No one is talking about Harambe?

4 hours ago, Billy Ocean said:

I watched part of a documentary on CNN called "Blackfish" about Sea World's orcas. It showed how they originally went about catching them in the 70s. They went up to Washington State and found where some whales were going up into rivers and sounds. The whales new something was up when they were being followed with boats. The whales without young ones took the trappers in one direction while the mothers with babies veered off in another direction, but the Sea World people had helicoptors and spotted them. Then the people in boats started throwing dynamite in the water and herded all the orcas in a small area that had huge nets.

Sea World released the adult orcas but kept the babies because they were cheaper to ship, but the adults wouldn't leave the area and just kept making really sad noises. The Sea World people botched some of the captures, killing some of the young ones, so they cut them open and filled them with rocks so they'd sink and the trappers wouldn't get in trouble with authorities who might've come across the bodies.

They interviewed one of the trappers in present day who was a Vietnam vet and ex mercenary who had helped to otherthrow two governments in Central America, and he said this was the worst sh*t he had ever seen in his life and started crying. The state of Washington found out what Sea World was doing and got a court order to stop them, but Sea World just went to Iceland and did the same thing there.

Scene was one of the saddest and fascinating things I've watched in a while.  That the Orcas were so smart to have devised that original scheme to how sad everything that went on after that was.

It's worth watching the whole documentary.  "The Cove" is another good one.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Bunchy Carter said:

No matter what, do NOT read the comments section. There's a BUNCH of Post-racial comments.

I'd imagine a high pct of those commenters have make America great again bumper stickers.

I'd also imagine those are the guys who would tell you racism doesn't exist anymore.

I'm not blaming the parents on this one. My dad got a pic of me when I was 3 attempting to scale the fence at the Jacksonville Zoo. He promptly took the picture went and took me off the fence and tore my *** up. I see where this could easily happen with a mischievous child. I know nothing about this mother but I think this incident in no way reflects her ability as a parent or does it comment on her relationship with her child. It does indicate they still make kids that will get into everything they can.

1 hour ago, Grrrillapmpn Inc.® said:

My FB post...

I realize accidents happen, but...I've been to the zoo several times with no less than a dozen kids that don't belong to me, none older than five... I've never misplaced a kid or kept my eyes off them long enough for one to climb up and enter a habitat. IJS.

I see your game.  Trying to get one of those young ladies with a youngish kid.

As a parent of tons of children, without knowing what the mother was actually doing, I can say, that it can be difficult to keep an eye on them at all times.  I have had 2 kids that have run in opposite directions at the same time.

On 6/1/2016 at 11:47 AM, Free Radical said:

The number of people that can't fathom any decent parent not having a second by second knowledge of their child's location is amusing to me. 

I agree and I would consider myself a lite version of a helicopter parent, and even I have turned away and back to discover my children not where they were a moment before. Your heart does drop, but kids wander constantly, it happens. You cannot have eyes on them every second. I heard this mother was watching other children as well, so again, this hate she is getting is just pathetic.

On 6/1/2016 at 1:04 PM, Andrews_31 said:

I don't know what the zoo could have done in this situation Free other than try to protect the gorilla from stupid humans.  The kid told his mom he wanted to "swim with the gorilla," and then proceeded to do it!  That kid (and the parents) are extremely lucky the child fell fifteen feet into the water (after climbing over a barrier and through some bushes) and didn't break his neck in the process.  I would hate for the parents to take his little bad *** to Gator World!!!

Is that the one in St Augustine? That bridge in which you walk 12 ft over a few hundred gators freaked me the **** out.

5 minutes ago, silentbob1272 said:

I agree and I would consider myself a lite version of a helicopter parent, and even I have turned away and back to discover my children not where they were a moment before. Your heart does drop, but kids wander constantly, it happens. You cannot have eyes on them every second. I heard this mother was watching other children as well, so again, this hate she is getting is just pathetic.

I still take nearly every step that my 12 year old does, though I suspect part of that is only having her on Wednesdays and every other weekend. 

On 6/1/2016 at 2:56 PM, Andrews_31 said:

I'm not anti-zoo, but let's face it, can we really protect people from themselves...................and this bad azz 4 year old deserves a Darwin Award!  To be quite honest, the kid didn't deserve a death sentence from climbing a barrier, jumping bushes, and falling 15' into a gorilla pen, but (IMNSHO) the gorilla didn't deserve to die either!  There has to be another way!!!

Absolutely the gorilla did not deserve to die, but in order to very likely save the life of this child, he had to die. It's horrible, and unfair, but it's still the reality of the situation that the zoo keepers found themselves in.

On 6/1/2016 at 3:26 PM, Billy Ocean said:

I'm not one of these ******** who goes around talking about how lazy and entitled millennials are and **** like that, but in my lifetime I have noticed a decline in people making sure their kids behave in public.

I was enjoying a nice seafood dinner recently and a couple tables down this family had a little kid who kept getting loud. Other people were giving them side-eyes, too. When I got up to leave I farted on 'em.

This is undeniable. We take our kids to the playground and actually play with them. Others parents are there engrossed in their phones sitting on benches while their kids wander, push each other at the top of slides, etc while their parents remain oblivious. This has become the rule rather than the exception.

23 hours ago, Andrews_31 said:

True, but in this case, this "stuff" was preventable.  Does it matter how tall the fence was, this little boy scaled the one that was there and (apparently) crawled through a hedge row!  This kid should be in Ranger School!  All of this took time, and from reading online, mom is either getting ready to, or is in the process of suing the zoo!  Shameful!

Now that would be shameful

18 minutes ago, silentbob1272 said:

You do realize you're practicing your own flavor of prejudice right?

I don't think it's that far of a stretch to guess who people who post racist comments Foxnews are gonna support in this election. Can't imagine there are many Obama voters there.

39 minutes ago, silentbob1272 said:

You do realize you're practicing your own flavor of prejudice right?

How is it prejudice?

Calling Obama a ****** is clearly the actions of a racist.

Donald Trump appeals highly to racists.

The Republican far-right talk often as if systemic racism, or racism in general doesn't really exist any more. 

People who are going to post on a Fox News article are going to be people who frequent Fox's website.

I don't see the prejudice here. 

On 6/2/2016 at 11:01 AM, Grrrillapmpn Inc.® said:

My FB post...

I realize accidents happen, but...I've been to the zoo several times with no less than a dozen kids that don't belong to me, none older than five... I've never misplaced a kid or kept my eyes off them long enough for one to climb up and enter a habitat. IJS.

My kids are only 4 and 6.  They are very good with their teachers, babysitters, and their friend's parents.  They listen and will sit calmly when they are supposed.  Meanwhile, my son can't sit still for 5 minutes when he's at home.  It's much different when they are your kids.  And no, it's not a good vs bad parenting thing.  

In my opinion, you should not run your house with your own kids the same way you would run a classroom of other people's kids.  What kids are allowed to do is much more fluid at home, while school is for learning, period.  What is permitted and not permitted is not as clear for children when they are with their parents, especially not at 4 years old.  For example, you should not discipline a 3 or 4 year old for going to the bathroom without raising their hand first.  They have a level of freedom to move about without having to ask for permission first.  It takes time for them to learn where the line is drawn, and they test those limits.