Former Saints DC Ryan Taking a Departing Shot at Falcons D

"The Seahawks have done a fantastic job in their system. They believe in it. I believe in being a multiple defense, an attacking defense, a physical defense," Ryan said. "That's no slight on Seattle by any stretch. They are a very physical defense; they play a very simple scheme and let their guys play. But I don't think that's why you hire a Ryan. I think you hire a Ryan to get the best out of your players and put an enormous amount of pressure on an opposing team. ... Seattle has been great, but all the other teams doing [that scheme] are finishing s----y like I did. Right there next to New Orleans is Atlanta, Jacksonville. That's not sour grapes. That's me getting pissed off. Because I am great."

Robby Boy says his wannabe Seattle Cover 3 defense was garbage like the Jags, Falcons.  It was stupid of New Orleans to build their defense around oft-injured Jairius Byrd; not even Seattle's D was built around Earl Thomas. The system calls for a collective effort.

Edited by no nextel chirp
Adding quote

"The Seahawks have done a fantastic job in their system. They believe in it. I believe in being a multiple defense, an attacking defense, a physical defense," Ryan said. "That's no slight on Seattle by any stretch. They are a very physical defense; they play a very simple scheme and let their guys play. But I don't think that's why you hire a Ryan. I think you hire a Ryan to get the best out of your players and put an enormous amount of pressure on an opposing team. ... Seattle has been great, but all the other teams doing [that scheme] are finishing s----y like I did. Right there next to New Orleans is Atlanta, Jacksonville. That's not sour grapes. That's me getting pissed off. Because I am great."

latest?cb=20140423215906

He's wrong lol. Atlanta and Jacksonville have guys that coached the scheme in Seattle. The know what players they need to acquire to make it work. The Saints just got name recognition and thought that would be enough. It's not even close to the same thing. He's an idiot and so is Micky Loomis. 

They dont even mention Saints when they talk about the scheme where they run the cover 3. We improved and we were middle of the pack. But Quinn is putting value in developing players and having a certain mind set. Not just getting players and making it work. Quinn has a clear plan for success. 

Our D improved .. I will say this ... The scheme does need the players that fits it ..Unless you come to a team that ran the same scheme ... You will have ppl that doesn't fit it.. That's why a rough start should be expected .

We improved tho

16 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Meh. No biggie

I agree.  I'm not butthurt about it.  I just found it odd that he would specifically mention the three teams running the scheme: 1 in glowing terms, the other 2 in not-so glowing terms.  With any scheme (4-3 under, 4-3 over, 3-4, multiple, etc), there are teams that run it successfully and teams that don't.  Quinn has a lot of work to do, but given the youth & money invested in NO's defense vs. Atlanta's defense, I see our trajectory pointing upward.

1 hour ago, no nextel chirp said:

Robby Boy says his wannabe Seattle Cover 3 defense was garbage like the Jags, Falcons.  It was stupid of New Orleans to build their defense around oft-injured Jairius Byrd; not even Seattle's D was built around Earl Thomas. The system calls for a collective effort.

It's funny because at the time EVERYONE thought Byrd was the next Ed Reed or something.

I was sooooo happy when the Saints signed him to that monster deal because in the offseason I looked at when we played the Bills and saw he was a lot of hype..... and loved to line up 20-30 yards deep which immediately took him out of the play most of the time.

"Payton, who was asked about Ryan's comments during a Friday interview with PFT Live, said that 'the idea that it wasn't his defense, or that he wasn't in charge of it, is silly.'"

I doubt any of us like Sean Payton very much.  But I don't buy for a second that they took the 4th best defensive grouping in the entire NFL and decided to dismantle it in favor of trying to run Seattle's system with a coach who had no background in it, and THEN hired Dennis Allen, who has no connection at all to Pete Carroll or Monte Kiffin, to further this master plan.  Sean Payton may be a lot of things, but he isn't stupid.

It's so classy over there in Nawlins...  Here's the entire NFL.COM article...

Ex-Saints DC Rob Ryan: Last-place finish not my fault

• _Rosenthal1-65x90.jpg
  •  

print.png
    g-plus.png
    fb-like.png
    share-button.png

• By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The NFL Editor
  • Published: May 27, 2016 at 10:42 a.m.
  • Updated: May 27, 2016 at 02:43 p.m.

Rex Ryan and Rob Ryan recently sat down for a joint interview with The MMQB that theoretically would be about how the brothers are working together to put last year's disappointments behind them.

Instead, the session typically had all sorts of regrets, excuses, chest-puffing and settling old scores before moving on. Rob Ryan, for one, would like you to know that the Saints' last-place defensive finish over the last two years while he was the coordinator was not his defense.

"Oh, we are dead last in defense," Ryan told Jenny Vrentas. "Well, yeah, you are going to be dead last playing this bull-- defense. But it is my fault because I didn't say anything. I never stood up and said, F-- you, I ain't coaching this. I promise you I'd say it now."

0ap3000000659416.jpg

Rob, who is now a defensive assistant under Rex in Buffalo, said in many different ways that he was pushed to mimic theSeahawks' defense in New Orleans and adopt a simpler, less multiple style of defense in New Orleans. And it all started with the signing of safety Jairus Byrd.

"I think everything starts with the head coach and goes higher than that. They signed players; they signed a free-agent free safety (Jairus Byrd in 2014), and said, we are going to keep him in the middle of the field like the goalpost. Well, that's great. He's not going to make one play back there, and now we have changed the entire defense for one signing, and it ruined us.

"He's a great kid. But the truth of the matter is, you let an All-Pro safety walk, Malcolm Jenkins, and lost your two best leaders on the team, him and Roman Harper," Rob Ryan continued. "We changed the entire style of play. It was strange. But hey, I did the best job I could. And it wasn't good enough. They should have fired me. They probably should have fired everybody that made that decision to go in that direction. Now I'm going to move my whole family over here to Buffalo for a reason: to go kick everybody's ***, including theirs."

If you are wondering what Saints coach Sean Payton thinks about not-so-indirectly getting blamed for the Saints' defensive struggles, not to mention the implication that he should be fired, you don't have to wait.

"The idea that it wasn't his defense, or he wasn't in charge of it, is silly," Payton told Mike Florio onPFT Live Friday morning, via ProFootballTalk. "When you're struggling as bad as we're struggling for two years, and some of the same problems keep coming up -- you know, 10 guys on the field -- those are things that just are hard to live with."

Rob Ryan isn't letting his struggles in New Orleans shake his confidence, though. After all, he doesn't believe it was his defense.

"Seattle has been great, but all the other teams doing (that scheme) are finishing sh--ty like I did," Ryan said. "Right there next to New Orleans is Atlanta, Jacksonville. That's not sour grapes. That's me getting pissed off. Because I am great."

And: "I should have been a d--- like everybody else would have been. That's the truth. Instead, I tried to toe the company line: I'll do it, I'll advance it, I'll slow the plan down because we've got new players here. But that's not what I believe. That's not who I am. Hey, I did it to myself, too."

Rob's gripes with the Saints were only one part of a fascinating interview that is well worth checking out in full. Come for the trashing talking; stay for the swaggering self-belief and lap band jokes.

Saints D will be improved this year, they got some players on their line now. Only helps that Rob Ryan is leaving, he really isn't a good coach but obviously he thinks he is cuz you gotta believe in yourself. It feels so weird cuz I'm more concerned about the Panthers and Bucs for our fight for the division. Complete switch from fighting with the Saints for it from 08-12