No one is talking about Harambe?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys might find this ridiculous but I've never taken my daughter to the zoo or circus because we don't believe in imprisoning animals for amusement. I'm not a crazy PETA idiot. Me and my wife have talked with our daughter about this and she's fully on board. I realize that in some instances that preserving endangered animals is necessary for breeding to increase numbers but 95% of the animals at the zoos are not endangered. Don't get me started on the traveling Gestapo know as a circus.

12 hours ago, slamee101 said:

Actually most of my friends are all over the board with this one and a few of them have multiple kids.  It's been fascinating to see the arguments that have ensued.

As a coworker said today, "Everyone is a great parent and knows everything...until they have kids!"

Personally, I get that things happen but I think there's still a need for the parents to be held accountable.  Possibly the zoo as well.  This type of thing doesn't happen unless someone is negligent.

Sad situation, but they did what they had to.  Tranquilizers aren't instant and the child was in peril.  The Gorilla could have snapped and that would have been it.

A parent has a kid run off and break a $1200 TV in Target they have to pay for it right?  I think some charges should come from this even if they are misdemeanor charges.

How is it that the parents are being so demonized when the zoo is keeping an extremely dangerous animal in a cage that a four year old can get into.  Oh, yea and four year olds are their prime audience.  If I invited you to my house and your four year old got into a cage with a four hundred pound gorilla, you would hold me responsible.

4 minutes ago, Free Radical said:

I don't see why there needs to be a huge accountability and blame thing here. The zoo could look into better containment, but it's not like this is happening every week. 

I don't know what the zoo could have done in this situation Free other than try to protect the gorilla from stupid humans.  The kid told his mom he wanted to "swim with the gorilla," and then proceeded to do it!  That kid (and the parents) are extremely lucky the child fell fifteen feet into the water (after climbing over a barrier and through some bushes) and didn't break his neck in the process.  I would hate for the parents to take his little bad *** to Gator World!!!

12 minutes ago, Andrews_31 said:

I don't know what the zoo could have done in this situation Free other than try to protect the gorilla from stupid humans.  The kid told his mom he wanted to "swim with the gorilla," and then proceeded to do it!  That kid (and the parents) are extremely lucky the child fell fifteen feet into the water (after climbing over a barrier and through some bushes) and didn't break his neck in the process.  I would hate for the parents to take his little bad *** to Gator World!!!

Of course the parents share in the blame, but the zoo could have made it a little more difficult for a toddler to enter their gorilla enclosure. 

Just now, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Of course the parents share in the blame, but the zoo could have made it a little more difficult for a toddler to enter their gorilla enclosure. 

Put the gorilla behind glass, absolutely, let that gorilla roam free back in Africa, absolutely.................

8 hours ago, Worzone said:

Doesnt the zoo have rubber bullets or sandbags that could be shot at the gorilla? This would definitely hurt the animal and cause it to flee from the child and area. Perhaps they could have saved them both.  

Would you like them to take that chance if it was your kid? 

3 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

You guys might find this ridiculous but I've never taken my daughter to the zoo or circus because we don't believe in imprisoning animals for amusement. I'm not a crazy PETA idiot. Me and my wife have talked with our daughter about this and she's fully on board. I realize that in some instances that preserving endangered animals is necessary for breeding to increase numbers but 95% of the animals at the zoos are not endangered. Don't get me started on the traveling Gestapo know as a circus.

Yea we don't do the circus either. Zoo and aquarium are ok though for us.

5 hours ago, Nono said:

A few thoughts after reading the article.

1. Donald Trump is the voice of reason. Scary

2. A 3ft fence and some bushes... that's all? Wow.

3. We know this dad's irrelevant criminal history a couple days after the incident... how long did it take to find out trayvon Martin went to space camp?

9 hours ago, Worzone said:

Doesnt the zoo have rubber bullets or sandbags that could be shot at the gorilla? This would definitely hurt the animal and cause it to flee from the child and area. Perhaps they could have saved them both.  

Anytime you have to say perhaps when regarding human life you've basically answered your own question.  I'm with 31, the silverback should be back in Africa where he is free.  Why the he.ll do we have zoo's anyways?  Oh right, jobs...

23 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Why the he.ll do we have zoo's anyways? 

I'm not anti-zoo, but let's face it, can we really protect people from themselves...................and this bad azz 4 year old deserves a Darwin Award!  To be quite honest, the kid didn't deserve a death sentence from climbing a barrier, jumping bushes, and falling 15' into a gorilla pen, but (IMNSHO) the gorilla didn't deserve to die either!  There has to be another way!!!

1 hour ago, Vogelgryff said:

Detachable silver back... This kid is a spy!

harambe_gorilla-610x394.png

Even the gorilla knew...   "Pull yer dayum pants up, no sagging!"  :lol:

Seriously, yes, I fault the parents on this one.  I find it hard to fault the zoo.  No, I don't have kids but I was a kid and I know how my mother raised me.  There's absolutely no way I'd have tried this stunt.  Whether or not my mother had her eyes on me or not, she made it perfectly clear that when she said no it meant no. That's not how today's parenting works though.    

1 minute ago, capologist said:

Even the gorilla knew...   "Pull yer dayum pants up, no sagging!"  :lol:

Seriously, yes, I fault the parents on this one.  I find it hard to fault the zoo.  No, I don't have kids but I was a kid and I know how my mother raised me.  There's absolutely no way I'd have tried this stunt.  Whether or not my mother had her eyes on me or not, she made it perfectly clear that when she said no it meant no. That's not how today's parenting works though.    

Looking like a fool with your pants on the water...

I'm not one of these ******** who goes around talking about how lazy and entitled millennials are and **** like that, but in my lifetime I have noticed a decline in people making sure their kids behave in public.

I was enjoying a nice seafood dinner recently and a couple tables down this family had a little kid who kept getting loud. Other people were giving them side-eyes, too. When I got up to leave I farted on 'em.

52 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I'm with 31, the silverback should be back in Africa where he is free.  Why the he.ll do we have zoo's anyways?  Oh right, jobs...

Because they are being hunted to extinction in africa. Sending all gorillas home is a death sentence for the species 

2. Zoos are educational for adults amd children about our world. observation of behavior and social structure, protection from poaching and death, and procreation and reintroduction of endangered species.