Coleman being tried as a returner.

Aside from the fumbles, which I'm positive that will be the only thing that will be mentioned, what say you. 

Falcons trying Tevin Coleman as a kick returner

Posted by Zac Jackson on May 31, 2016, 7:46 PM EDT
Tevin ColemanAP

The Falcons are giving running back Tevin Colemana look as a kickoff return man during their organized team activity (OTA) practices.

With Devin Hester at 33 and recovering from offseason surgeries, giving Coleman at least a look in the return game is a spring experiment that could end up being a long-term fit.

“With that speed and making one cut is very similar to playing running back,” Falcons coach Dan Quinn told reporters about Coleman. “If he can add another value to the team, that’s certainly something that we’ll look at.”

A third-round pick in 2015, Coleman played in 12 games as a rookie and posted two big games but took a back seat to Devonta Freeman’s career year. Coleman carried 87 times for 392 yards and a touchdown.

Coleman returned 30 kickoffs during his college career at Indiana and took one back for a touchdown.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, SpongeDad said:

I'm not a fan of this. I'd rather him stick to solely to RB. We don't need him hurt again and taking away our 1-2 punch with Freeman. We got plenty of KR possibilities since the draft imo.

I agree. He does have the speed though. Would be a better option than quizz a few years back lol. Im personally not a fan of using valuable players in the return game. I mentioned that a few years back and people brought up Deion like it would make me change my mind. I don't mind using a speedy guy who won't see the field much. Whatever floats their boat though 

8 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Really? Coleman was having issues taking hand-offs, but now he's going to be fielding kicks? lulz

draper_sad-1.gif

To be fair it wasn't the hand-offs that were the problem. It was 15+ yards downfield after the hand-off that were the problem. Well that and showers.

I'm not really concerned with this either way. I can definitely see his speed being an asset but I'm also curious as to how many returns we will actually see this year compared to previous years.

I like the idea of Coleman being tried as a returner.

It gives the coaches more options in case someone gets injured and there is no real guarantee Hester or Weems will be on the roster next season nor is there any guarantee Fuller will be ready or even make the 53.

This is the time of year you try guys at different positions to see what they can do.

Edited by FentayeJones

Just now, Jpowers said:

To be fair it wasn't the hand-offs that were the problem. It was 15+ yards downfield after the hand-off that were the problem. Well that and showers.

True, I'm an old man and I only remembered that he seemed allergic to pigskin. I'm still not excited about him fielding punts.

18 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

I'm not really concerned with this either way. I can definitely see his speed being an asset but I'm also curious as to how many returns we will actually see this year compared to previous years.

No way to know, but I think it's safe to assume there will be far, far fewer. Returning the football may become obsolete, which I think would suit the NFL brass just fine.

You guys are truly pathetic. 

Do you know who used to be labeled a fumble machine 3 years into his career? Adrian Peterson. 

Its harder to find someone who runs well like coleman than teaching him to hold onto the ball. 

Stsying on topic though, its nice he gets more snaps in practice, but i would rather him not return kicks in game. 

8 hours ago, hjerry said:

I invest zero worry in this.

It's OTAs. No one's even allowed to do anything to him after he catches the ball.

I'll start caring once returns can be practiced for real in TC.

7 hours ago, hjerry said:

FYI, it was all the RBs who fielded returns in practive, not just Coleman, so it wasn't like they singled him out

Quinn was only answering a question

Pretty certain everyone knows that. Considering its not a full guarantee Hester returns it's a reasonable discussion to have. Discussing potential returner(until it's certain Hester remains)  is completely different than discussing 2 rookie linebackers practicing with the first team.