Ten most underrated defensive prospects in 2016 NFL Draft

atljbo

A Oldie but Goodie

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000646511/article/ten-most-underrated-defensive-prospects-in-2016-nfl-draft

Most underrated defensive prospects

Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech: Butler (6-foot-3 5/8, 323 pounds, 5.33-second 40-yard dash) is an inside player who plays well vs. the run. He's tall, athletic and strong (26 bench lifts). His best position is nose tackle. He was a standout at the Reese's Senior Bowl, and could be one at the next level.

Maliek Collins, DT, Nebraska: Collins (6-1 7/8, 311, 5.03) is very athletic with speed and strength (25 bench lifts). He has very good ability to get off blocks and make plays. He has long arms. If you want to get a starting nose tackle in the second round, this is your guy.

Chris Jones, DT, Mississippi State: Jones (6-5 3/4, 310, 5.03) has all the ability in the world, but it doesn't always show up on every play. He's an outstanding athlete, strong (26 bench lifts), and has long arms (34 1/2). He's young (played just three years at MSU). He could be a very good NFL player but needs to work harder on every down.

Deion Jones, OLB, LSU: Jones (6-0 7/8, 222, 4.59) plays like Buccaneers LB Lavonte David. He's very athletic and quick. He needs to get stronger and I think he will. He'll start and play on all downs in the NFL. He's one of my favorite players in this draft.

Jonathan Jones, CB, Auburn: The only negative on Jones (5-9 1/8, 186, 4.33) is his lack of height. He plays a lot like Senquez Golson, who was taken by the Steelers in the second round last year. He's strong (19 bench lifts) and very athletic (36-inch vertical jump). Jones has good coverage skills; he had six interceptions in 2014.

Keanu Neal, SS, Florida: Neal (6-0 1/2, 211, 4.62) is ultra-athletic and strong; he had a 38-inch vertical jump, an 11-foot broad jump and 17 bench lifts last month at the NFL Scouting Combine. He has coverage ability. A good pro-day workout on Tuesday could possibly get him into the bottom of the first round.

Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville: Rankins (6-1 1/8, 299, 5.03) is strong and very athletic (34.5-inch vertical jump). He has the speed and quickness needed for the position. Along with Butler, Rankins stood out at the Senior Bowl. I would expect him to be taken in the 25-40 range in the draft.

Hassan Ridgeway, DT, Texas: Ridgeway (6-3 3/8, 303, 5.02) has a lot of ability, but like Chris Jones, he doesn't always use it on every play. He's strong (24 bench lifts) and fast. He's very mature but needs better work habits. If he learns how to work, he'll be a very good NFL player.

Joe Schobert, OLB, Wisconsin: Schobert (6-1 3/8, 244, 4.76) makes plays all over the field. He's very athletic and strong. Besides playing on all four downs, he'll also be a very good special-teams player. He plays with the same intensity of the Cowboys' Sean Lee.

Jihad Ward, DE, Illinois: Ward (6-5 1/8, 297, 5.17) was a high school wide receiver and defensive back who started at a junior college before transferring to Illinois. He has an unbelievable backstory of perseverance. He played just two years with the Illini with only one spring practice.

4 minutes ago, AndySG said:

Don't mean to rain on the parade but this was prior to the draft. That said, I never understood why some people liked Lee but not Jones. 

1st round vs 2nd round

Almost everybody who didn't like Lee, including myself, didn't like him as a 1st round pick. Wouldn't have minded hin as a 2nd round pick.

44 minutes ago, East_Coast_Falcon said:

Am I the only one that finds it odd the artical talks about a 1st and 2nd round pick as 'underrated'? If they weren't thought highly of wouldn't they have gone significantly later in the draft?

yep but this is a really old article

10 hours ago, gazoo said:

Neal ended up not just having a good pro day, he blew the scouts away at his pro day. He also blew the Falcon coaches away in his private workout.

Neal was briskly rising up teams draft boards right up to the draft.

Pure speculation, you have no glue where Neal stood on other teams draft boards.  The article stated Neal could find himself draft at the end of the 1st round and was drafted in the middle of the 1st round. 

Edited by insight

2 hours ago, insight said:

Pure speculation, you have no glue where Neal stood on other teams draft boards.  The article stated Neal could find himself draft at the end of the 1st round and was drafted in the middle of the 1st round. 

That article was written before his pro day. We have quotes not just from TD, but from Gil Brandt and others stating he subsequently blew the teams away at his pro day and again in private workouts. He was slated as early as late first round ***prior*** to these occurances.

We also have the fact he was drafted in the middle of the first round and heard a couple of other teams picking just after us were really interested in him.

Have you been in a coma since the article came out? 

3 hours ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

1st round vs 2nd round

Almost everybody who didn't like Lee, including myself, didn't like him as a 1st round pick. Wouldn't have minded hin as a 2nd round pick.

I didn't like Lee. That's what I'm saying. Jones in the 2nd over Lee in the 1st every time!

2 hours ago, gazoo said:

That article was written before his pro day. We have quotes not just from TD, but from Gil Brandt and others stating he subsequently blew the teams away at his pro day and again in private workouts. He was slated as early as late first round ***prior*** to these occurances.

We also have the fact he was drafted in the middle of the first round and heard a couple of other teams picking just after us were really interested in him.

Have you been in a coma since the article came out? 

You know as well as I do several articles suggested Neal was a reach at 17 but let's not rehash that argument.
If Neal becomes a cornerstone impact player on our defense for years to come everybody will be happy. If he is nothing more than a serviceable starter 17 was too high. No coma just reserving judgement before fitting Neal for a yellow jacket as some suggest. 

1 hour ago, AndySG said:

I didn't like Lee. That's what I'm saying. Jones in the 2nd over Lee in the 1st every time!

I didn't like him much but him and Lee have the same style of play. Obviously there are many differences between the two that's deeper than this convo should go....lol. But I agree, Jones in the 2nd over Lee in the 1st. Both of them in the 2nd makes it a lil bit tougher but I might still go with Jones.

8 hours ago, insight said:

You know as well as I do several articles suggested Neal was a reach at 17 but let's not rehash that argument.
If Neal becomes a cornerstone impact player on our defense for years to come everybody will be happy. If he is nothing more than a serviceable starter 17 was too high. No coma just reserving judgement before fitting Neal for a yellow jacket as some suggest. 

Those articles you speak of were written by pundits who did not attend his pro day and private workouts. What happened was teams realized he had far more skills than were utilized in college, especially as they relate to playing up close the the LOS with his incredible back pedal, ability to flip out of his back pedal and cover, as well as his ability to track and close explosively on ball carriers coming out of the backfield limiting yards after contact. 

He was used mostly in the outfield in college.

His pro game skill set for a guy that size are off the chart for what we need in a SS. 

2 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

LOL. Some of y'all got TD looking like Reed Richards reaching out to draft players like...

TD%20Reaching.jpg

To make that even better you could have TDs back hand pushing back FFS70 and his mock draft,  with TDs front one reaching! LMAO

On 5/30/2016 at 11:38 AM, insight said:

Sheldon Rankins projected 25-40 in this article. Went 12th overall.