from him. 900 yards

38 minutes ago, theProf said:

I think I would have signing FA Defensive Lineman Derrick Shelby listed somewhere within the top 5 offseason moves.

Meh, I can't say that I think Shelby is above any of the top 5 he listed. It's debatable.

Edited by RandomFan

4 hours ago, theProf said:

1. Matt Ryan organizing a team meeting/practice in Miami

You may recall Matt Ryan organizing this meeting for players. It was all about building chemistry and was one of the more underrated “moves” this offseason. This shows that the quarterback is dedicated to his craft and getting better. Ryan and the team felt overwhelmed last year by the changes and Kyle Shanahan’s complex playbook, so hopefully the offense will be more on the same page this season.

I heard that this offseason meeting was little more than a ploy for Matt to get to his Miami trap house.

4 hours ago, theProf said:

"Cole: Multiple Teams Interested in Sanu

Wednesday, March 9

Jason Cole of Bleacher Report reported the New York Giants, New England Patriots, Falcons, Dallas Cowboys, Washington Redskins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers were all interested in Sanu."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2617953-mohamed-sanu-latest-news-rumors-speculation-on-free-agent-wr

Until they saw his price tag