No one is talking about Harambe?

I thought there was nothing else being discussed in the whole blanking country today.

Painting of gorilla. Picture reads 'Justice for Harambe'

It was horrible, especially since they are endangered, but these people need to get some ******* perspective. That child might have\probably would have died had the zoo keepers not acted in the way they did.

Justice for Harambe: Mother harassed online after gorilla shot dead

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

I hear the mother is catching h3ll for not watching the child.

Guaranteed the only people giving her h3ll are people without 2 or more kids.  I have 2 and there have been moments where I freaked out losing site of my son for 30 seconds.  30 seconds doesn't sound like much but it feels like a lifetime when you can't see your child.  And it's more than enough time for a 4 year old to get into a place they shouldn't be.  

Maybe I should say this a different way.  The only people with 2 or more kids that can't see how a 4 year old escaped the mother's sites must be helicopter parents that buy those leashes for taking their kids outside.  You don't carry them or put them in a stroller at 4 years old.  Depending on their personality, they may or may not even want to hold your hand when walking.  

****** situation.  I'd be curious to know if it was a moment where the mom lost site or if she was just a terrible mother.  I've seen both.  Some people just don't deserve to have kids.  Given that she actually made the effort to go to the zoo with her child, I'm going to guess it is the former.  

Yea pretty much agree with all of the opinions in this thread. He had to be shot. They said he was protecting the kid... didn't look like that to me. And kids cam get away. No one has ever not taken their eyes off of their kid. I'm curious as to how a kid can get into the exhibit in the first place.

Interesting article. Doesn't change my opinion. Good for the father turning his life around. To read that she was also watching "several other children", it just reinforces my initial thought. People should not be judging her because this type of situation can happen to anyone.

Ftr, I hate that they are black and he has a criminal record. Ignorant people will see that and pass judgment while they ignore the rest of it. She was watching several kids. A staff person attested to it not being her fault. She was watching her kids, not ignoring them. She lost sight of him and stopped her husband from jumping in to save his son.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3617016/EXCLUSIVE-PICTURES-parents-four-son-fell-zoo-enclosure-sparking-controversial-killing-Harambe-gorilla-emerges-father-lengthy-criminal-history.html

19 minutes ago, Joremarid said:

Yea pretty much agree with all of the opinions in this thread. He had to be shot. They said he was protecting the kid... didn't look like that to me. And kids cam get away. No one has ever not taken their eyes off of their kid. I'm curious as to how a kid can get into the exhibit in the first place.

It's a fine line that zoo's must walk, to make the animals accessible to the public while protecting each from the other. An effective barrier for an exhibit like this should protect from falls, but not be so restrictive that you can only see the animal through glass. This exhibit did that, this was the first such incident in 30 some odd years, but an open exhibit cannot prevent someone from climbing over the fence that no one is permitted to be on. I sympathize with the parents and think all the hate they're getting is pathetic, but we all know how quick a child can get away from us, so watch him extra close around open exhibits with long drops into the habitats of wild freaking animals, especially after the child expresses how he wants to get into the water with the gorilla. 

“The little boy himself had already been talking about wanting to ... get in the water. The mother's like, 'No, you're not, no, you're not,'” O’Connor said.

Just now, Joremarid said:

Yea I saw that bob. Kid probably needed a little lesson in discipline as well. But I'm not passing judgement on the parents at all. Sometimes accidents happen. Mistakes happen. But you kill the gorilla everytime.

I agree, as sad as it is, what else could they do? If they had not and the child had been killed or seriously hurt, can you even imagine the backlash the zoo would be getting?

2 hours ago, pzummo said:

Interesting article. Doesn't change my opinion. Good for the father turning his life around. To read that she was also watching "several other children", it just reinforces my initial thought. People should not be judging her because this type of situation can happen to anyone.

Ftr, I hate that they are black and he has a criminal record. Ignorant people will see that and pass judgment while they ignore the rest of it. She was watching several kids. A staff person attested to it not being her fault. She was watching her kids, not ignoring them. She lost sight of him and stopped her husband from jumping in to save his son.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3617016/EXCLUSIVE-PICTURES-parents-four-son-fell-zoo-enclosure-sparking-controversial-killing-Harambe-gorilla-emerges-father-lengthy-criminal-history.html

This isn't an article. It's a column at best...however we should call it what it is. An outright hit piece.Why in the heck is this father's criminal PAST being aired out? It has zero bearing on this occurrence.

The author comes off as tone deaf and looking for someone to vilify. He wasn't even at the dang zoo...I can see if the dad was there, in the act of committing a crime that left his son unattended. Disgusting...

2 hours ago, pzummo said:

How is any of that even relevant to what happened? 

Because primates share alot of human-like qualities, we often forget that gorillas, chimpanzees, baboons, etc are very dangerous animals that can kill a person quite easily. The fault definitely lies with the parents and the zoo here, but once the child was in danger there really wasn't an alternative. This would not even be a discussion if it had happened in a lion or tiger cage. Sucks that the animal died, but I don't know of a better alternative once the child was being dragged around like that.

2 hours ago, Joremarid said:

How is any of that even relevant to what happened? 

Did you read the entire article? Or stop at the point where she recapped his criminal history and noting how he turned his life around? That was a very small part of the overall article. I agree that part is not relevant to what happened, but based on how I read it, she seemed like she defended it saying he turned his life around working and providing for his family.

If you can get past that first sectikn, she had many quotes from the parents, witnesses, and employees of the zoo. Everyone that was there and saw what happened said the mother was not at fault. I thought that was all very relevant. She also noted how the parents are being harassed. 

I am not going to recap all of it. Just skip the part about the criminal crap and it had a lot of details and quotes from the people close t what happened. And like I said, it reinforced my belief that she was not at fault.

6 hours ago, pzummo said:

Guaranteed the only people giving her h3ll are people without 2 or more kids.  I have 2 and there have been moments where I freaked out losing site of my son for 30 seconds.  30 seconds doesn't sound like much but it feels like a lifetime when you can't see your child.  And it's more than enough time for a 4 year old to get into a place they shouldn't be.  

Maybe I should say this a different way.  The only people with 2 or more kids that can't see how a 4 year old escaped the mother's sites must be helicopter parents that buy those leashes for taking their kids outside.  You don't carry them or put them in a stroller at 4 years old.  Depending on their personality, they may or may not even want to hold your hand when walking.  

Actually most of my friends are all over the board with this one and a few of them have multiple kids.  It's been fascinating to see the arguments that have ensued.

As a coworker said today, "Everyone is a great parent and knows everything...until they have kids!"

Personally, I get that things happen but I think there's still a need for the parents to be held accountable.  Possibly the zoo as well.  This type of thing doesn't happen unless someone is negligent.

Sad situation, but they did what they had to.  Tranquilizers aren't instant and the child was in peril.  The Gorilla could have snapped and that would have been it.

A parent has a kid run off and break a $1200 TV in Target they have to pay for it right?  I think some charges should come from this even if they are misdemeanor charges.

Doesnt the zoo have rubber bullets or sandbags that could be shot at the gorilla? This would definitely hurt the animal and cause it to flee from the child and area. Perhaps they could have saved them both.