Falcons 2016 roster review: Cornerback

birdz4i

By The DW

@FalcoholicDW on Jun 1, 2016, 12:00p 26

usa-today-8842664.0.jpg
Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports

Coverage on the outside looks really good for the Falcons.

In a league filled with the likes of Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant and Julio Jones, having good players at the corner position is hugely important. It's a high-value position in the NFL, and the Falcons currently have two very good ones manning the outside of Dan Quinn's defense. If the Falcons defense is going to continue to improve, this position will be a critically important one.

Desmond Trufant

The 2013 first round pick of the Falcons has been one of the best young corners to enter the league in the last several years. Getting him in the latter half of the first round seems like a steal now. Trufant has tremendous closing speed, is incredibly disciplined, and is not intimated by any receiver in the league. His footwork is very good and he's rarely beaten cleanly. The only knock on him is his poor hands. He's grown every year he's been in the league and was recognized as a pro-bowler in 2015. He should be a Falcon for a long-time, and is a fantastic building block for this budding defense.

A

Robert Alford

Trufant's draft mate in 2013 often gets overlooked, but Robert Alford has come into his own as well. He's less disciplined than Trufant, but may actually be the faster of the two. Alford is a willing tackler and has better hands and more of a ball-hawk mentality. He's not quite on Trufant's level, but he is a quality starting corner in this league, despite fan frustrations over some of his more bone-headed plays. He's shown considerable growth each year he's been in the league and the team is lucky to have him around. The only question is whether the team will be able to afford to keep him.

B

Jalen Collins

The young second year player didn't help his case with the fans by getting suspended for the first four games of 2016. His play on the field in 2015 also left a bit to be desired, though the more studious eye could see that he was showing improvement towards the end of the year. Collins has the size, length and speed that Dan Quinn wants in his corners - the only question is whether he can pull it all together. It's way too early to write this young man off, but he does need to show some growth this year or fans will get very antsy about this second round pick.

C

Akeem King

As a seventh round pick in 2015, King managed to make the roster. His size and length are undoubtedly what Quinn is looking for, but he is definitely a project. He's worth keeping an eye on in 2016, though I wouldn't expect him to get significant snaps this year either.

D

Overall

With Trufant and Alford, the Falcons have one of the better cornerback pairings in the NFL. Jalen Collins really needs to show some improvement this year, and Akeem King is intriguing as a long-term developmental prospect, but the strength of this unit lies with it's starters. While there's a possibility that Alford won't be here for the long-term, the team at least has him and Alford for 2016, giving them a formidable pairing on the outside.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2016/6/1/11687614/falcons-2016-roster-review-cornerback

I counted 4 cornerbacks.  1 of the 4 is suspended the first 4 games.  Yet they say King isn't expected to get significant snaps this year.

They must think we're going to sign another corner.  Because otherwise King will absolutely be getting 60% or so of the snaps for the first 4 games at least.

6 hours ago, Aries2887 said:

I don't get why others don't like Alford he's ranked in the top 3rd of the CBs With Tru being top 10. Alfords Coverage was great last year. 

I hear ya and understand the concern. To me, Alfords coverage is still hit and miss with too many mental collapses like myself. Might just be me, but I've seen enough of that from him.  Maybe this year he gets it down pat, but I've been saying this for the last 2 years. To his credit..I watched too much D. Sanders in the past.

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I counted 4 cornerbacks.  1 of the 4 is suspended the first 4 games.  Yet they say King isn't expected to get significant snaps this year.

They must think we're going to sign another corner.  Because otherwise King will absolutely be getting 60% or so of the snaps for the first 4 games at least.

OR they may think that Goodwin or Sefon or Dv Johnson, or Mims will take snaps away from King.

They did not cover all CBs

27 minutes ago, delaigle said:

OR they may think that Goodwin or Sefon or Dv Johnson, or Mims will take snaps away from King.

They did not cover all CBs

Perhaps, but one would think if that was the case they would have mentioned at least one of them.

