NFC South QB Landscape...

On 5/27/2016 at 5:09 PM, Vandy said:

No question Matt Ryan regressed last season. 

I wouldn't say Matt Ryan regressed, it was obvious the Offense line was terrible last year, I wouldn't hold any QB accountable for their actions as bad as the O-line and especially the Center last year was. I know the Falcons signed probably the best Center in the league this year which further proves what I am saying. 

But that being said, my point is, you can't blame last seasons failures all on Matt Ryan, Considering Julio's numbers at the end of the Falcons season I think Matt done a pretty great job making sure he got the ball to him considering the horrible O-line and center problems last year. 

Just my opinion......... Flame away haters....................... 

5 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Was last year your first season of watching the NFL? I'm assuming you are a new Falcon fan, maybe 14 years old and just learning the game?

Yes to everything you asked. Any more questions genius? If so the answers are Yes to those in advance so no further reply from you is necessary. Good day champ

38 minutes ago, GeorgiaFalconFan said:

I wouldn't say Matt Ryan regressed, it was obvious the Offense line was terrible last year, I wouldn't hold any QB accountable for their actions as bad as the O-line and especially the Center last year was. I know the Falcons signed probably the best Center in the league this year which further proves what I am saying. 

But that being said, my point is, you can't blame last seasons failures all on Matt Ryan, Considering Julio's numbers at the end of the Falcons season I think Matt done a pretty great job making sure he got the ball to him considering the horrible O-line and center problems last year. 

A host of issues contributed to his poor play last year , most completely outside of his control. 

For as good as some of Newton's passing numbers look on paper,  that offense is VERY simple and straight forward in it's passing game.  The majority of their offensive success hinges on the ground game. Without it,  that O suddenly isn't so special.  I'll go ahead and say it now,  I think Winston will be the better passer by far.  I hate saying this about a Buc,  but I really like his game. I think he's the real deal within a few years. 

1 hour ago, GeorgiaFalconFan said:

I'm certainly no hater,  but I do think Ryan deserves some accountability at the same time. There's a lot of moving parts when it comes to evaluating the entire offense and going forward I expect Matt to be at the bottom of the list as far as problems are concerned. 

People were debating last year about whether or not Shanahan was influencing Ryan's pre snap decisions.  I have been watching all the games again and I still believe that you can say yes to an extent.  I've watched numerous plays where it's very obvious that in the few plays when Matt doesn't look Julio's way for the first read,  it's basically a misdirection to actually just try and give Julio some space by looking off the coverage before Matt quickly looks back to Julio and throws it to him regardless of what he's seeing.  That first read could actually be open,  but the point of the play was to get the ball to Julio. So Matt tried to do just that. 

The problem with plays like this is that this is totally not how Matt has operated at his best throughout his career.  He's always done a great job letting the game come to him as opposed to forcing the issue. Reading defenses to help him find the best spots/receivers to throw to. This is just a small example of offensive play calling not catering to our qb's strengths.  We shall see how things develop going forward. 

I haven't studied this statistically, only a recollection, but it aways appears Matt has followed up from a subpar season with a better season.  This was certainly the case when he was good in 2008, not as good in 2009, good in 2010, not so good in 2011, and good again in 2012.  The last three years have been harder to judge based on the terrible defense, poor running game in 2013 & 2014, odd coaching decisions in 2013 & 2014, and a whole new HC and OC last season.

I'm betting on him returning to 2012 form this season.  He'd better with this daunting 2016 schedule!

Edited by Quarterback

Percentage of Passes Dropped (via SportingCharts)

1. Matt Ryan (4.89%)

2. Jameis Winston (4.67%)

3. Cam Newton (4.65%)

4. Drew Brees (2.55%)

No way to determine without a painstaking research, but one has to wonder if you could add back in the dropped passes, lost yards thereof, possible TD's lost thereof, and any deflected interceptions from dropped balls (I can remember a couple) for all four QB's how the stats would assemble.  Minimally it can be argued that based on the above percentages the dropped balls affected more adversely Matt's final stats than the other three.  Hard to tell but if, for example, Matt's dropped balls were cut in half like Brees' % of drops who knows, we might win another game or two and sneak into the playoffs!  Wishful thinking, perhaps.

