Texas Blues

JDaveG

Once you dissect SRV's style and break down what he's doing you'll have a pretty good handle on all of the guys that came before him. If you try to match his intensity, though, your forearm will melt and pool up on the floor at your feet. Everybody borrows from his bag but we don't do it with 12s. Due to circumstances beyond my control and blah blah blah I'm not playing for a living right now but when I want a real workout I still throw down some SRV and roll with it until I go numb. 

You'll probably laugh and tell me to turn in my man card but, if you want to work on some stuff that includes classic blues licks and adds in some more melodic (and slightly more technical stuff) break down some John Mayer solos. Particularly the trio stuff. If you just want to feel inadequate (completely different genre) check out Tommy Emanuel. 

Texas blues is a great starting point for anyone that wants to get a feel for improvising lead over basic chord structures. You can never go wrong with fender on fender with a little tube screamer thrown in. Heck, if you've got the jack, get a dumble and REALLY go to town! Then let me borrow the dumble :)

14 minutes ago, WalkingTheDawg said:

Once you dissect SRV's style and break down what he's doing you'll have a pretty good handle on all of the guys that came before him. If you try to match his intensity, though, your forearm will melt and pool up on the floor at your feet. Everybody borrows from his bag but we don't do it with 12s. Due to circumstances beyond my control and blah blah blah I'm not playing for a living right now but when I want a real workout I still throw down some SRV and roll with it until I go numb. 

You'll probably laugh and tell me to turn in my man card but, if you want to work on some stuff that includes classic blues licks and adds in some more melodic (and slightly more technical stuff) break down some John Mayer solos. Particularly the trio stuff. If you just want to feel inadequate (completely different genre) check out Tommy Emanuel. 

Texas blues is a great starting point for anyone that wants to get a feel for improvising lead over basic chord structures. You can never go wrong with fender on fender with a little tube screamer thrown in. Heck, if you've got the jack, get a dumble and REALLY go to town! Then let me borrow the dumble :)

I play with 11s on all mine, but yeah, full step and step and a half bends are a workout.  I think it makes playing that style easier though (SRV style, not Texas Blues -- Billy Gibbons uses 8s last I checked).  SRV's playing was so tied into his furious right hand attack.  It's hard to do that with lighter strings and get the vibrato right.  You need a little fight to the guitar to be able to hit it that hard and have it not go all wonky on you.

Mayer is a stud, I don't care who likes him.  I don't like his sugar pop music or most of his public takes on things he thinks we need to know about him but we don't.  But the dude can play the everloving **** out of a guitar.

I'll say this too -- for SRV tone, you can really use any amp so long as it's loud.  I have a Deluxe Reverb, a Vox and a Marshall, and any of them will do if you turn the volume up sufficiently.  The guitar's volume knob is the variable.  The amp should be turned up and left there.  I prefer the Marshall, personally, but most of that is because the Vox makes your ears bleed past about 4 on the dial.  It's just way too loud for any serious use.  The Fender will obviously get you there -- that's what SRV used.  But it's more cliche.  I feel like I can do more with the Marshall and I'm not just pigeonholed into that one tone profile.

I wish I had your selection of amps. I had a Marshall 800 that I loved but I've never owned a vox. I'm running a Fender 75 with a 15" right now because I got it cheap on Craig's list. It's decent but nothing special. I had to sell everything I had a couple years ago due to family illness so I'm just kinda stuck with what I can afford right now. I've got crappy knock off pedals and a Mexican strat. It's a whole different world than what I'm used to but it's better than nothing I guess. I really miss that 800 though. Anyway, keep on picking man. Glad to know I'm not alone on here. 

5 hours ago, WalkingTheDawg said:

I wish I had your selection of amps. I had a Marshall 800 that I loved but I've never owned a vox. I'm running a Fender 75 with a 15" right now because I got it cheap on Craig's list. It's decent but nothing special. I had to sell everything I had a couple years ago due to family illness so I'm just kinda stuck with what I can afford right now. I've got crappy knock off pedals and a Mexican strat. It's a whole different world than what I'm used to but it's better than nothing I guess. I really miss that 800 though. Anyway, keep on picking man. Glad to know I'm not alone on here. 

The Vox is one I got in a trade. It's my cheapest amp, an AC30cc2, and it's also my favorite. And I didn't want it - the dude had to talk me into the trade :lol:

I also have a Mexi Strat, and I have to say I love it too. I also have a nicer one, but the MIM gets a ton of playing time. They're great guitars. I swapped Texas Specials into mine a while back, but the stock pickups are much better than people give them credit for. I'll give this one to the kids one day. 

13 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

The Vox is one I got in a trade. It's my cheapest amp, an AC30cc2, and it's also my favorite. And I didn't want it - the dude had to talk me into the trade :lol:

I also have a Mexi Strat, and I have to say I love it too. I also have a nicer one, but the MIM gets a ton of playing time. They're great guitars. I swapped Texas Specials into mine a while back, but the stock pickups are much better than people give them credit for. I'll give this one to the kids one day. 

Did you get rid of the Danelectro you got in that trade?  (If I'm remembering correctly)...

I've got a Burton Signature Telecaster that was made in Mexico.  It is a great guitar.

13 minutes ago, Googlywoogly said:

Did you get rid of the Danelectro you got in that trade?  (If I'm remembering correctly)...

I've got a Burton Signature Telecaster that was made in Mexico.  It is a great guitar.

Different trade - I got the MIM Strat with the U2 in partial trade for a guitar I was selling. I gave that one to my girls.  I tried to sell it but couldn't get anything but lowball offers  

The Vox I got in a trade for an amp I was selling. Turns out I can't sell anything but I can trade the **** out of some stuff :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On May 27, 2016 at 11:08 PM, JDaveG said:

But before that there was this:

On this note, a Les Paul with the switch in the middle and both pickups full up into a Marshall just oozes Texas Blues.  Especially if you have unpotted vintage pickups in it (like Seth Lovers or something similar).

I was just playing around in the guitar room and that thing was honking like a goose.  Great, great tone.