No one is talking about Harambe?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Flip Flop said:

How is it that the parents are being so demonized when the zoo is keeping an extremely dangerous animal in a cage that a four year old can get into.  Oh, yea and four year olds are their prime audience.  If I invited you to my house and your four year old got into a cage with a four hundred pound gorilla, you would hold me responsible.

Probably, but I'd think you're not in the business of doing this.

A zoo is a company that makes $ because they have animals on display for people to observe.  Being in that business means they carry a burden of making their facilities/premises reasonably safe.  Maybe the facility was and the kid did some amazing things but he's 3 years old and unless he's a mini-Peter Parker I have trouble believing the kid should have been able to get in there that easily.  I also think that as hard as it is to watch kids, they are responsible here.  There's no way NOBODY was negligent and this happened.

Imagine the worst happens and the kid got down there and died.  Would anyone say, "Lets give some people a pass..." then?  Doubtful.  We shouldn't wait until the worst happens to show people there are consequences.

13 minutes ago, Joremarid said:

Sometimes stuff happens.

True, but in this case, this "stuff" was preventable.  Does it matter how tall the fence was, this little boy scaled the one that was there and (apparently) crawled through a hedge row!  This kid should be in Ranger School!  All of this took time, and from reading online, mom is either getting ready to, or is in the process of suing the zoo!  Shameful!

1 hour ago, Andrews_31 said:

You forgot to include the 15' drop and the moat....................

A four year old who is mildly athletic can scale a three foot fence faster than you can say three foot fence.  Have you chased a two year old who has a few feet head start.  They are quicker and more agile than you expect.  Plus, if you are going to spend millions of dollar promoting a child friendly display of animals, then maybe it should be, you know, safe!!

A fifteen foot drop with a moat at the bottom is a trap, not a barrier.  

57 minutes ago, Worzone said:

Because they are being hunted to extinction in africa. Sending all gorillas home is a death sentence for the species 

2. Zoos are educational for adults amd children about our world. observation of behavior and social structure, protection from poaching and death, and procreation and reintroduction of endangered species. 

Many zoos take in illegally owned pets, injured animals and those who simply wouldn't survive in the wild for one reason or another as well...

I watched part of a documentary on CNN called "Blackfish" about Sea World's orcas. It showed how they originally went about catching them in the 70s. They went up to Washington State and found where some whales were going up into rivers and sounds. The whales new something was up when they were being followed with boats. The whales without young ones took the trappers in one direction while the mothers with babies veered off in another direction, but the Sea World people had helicoptors and spotted them. Then the people in boats started throwing dynamite in the water and herded all the orcas in a small area that had huge nets.

Sea World released the adult orcas but kept the babies because they were cheaper to ship, but the adults wouldn't leave the area and just kept making really sad noises. The Sea World people botched some of the captures, killing some of the young ones, so they cut them open and filled them with rocks so they'd sink and the trappers wouldn't get in trouble with authorities who might've come across the bodies.

They interviewed one of the trappers in present day who was a Vietnam vet and ex mercenary who had helped to otherthrow two governments in Central America, and he said this was the worst sh*t he had ever seen in his life and started crying. The state of Washington found out what Sea World was doing and got a court order to stop them, but Sea World just went to Iceland and did the same thing there.

1 hour ago, Andrews_31 said:

I'm not anti-zoo, but let's face it, can we really protect people from themselves...................and this bad azz 4 year old deserves a Darwin Award!  To be quite honest, the kid didn't deserve a death sentence from climbing a barrier, jumping bushes, and falling 15' into a gorilla pen, but (IMNSHO) the gorilla didn't deserve to die either!  There has to be another way!!!

I agree the silverback didn't deserve to die.  However, I think zoo's and circuses have outlived their time as caging wild animals is never a good thing.  

32 minutes ago, Flip Flop said:

A four year old who is mildly athletic can scale a three foot fence faster than you can say three foot fence.  Have you chased a two year old who has a few feet head start.  They are quicker and more agile than you expect.  Plus, if you are going to spend millions of dollar promoting a child friendly display of animals, then maybe it should be, you know, safe!!

A fifteen foot drop with a moat at the bottom is a trap, not a barrier.  

I once had a four year old child, that is now a 17 year old teenager, so you're not telling me anything I don't already know.  I will admit, my son was not a bad as all he11 kid either, but he did know "how to conduct himself" and we did pre-load him (remind him) when we went out, and I will admit, I watched him like a hawk too!  The little boy is a straight dumb azz for wanting to "swim with the gorillas" and going through with it.  Let's face it, mom had taken her eyes off of this kid for a while, and from reading online, some people (not the mother) watched this kid climb the barrier (they were probably not believing what was happening, but I would have grabbed the kid if I were there)!

Oh, the fifteen foot drop with a moat did a dam good job of keeping the gorillas in and people out until that bad azz kid and his inattentive mother showed up.  Maybe they should let this gifted and athletic 4 year old test the rest of the animal enclosures to see if the animals are safe from his destructive little azz, you know, to make sure it's "safe."

11 minutes ago, Joremarid said:

Eh we just disagree. Sometimes kids do things you'll never expect them to and no one has eyes on their kid 24/7

You're missing my point.  This took TIME, the mother took her eyes off of this kid for " a while."  It's not like this kid parkoured his lil' azz into that enclosure in an instant!  The Miami Zoo is putting up another barrier of briar's (or some prickly plant) after this unfolded.  The have almost the same setup!

19 minutes ago, Andrews_31 said:

You're missing my point.  This took TIME, the mother took her eyes off of this kid for " a while."  It's not like this kid parkoured his lil' azz into that enclosure in an instant!  The Miami Zoo is putting up another barrier of briar's (or some prickly plant) after this unfolded.  The have almost the same setup!

How long do you think it takes a kid to get over a 3 foot fence and through some bushes? I'm guessing... 15-20 seconds, max. Probably closer to 10 seconds. 

Either way it's apparently quick enough to where people watched the kid do it and didn't have time to respond.

6 minutes ago, Joremarid said:

How long do you think it takes a kid to get over a 3 foot fence and through some bushes? I'm guessing... 15-20 seconds, max.

Either way it's apparently quick enough to where people watched the kid do it and didn't have time to respond.

I don't know how long it took for his azz to climb that barrier and CRAWL under a hedge row, but mom should have Popeye arms from beating his azz after this episode!  It's also telling that people had the presence of mind to whip out their cell phones but not stop this kid from phucking up the zoo for everyone else!  We are in the last days folks!!!!

8 minutes ago, Joremarid said:

How long do you think it takes a kid to get over a 3 foot fence and through some bushes? I'm guessing... 15-20 seconds, max.

Also, Miami is doing it the right way.  You get through that newly installed briar patch (along with the other barriers), you deserve whatever happens!!!

4 hours ago, Joremarid said:

3ft fence and some bushes followed by a fall... don't exactly have to be spiderman. And "well someone has to be held responsible " isn't a very good argument as to why any particular person is negligent. Sometimes stuff happens.

Nope.  We'll just agree to disagree.  A kid winding up in an exhibit with a gorilla that could kill him is not a situation where "stuff happens" is acceptable. 

Car accident...yea.

Kid in a zoo exhibit...naw.  Something needs to change and it shouldn't have happened.  Even if the zoo THOUGHT things were good enough to keep kids out barring extraordinary circumstances it's now clear that they weren't.