A HUGE problem Matt had last year was a lack of red  zone targets once the field got short. There was Julio, and then there was no one. Roddy only caught 1 TD last year from rapidly declining skills.

Tamme was fine between the 20's but he's never been a good end zone TD catching TE. Hardy was too raw to make any difference although he caught  a lot of TDs in college so this year he may help.

This year in the red zone, Saniu  will help take some coverage off Julio, Hardy a little more, but add that to our new TE Hooper and this could make a huge difference in the red zone with his ability to box out, out muscle defenders and catch the ball at the high point.

46 minutes ago, Atlfanstckndenver said:

I'm certainly no hater,  but I do think Ryan deserves some accountability at the same time. There's a lot of moving parts when it comes to evaluating the entire offense and going forward I expect Matt to be at the bottom of the list as far as problems are concerned. 

People were debating last year about whether or not Shanahan was influencing Ryan's pre snap decisions.  I have been watching all the games again and I still believe that you can say yes to an extent.  I've watched numerous plays where it's very obvious that in the few plays when Matt doesn't look Julio's way for the first read,  it's basically a misdirection to actually just try and give Julio some space by looking off the coverage before Matt quickly looks back to Julio and throws it to him regardless of what he's seeing.  That first read could actually be open,  but the point of the play was to get the ball to Julio. So Matt tried to do just that. 

The problem with plays like this is that this is totally not how Matt has operated at his best throughout his career.  He's always done a great job letting the game come to him as opposed to forcing the issue. Reading defenses to help him find the best spots/receivers to throw to. This is just a small example of offensive play calling not catering to our qb's strengths.  We shall see how things develop going forward. 

When your a QB and the ball is not being hiked to you properly, ya know, things like being thrown over your head and the offensive like isn't blocking anyone. I think he deserves a PASS for the 2015 season. 

It's simple, you have to give the QB a proper hand off with the ball and protect him, Matt had zero time with the offensive line of 2015, they just stunk. Matt was just trying to make something happen for the team. 

Matt simply had NO TIME to do anything, to say someone is an accountable QB you must first give them the time to be a QB and Matt had ZERO time. That's NOT JUST MY OPINION. That is a fact. 

32 minutes ago, Quarterback said:

Percentage of Passes Dropped (via SportingCharts)

1. Matt Ryan (4.89%)

2. Jameis Winston (4.67%)

3. Cam Newton (4.65%)

4. Drew Brees (2.55%)

No way to determine without a painstaking research, but one has to wonder if you could add back in the dropped passes, lost yards thereof, possible TD's lost thereof, and any deflected interceptions from dropped balls (I can remember a couple) for all four QB's how the stats would assemble.  Minimally it can be argued that based on the above percentages the dropped balls affected more adversely Matt's final stats than the other three.  Hard to tell but if, for example, Matt's dropped balls were cut in half like Brees' % of drops who knows, we might win another game or two and sneak into the playoffs!  Wishful thinking, perhaps.

Since you have no source, then I must ask : Where are your percentages on Matt being rushed and bad Center hand offs and such things? Sometimes percentages don't show OTHER PLAYERS mistakes is what I am getting at........ 

I think ne of the more insidious things that happened to Matt last year was the way, largely in passing situations, the interior of our OL would get pushed back off the ball which would eliminate his ability to step forward and buy and extra second to let the play develop.

Our OTs  played great, but the interior get g shoved back really takes away a QBs safety zone and allows defenders to get too close to him to block balls or take away throwing lanes. In short, it's exceptionally disrupting to a QB.

This won't show up on the pressures or sacks stats, but it had a severe impact that kept him from being able to get into a rhythm or get comfortable for long.

11 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Funny people saying Ryan had a bad year but still did

66% Completion

4500 yards

also as much as people say Ryan is an INT machine he still has never had 20+ int's in a year like Brees or eli have had.

He also has never won a RING like Brees or Eli have........ 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Wuzzaaammm Baby