Upshaw FA move...Dled article...

Dled did a decent job. 

Save for the error in the title...LOL

Former Alabama start Upshaw elated to be close to home

By D. Orlando Ledbetter - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Posted: 11:21 a.m. Tuesday, May 24, 2016

FLOWERY BRANCH — For former Baltimore Ravens standout Courtney Upshaw, it was a simple matter of geography.

The native of Eufala, Ala., who played at Alabama in college, selected the Falcons after also receiving interest from the Jets, Patriots and 49ers during free agency.

“It was close to home,” said Upshaw, who signed a one-year $1.25 million contract in March. “I felt like if I was going to play anywhere, one-year and try to get a long-term deal, it would be here. I talked to my agent and he said Atlanta was in play, so we decided to come here.”

Upshawreceived the star treatment during free agency.

“I met with the coaches, coach Richard Smith and coach (Bryan) Cox,” Upshaw said. “Coach (Dan) Quinn and I went out to dinner. I felt the vibe and it was great. It was definitely a place where I wanted to be. Just being here for the offseason workouts has been great.”

+Former Alabama start Upshaw elated to be close to home photo
Defensive end Derrick Shelby (left) knocks the ball away from Courtney Upshaw during a drill at practice Monday, May 23, 2016, ... Read More

When in Seattle, Quinn and his staff were able to elevate the level of play of free agents Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril from their previous stops in Tampa Bay and Detroit, respectively.

His Atlanta staff is hoping to find the limits of Upshaw, a former second-round pick by the Baltimore Ravens, who’s 6-foot-2 and 272 pounds.

“At the (defensive end) position, a little three technique and (defensive) linemen,” Upshaw said is where the Falcons told him they wanted to see him play. “They are trying to figure out where they want to play me. I’m just trying to learn every position that they want me to learn. So that I can go in there and compete.”

Upshaw, 26, started 51 games over the past four seasons. He helped the Ravens win a Super Bowl amassed 183 tackles, five sacks, seven passes breakups and three forced fumbles for the Ravens.

“He’s a big man so you can see just from the end of the line how hard it is to run over to his side so we’re going to put him at defensive end,” Quinn said. “I know he can play (strongside) linebacker, so we’re going to try him at some defensive end this spring and see what that looks like.

“As we get closer to it we’ll navigate the roles, but now’s the time, in my opinion, to create the experiments. What you can do and see if we can have the vision for the player come to life.”

Some really good stuff right here:

“At the (defensive end) position (probably LEO), a little three technique (probably in nickel) and (defensive) linemen (probably 5T DE in base),” Upshaw said is where the Falcons told him they wanted to see him play. “They are trying to figure out where they want to play me. I’m just trying to learn every position that they want me to learn. So that I can go in there and compete.”

“He’s a big man so you can see just from the end of the line how hard it is to run over to his side so we’re going to put him at defensive end,” Quinn said. “I know he can play (strongside) linebacker, so we’re going to try him at some defensive end this spring and see what that looks like.

As we get closer to it we’ll navigate the roles, but now’s the time, in my opinion, to create the experiments. What you can do and see if we can have the vision for the player come to life.”

I'm sure the coaches have some ideas how the pieces fit, or how they want them to fit, but for right now they are just trying multiple people at multiple positions to see where everyone can fit the best. As we get closer to the season they'll start trimming down on the experiments and begin to more clearly define the roles for all of the players.

Edited by RandomFan

3 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Some really good stuff right here:

I'm sure the coaches have some ideas how the pieces fit, or how they want them to fit, but for right now they are just trying multiple people at multiple positions to see where everyone can fit the best. As we get closer to the season they'll start trimming down on the experiments and begin to more clearly define the roles for all of the players.

Agreed.  Just to add an additional point to your comments, Quinn is also seeing who can shine in multiple positions so he can attack from any defensive package or look that we give the O.  We show one thing, then boom, we hit em with a surprise!  

I loved last year when Vic Beasley picked that ball off.

19 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Upshaw, 26, started 51 games over the past four seasons. He helped the Ravens win a Super Bowl amassed 183 tackles, five sacks, seven passes breakups and three forced fumbles for the Ravens.

Awful grammar here!  Don't see how he made it out of college with a journalism degree.  Can't graduate with all Ds and Fs.  

1 hour ago, NCCooley said:

Awful grammar here!  Don't see how he made it out of college with a journalism degree.  Can't graduate with all Ds and Fs.  

Well done amigo.  The more you examine his work, the more atrocious his work is proven to be.  Just awful.

And I promise that I posted this with every good intention.  I wonder what the AJC management team would do if we sent them copies of all the Dled errors?  If it were printed, you'd need a dump truck to carry it on site.  

The driver would have to back up to the AJC front door, pull the dump lever, then pull away leaving a mountain of highlighted mistakes at their stoop!  LOL, they'd probably ignore it.  

Because my wife has me on this "thing" where she wants me to be a little nicer to people no matter the situation, I'll just say this...

He seems like a nice guy and I appreciate the tiny bits of info hidden in that god-awful grammatical disaster he calls an article. 

Edited by Beast-N-Da-Sheetz

12 minutes ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

Because my wife has me on this "thing" where she wants me to be a little nicer to people no matter the situation, I'll just say this...

He seems like a nice guy and I appreciate the the tiny bits of info hidden in that god-awful grammatical disaster he calls an article. 

Indeed.  Criticize his work, but understand he's a human being like us.  I'm ok with that too.  

For me it's more about a certified, professional journalist, employed by a major publication, submitting unedited material to the public & it going unchecked, unnoticed & uncorrected for how many years?  

In this day and age it's almost unbelievable that this could even happen. I have gotten to the point that I believe the AJC is well aware of it & fully intends to do nothing about it.  It's their way of poking people.  

Not to mention the rest of the non-truths & bilge they report in other sections of that fish wrap.

Well it's amusing to say the least.

27 minutes ago, ltstorm2 said:

Its the editors over at the AJC that should be jobless with these errors that they let get published. Their job is to literally make sure this doesn't happen.  

Clearly, they aren't editing Ledbetter's work.  They just aren't.  Otherwise this couldn't be happening.

And b4 anyone says they are inept too, that's a very long stretch of imagination to believe that many folks could be lacking in grammar skills.