Alford was a steal where we drafted him. Yeah, we all knew he had some development to go, but he really showed me a lot second half of last season especially and he will be one of the better #2 corners in the NFL this season, no question in my mind.

i think the calculus with drafting Collins was, we prefer length and size at CB for our scheme, so when it comes time to lock up Trufant we may not have the cash to sign Alford who will command a huge contract on open market and we'd have Collins to step in.

Too many have written off Collins as a bust, but that's what our younger gun slinging armchair GMs with guns a blazin do.

21 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

It's going to suck when we have to let Alford walk next year. 

It'll suck a little bit less when we get a 3rd/4th round comp pick in 2018. 

We just better hope Collins can step up and realize his potential. Kids got the skill set to beast, but jury still out on him. At least we will know by time it's time to make a decision on Alford.

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

It's going to suck when we have to let Alford walk next year. 

It'll suck a little bit less when we get a 3rd/4th round comp pick in 2018. 

I'd love to think that Alford would take a team friendly deal to stay here with Trufant. They are pretty close. 

9 hours ago, Dem Birds said:

Alford recorded the highest speed in the NFL last season on his pick six. Trufant had an angle on Alford in the senior bowl. 

I hear that, but Tru has ran several speedsters down in his career. Spiller in 2013 and few others. **** his unofficial 40 was a 4.31, then mysterious NFL.com listed it as 4.38, watch it or google his 40 for yourself

24 minutes ago, lju713 said:

I hear that, but Tru has ran several speedsters down in his career. Spiller in 2013 and few others. **** his unofficial 40 was a 4.31, then mysterious NFL.com listed it as 4.38, watch it or google his 40 for yourself

I mean, they are both fast, for sure. The difference is probably arbitrary. Rocky feels faster to me but Trufant is so fluid that maybe it's deceptive. 

11 hours ago, gazoo said:

Alford was a steal where we drafted him. Yeah, we all knew he had some development to go, but he really showed me a lot second half of last season especially and he will be one of the better #2 corners in the NFL this season, no question in my mind.

i think the calculus with drafting Collins was, we prefer length and size at CB for our scheme, so when it comes time to lock up Trufant we may not have the cash to sign Alford who will command a huge contract on open market and we'd have Collins to step in.

Too many have written off Collins as a bust, but that's what our younger gun slinging armchair GMs with guns a blazin do.

I've written him off because of his technique and lack of physicality. His tape last year was atrocious. The same cannot be said of Alford's first year, who at minimum we knew had ball skills, which Collins does not.

24 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

I mean, they are both fast, for sure. The difference is probably arbitrary. Rocky feels faster to me but Trufant is so fluid that maybe it's deceptive. 

They are and teams can't go deep on us because of it

11 hours ago, gazoo said:

We just better hope Collins can step up and realize his potential. Kids got the skill set to beast, but jury still out on him. At least we will know by time it's time to make a decision on Alford.

Does height count as skills? Honestly, tell me what else he excels at?

42 minutes ago, stizz said:

Does height count as skills? Honestly, tell me what else he excels at?

Do you really think you already know he can't play in the NFL based on a rookie season where he had only 10 starts in college and missed most of his rookie NFL training camp with an injured foot? His head had to be spinning last year in his brief playing time. Alford had 31 college starts and a full rookie NFL training camp. OF COURSE Alford looked better his rookie season.

Hes 6'1", 203lbs and ran a 4.48 40 at the combine. He has the hips to turn and run with fleet receivers. One of the plusses with him coming out of college WAS his physicality.  If you don't know any of this then I don't know what to tell you.

None of us know what will happen this year. Quinn said he expected him the be one too the guys to step it up big, does Quinn not know what he is talking about by implying he had the talent to step it up big?? Collin's head was spinning last year, let's see what happens this year before we start writing him off.

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

Do you really think you already know he can't play in the NFL based on a rookie season where he had only 10 starts in college and missed most of his rookie NFL training camp with an injured foot? His head had to be spinning last year in his brief playing time. Alford had 31 college starts and a full rookie NFL training camp. OF COURSE Alford looked better his rookie season.

