Dan Quinn gets no love in head coach rankings

birdz4i

By Alex Hoegler 13 hours ago

You would think that after taking a disastrous 6-10 Atlanta Falcons team from 2014 and turning them into a playoff-contending 8-8 squad, head coach Dan Quinn would earn some decent love in head coaching rankings.

That would be false…for now, anyway. USA Today’s Steven Ruiz ranked all 32 NFL head coaches, and the Falcons head coach was listed just 26th. He was put ahead of Mike Mularkey and Gus Bradley, as well as new upcoming head coaches Dirk Koetter, Doug Pederson, Ben McAdoo and Adam Gase.

Here’s how Ruiz explained his poor ranking of Quinn:

“Quinn is in the same boat as Bradley until he proves he can build a good defense with the group of All-pros he had at his disposal in Seattle. He also drops on this list for some poor game management moments during his first season with the Falcons, specifically his blunder in San Francisco.”

I found it difficult to see Jeff Fisher from Los Angeles, Hue Jackson from the Cleveland Browns, John Fox (12th somehow,) and Chip Kelly (11th,) on the list. Some of these rankings were tough to buy.

Obviously, Quinn isn’t going to be in the top-20. He did very well in his first year, but it’s only been one season. Also, it’s easy to remember his Falcons started out 6-1 only to go 2-7 the rest of the way.

But it’s remarkable how he took the league’s worst defense from 2014 and made them a middle-of-the-pack unit that suddenly made game-changing plays. His game plan that ended Carolina’s perfect season in Week 16 went to show just how serious he is.

Now, it’s up to Quinn to show Ruiz (and others,) he’s better than what many people think.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dan-quinn-gets-no-love-122347288.html

Fisher should always be #32 with Marvin Lewis at #31. Mike Smith was considered a lousy coach by some because of his lack of playoff success but Marvin Lewis can be just awful in the playoffs every year and still be respected? Nonsense.

7 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Fisher should always be #32 with Marvin Lewis at #31. Mike Smith was considered a lousy coach by some because of his lack of playoff success but Marvin Lewis can be just awful in the playoffs every year and still be respected? Nonsense.

True, but I think the 2nd half of the season and divisional record undermine Quinn. 

Quinn didn't help himself with the 2-7 finish or those lame-tarded in-game decisions. As far as turning the team around, 8-8 is just a two-game difference from 6-10 and that was against the weakest schedule in the league and with a 5-0 start. Hardly a dramatic resurrection from the dead or anything.

You could argue he should've gotten some cred for beating Carolina and I would agree, but the national media isn't going to cut him any slack until he accomplishes something out of the shadow of Pete Carroll and the Seahags. It doesn't help he's employed by a team in the South that has been a perennial clown show and rarely gets any respect.

I feel most questions about him are valid. I wouldn't expect too much respect for going 8-8 when the path there led though 5-0. Emotional coaches can really get a team fired up, but if things get to going bad, the wheels can come off in a hurry. Reference Rah Rah Raheem in Tampa.  Oh, we have him too.

I like Quinn. I really do. But, I'm old school and I'm not overly impressed with his approach or his resume. I do like his simplified scheme, but for a vanilla scheme to work your guys MUST be better than their guys. That is why teams like New Orleans and Atlanta fell flat on their faces trying the Seattle approach last season. If the talent is good enough, I do think he has a chance to be very successful. I openly question his move to put Rah Rah in charge of the receivers. To me that has "your a friend, but you ain't getting anywhere near my defense" written all over it. That kind of soft-handedness probably didn't help in the ratings.

So, the jury is still out. It is not mean spirited to sit back, scratch your chin, and say, "Show me." Despite my reservations, I hope we are gloating over him being in the top 5 next year! I'll eat my crow and you can all say, "we told you so."

8 hours ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

True, but I think the 2nd half of the season and divisional record undermine Quinn. 

Oh i'm not even thinking about Quinn. Any first year coach should get an incomplete or below average rank. How do you rank new first time coaches? Gase is above Mularkey? Come on Mulakey at least has coached before in the NFL and has had some success. Or look at this sentence:

Koetter did an excellent job with Jameis Winston last year, but his stints in Jacksonville and Atlanta did not go so well.

He was the OC of a top ten offense in Atlanta and in Jax had a top 10 offense with David Garrad and Quinn Gray at QB. Not a bad job if you ask me.  

I wouldn't expect a first year head coach to be high among the rankings, unless the stars had aligned and he had a Mike Smith type 1st year, but the 2-7 losing streak hurt him more than anything, I'd wager. If he can get this squad to have a winning season and a trip to the play offs, then you'll see his stock take a dramatic rise in the next season or two.

10 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Quinn didn't help himself with the 2-7 finish or those lame-tarded in-game decisions. As far as turning the team around, 8-8 is just a two-game difference from 6-10 and that was against the weakest schedule in the league and with a 5-0 start. Hardly a dramatic resurrection from the dead or anything.

You could argue he should've gotten some cred for beating Carolina and I would agree, but the national media isn't going to cut him any slack until he accomplishes something out of the shadow of Pete Carroll and the Seahags. It doesn't help he's employed by a team in the South that has been a perennial clown show and rarely gets any respect.

Losing to the Saints the following week with their record setting horrible defense took a lot of the shine off the Carolina win.

WTF is Ruiz anyway?  8-8 should at least get you middle (15-20) of the pack as a first year HC.  I swear, where do these sports writers come from.  What I didn't like about Quinn's leadership is his inability to correct the losing streak.

11 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

/thread

1 hour ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

Quinn hasnt done anything that Mike Smith couldnt have done. And worse - you dont go on a 6 game losing in the middle of the season - that's all on Quinn.

Far as Im concerned, Quinn needs to show it and prove it this season

totally agree here, fans talking about he needs to be here and there, he sucked *** last year

“Quinn is in the same boat as Bradley until he proves he can build a good defense with the group of All-pros he had at his disposal in Seattle. He also drops on this list for some poor game management moments during his first season with the Falcons, specifically his blunder in San Francisco.”

This statement is ridiculous in my mind.  A lot of those All-Pros they speak of were cast offs from other teams.  I definitely believe that coaching had a lot to do with how good their defense was.