Ronald Leary requests trade

AndySG

Cowboys guard Ronald Leary has requested a trade. They obviously have an incredible offensive line - he was a big part of it but La'el Collins looks as if he is the replacement. I'm sure somebody else was going to post this, so why not get the discussion underway? :D

For what it's worth, I think we have one guard spot that's currently available with Levitre taking the other (whether that's fair or not). I would rather keep draft picks and see Person, Chester and Schweitzer compete myself. 

He's a bit of a sloppy fit for our system, not a true Zone Guard, but can play a little in it. He is somewhat athletic.

Thus, I'd be OK with this, depending on compensation, but won't really advocate for it.

It could work, but it's certainly not an obvious move.

Edit: Scratch that. He really isn't all that athletic. He may be a worse fit than I originally thought.

Strengths

Leary is reliable to keep his man sustained in pass protection. He is a heavy-legged mover, however, and he relies on reactionary movements and upper body strength to recover from a shallow pass set. He uses his hands well in both pass protection and run blocking, and he keeps a strong grip and generates movement once engaged. He uses his frame well and keeps himself in an uncompromising position at all times. Although not a "pretty" blocker, Leary is extremely competitive and was routinely seen working downfield at the end of plays to keep his blocks going and get extra hits. His competitiveness will be the driving trait that keeps him on an NFL roster.

Weaknesses

Leary is a classic heavy, laboring mover. He could benefit from a move inside, as he could struggle in getting into an effective pass set in the NFL. He is slow off the ball and rarely shows much explosion into his man. Although he didn't show it much at Memphis, he had difficulties maneuvering around trash at his legs and getting free to the second level to block linebackers. There aren't necessarily technical hitches in Leary's play, but his heavy, slow feet inhibit his ability to move and be effective on the line.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ronald-leary?id=2533454

does not sound like he fits what we are doing.

He may be an upgrade in pass blocking over our current guards but he does not seem nearly as athletic as what we have. I think he probably fits better in a man blocking scheme where he can anchor and create lanes instead of pulling and having to get out in front and meet tacklers.

1 hour ago, GleasonForever! said:

Not with this front office. Got to be overpaid and average to get traded for (Levitre)

13 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

<_< So... What your correcting me is saying... IF it is a free agent its a good deal, IF its a trade than they will be overpaid???

No, what I'm saying is that the above quote is what I responded to which specifically mentioned trades. The person who typed that post clearly only has a year long memory span though.

11 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

No, what I'm saying is that the above quote is what I responded to which specifically mentioned trades. The person who typed that post clearly only has a year long memory span though.

And his first part is a direct shot of how the front office works. Which is why I included another good player just like you did.

And you are once again correct regarding his short memory span.

23 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

And his first part is a direct shot of how the front office works. Which is why I included another good player just like you did.

And you are once again correct regarding his short memory span.

gotcha. I've noticed the negative people on the board are negative about any and everything any chance they get and they refer to themselves as 'realists'

Wouldn't a 'realist' have some positive views on some things as well?

3 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Not sure, just a little Leary is all.:ninja:

Bad puns is what I do you son of a......

Think everyone's point has been made as far as comments not really related to the topic of the thread. Back on topic I just don't see the guy as a good fit but I'm just going off of what I've read in the thread so....