Hes 6'1", 203lbs and ran a 4.48 40 at the combine. He has the hips to turn and run with fleet receivers. One of the plusses with him coming out of college WAS his physicality.  If you don't know any of this then I don't know what to tell you.

None of us know what will happen this year. Quinn said he expected him the be one too the guys to step it up big, does Quinn not know what he is talking about by implying he had the talent to step it up big?? Collin's head was spinning last year, let's see what happens this year before we start writing him off.

Lol, he has the hips? Now I know you aren't watching his tape. Going back to college, against an elite receiver in Cooper, he got smoked. It was horrific how bad his feet/hips were. Now, going back to last year, one of his main defenders on this board will tell you his hips are stiff and he got beaten like a mule on comeback routes.

You're telling me he was physical coming out of college and I'm telling you there is tape of him avoiding contact last season. 

The Falcoholic made a write up about how he responded terribly to being benched at LSU for a freshman. Well, the same thing happened last year when he was benched for a 7th round converted safety. 

We had a superb draft last year, but this was a pick where Quinn simply fell in love with measurables. I just don't see much there.

5 hours ago, stizz said:

Lol, he has the hips? Now I know you aren't watching his tape. Going back to college, against an elite receiver in Cooper, he got smoked. It was horrific how bad his feet/hips were. Now, going back to last year, one of his main defenders on this board will tell you his hips are stiff and he got beaten like a mule on comeback routes.

You're telling me he was physical coming out of college and I'm telling you there is tape of him avoiding contact last season. 

The Falcoholic made a write up about how he responded terribly to being benched at LSU for a freshman. Well, the same thing happened last year when he was benched for a 7th round converted safety. 

We had a superb draft last year, but this was a pick where Quinn simply fell in love with measurables. I just don't see much there.

All that said, NFL teams all saw his talent and potential coming out of college, we just don't know if he'll end up realizing his talent. Given his situation, it is understandable why he would have looked terrible last year with everything he was trying to learn. He was about as raw as you could get coming into the  NFL.

I will agree that THIS YEAR, after his first full NFL training camp and a second year in the system,  if we don't see vast improvement in him he has serious bust potential, but suggesting he's already a bust based on last year seems misguided to me given the literally hundreds of NFL players that fans deemed busts their rookie year only to have them end up perennial Pro Bowl players like Roddy White, Patrick Kerney here in Atlanta. Posters even declared Alford a bust after his rookie season and Alford was coming off 31 college starts and a full NFL rookie training camp.

This is from Walter Football where they interviewed scouts from NFL teams on Collins Before the draft:

"In speaking with sources from multiple teams, they say that Collins has a great skill set but he doesn't play up to it. If he did, he would be a top-10 pick like Patrick Peterson or Morris Claiborne. Collins is big and fast, but he doesn't play the ball well and has flaws in his technique. They feel that Collins has the skill set to be a good press-man corner and would be fitting with very successful teams/systems that are in vogue in the NFL with the Seahawks and Cardinals. A lot of how Collins pans out in the NFL will depend on him landing with good, stable coaching. A bad situation could end up failing Collins and not leading him to the career he's capable of having. "

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2015jcollins.php#HvG45sezXizcCdiF.99

11 minutes ago, gazoo said:

All that said, NFL teams all saw his talent and potential coming out of college, we just don't know if he'll end up realizing his talent. Given his situation, it is understandable why he would have looked terrible last year with everything he was trying to learn. He was about as raw as you could get coming into the  NFL.

I will agree that THIS YEAR, after his first full NFL training camp and a second year in the system,  if we don't see vast improvement in him he has serious bust potential, but suggesting he's already a bust based on last year seems misguided to me given the literally hundreds of NFL players that fans deemed busts their rookie year only to have them end up perennial Pro Bowl players like Roddy White, Patrick Kerney here in Atlanta. Posters even declared Alford a bust after his rookie season and Alford was coming off 31 college starts and a full NFL rookie training camp.

Again, in Alfords rookie season, he displayed elite speed and very good ball skills. 

There was very little to be taken away from Jalen's rookie year. Agree to disagree.