...and he's gone. Freeney walks.

Falcons passing on Freeney, could revisit signing him later

Posted by Zac Jackson on June 1, 2016, 4:12 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Falcons won’t be signing veteran pass rusher Dwight Freeneyright now, ESPN’s Vaughn McClure reportedWednesday, but Falcons coach Dan Quinn said the team won’t rule out adding Freeney at some point down the road.

Freeney visited the Falcons this week as he looks for a place to play a 14th NFL season.

Freeney, 36, had eight sacks in 11 games as a late addition to the Cardinals last season. He previouslyworked out for the Bengals, who could also consider Freeney later if he’s still available after the Bengals lost veteran pass rusher Wallace Gilberry to free agency.

The Falcons recently did a similar dance with veteran cornerbackBrandon Boykin. Though Boykin came in for a workout, the teamdecided not to sign him.

Edited by Beast-N-Da-Sheetz

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll let the coaches and staff do what they get paid millions to do. I'll defer to their judgement on who to sign and who not to sign. I'd just love to be in these meetings with these guys and hear the questions they ask and find out what they are making their decisions on. Is it injury, is it differing opinions on how the player would be used, or is it just money? I'd love to be a fly on the wall and hear what's really going on. You know we're only going to get the coachspeak from our staff.

17 minutes ago, falconidae said:

He could certainly do what he did last year and come after the season starts.

Don't think the Falcons staff is as panicked about the pass rush as the fans are.

Yep. Been that way for how many effing years now? Five? Ten? Gotta hope they're right they've got it covered finally. If nothing else, The Law of Averages has to take over and get you headed in the opposite direction after awhile, right?

Just now, PokerSteve said:

Yep. Been that way for how many effing years now? Five? Ten? Gotta hope they're right finally. If nothing else, The Law of Averages has to take over and get you headed in the opposite direction after awhile, right?

Honestly only the last year matters. Entire new coaching staff. It seems like a trend because it was with the Smitty organization but wrapping those years into what Quinn is doing doesn't make sense. When it comes to the trends in what we do in the offseason, I'm forgetting about what happened before 2015

4 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Yep. Been that way for how many effing years now? Five? Ten? Gotta hope they're right they've got it covered finally. If nothing else, The Law of Averages has to take over and get you headed in the opposite direction after awhile, right?

Depends on which staff you're referring to.  If you're talking about this coaching staff,  you could definitely say them not signing Freeney implies that they're not as panicked as as the fans. Then again,  we not only resigned Clay, but added Shelby also.  Last year we used a top ten pick and signed some free agents.  I think all of the above could qualify as being somewhat concerned. 

3 minutes ago, AtlantaFanatic said:

Honestly only the last year matters. Entire new coaching staff. It seems like a trend because it was with the Smitty organization but wrapping those years into what Quinn is doing doesn't make sense. When it comes to the trends in what we do in the offseason, I'm forgetting about what happened before 2015

I hear you, but I'm a little biased because of what has transpired previously, which also included a miserable 19 sack season last year. I'm hoping for a dramatic improvement just like everybody else, but I've had that hope many times before and it ain't happened yet, YKWIS.

1 minute ago, PokerSteve said:

I hear you, but I'm a little biased because of what has transpired previously, which also included a miserable 19 sack season last year. I'm hoping for a dramatic improvement just like everybody else, but I've had that hope many times before and it ain't happened yet, YKWIS.

So many people here keep looking at the sack numbers. I look at the fact that we went from the worst defense in the league, to the middle in one offseason. If we get 18 sacks this year but hold our opponents to 10 points per game, who gives a bakers f***??

1 minute ago, AtlantaFanatic said:

So many people here keep looking at the sack numbers. I look at the fact that we went from the worst defense in the league, to the middle in one offseason. If we get 18 sacks this year but hold our opponents to 10 points per game, who gives a bakers f***??

Probably nobody, but that's a mighty big "if." Also, it would be an incredibly bizarre coincidence if that were to happen, certainly not some kind of validation sacks are basically irrelevant and of no real consequence.

3 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Probably nobody, but that's a mighty big "if." Also, it would be an incredibly bizarre coincidence if that were to happen, certainly not some kind of validation sacks are basically irrelevant and of no real consequence.

I was exaggerating on both ends.

I'm just saying if our point allowed goes down from last year and our turnovers go up from last year, we can end the season with 3 sacks and I'll still be happy. I'm bummed we didn't bring Freeney in because I thought he could be good. However, I'm not sitting here saying "wtf is this front office doing?!?!?!" (not pointing that finger at you) I know they have a plan and I'll wait to see how it's executed.

Think about it this way: Remember in 2010 when we were all quoting the stats on our plays over 20 yards on offense and we kept saying how we need a home run hitter and some more explosive plays? Well we went out and sold the farm for Julio and got more explosive immediately but then we couldn't run the ball anymore and Matt had to throw it 55 times a game so we started complaining about that.

We are all complaining about the lack of sacks but I bet if we were getting 35 sacks a year, we'd be giving up 300 yard a game in the passing department or allowing 7 YPC on every run up the gut. If we can start getting pressure on the QB, I'm ok with the stat that lacks being sacks. (that was hard to say)

7 minutes ago, AtlantaFanatic said:

I was exaggerating on both ends.

I'm just saying if our point allowed goes down from last year and our turnovers go up from last year, we can end the season with 3 sacks and I'll still be happy. I'm bummed we didn't bring Freeney in because I thought he could be good. However, I'm not sitting here saying "wtf is this front office doing?!?!?!" (not pointing that finger at you) I know they have a plan and I'll wait to see how it's executed.

We're on the same page. I actually like the guys we got in the draft and want to see if they ~ along with who we already have ~ can give us a pass rush that wins us some games. Q and this FO do indeed have a plan and there hasn't been anything resembling a plan so detailed and specific since the franchise began. Will be interesting to see if that plan grows wings and soars deep into the play-offs.

31 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Been that way going on 2 years now. The previous 8 don't count. Different HC and philosophy. 

Just now, PokerSteve said:

We're on the same page. I actually like the guys we got in the draft and want to see if they ~ along with who we already have ~ can give us a pass rush that wins us some games. Q and this FO do indeed have a plan and there's hasn't been anything resembling a plan so detailed and specific since the franchise began. Will be interesting to see if that plan grows wings and soars deep into the play-offs.

Good point. It does seem this staff is laser focused. Hopefully Blank will give them long enough to make it work.

This is what I said would most likely happen. They'd bring him in and he'll be an option if they feel they need him down the road. Nobody is about to jump and sign freeney until they absolutely need him. Like the cardinals did last season. We still may sign him in week 4. This is no big deal. I'd say it was if he was gonna make the whole team better but I don't see him as that now. Signing him wouldn't change the outcome of the team. Wouldn't have made a difference last year either because the offense was our issue. 

3 minutes ago, falconfansince66 said:

We're on the brink of a potential top ten pick next year.  Signing Freeney will likely endanger that. 

Freeney wouldn't change that. If we have a top 10 draft pick type of season it would be with or without freeney. It's all about how well the offense plays this season.