Petition to Hold J Timberlake Accountable for Theft of Black Culture?

Guest marla_mulder

Guest marla_mulder

Yes. This is actually a thing. Heard it on the radio this afternoon and had to go look it up... figured it'd be from the onion or something--but this petition actually exists. Granted, it doesn't have many signatures, but the fact that there are 49 people brain dead enough to sign this thing is amazing to me. 

Here's the link to the petition: Click

Here is the description of the petition, for those who don't want to click the link:

Justin Timberlake has made a career out of culturally appropriating his music, looks, and just about everything else from the black community. This should be a crime and it needs to stop. It's okay for white artists to appreciate black music, but they shouldn't do black music. This is racism and white privilege out of control. 

A few comments from "supporters":

Edited by marla_mulder

Kinda feel like documenting incredulity towards non starter petitions waving social justice language around the way Tommy Wiseau wields the language of cinema only serves only to push the least constructive fringes of a larger discussion to the forefront.

44 minutes ago, marla_mulder said:

So we can't point out ridiculousness when we see it just for the sake of laughing at idiots because everything in life must be taken super seriously and we should  only have these "larger discussions" that are oh so constructive?

M'kay 

It's how the internet becomes an echo chamber. A few nobodies say something as self-important as it is profoundly inconsequential, folks latch onto it because it's a ridiculous caricature of a larger topic and it's easy to see that it's ridiculous, and everyone that comments on it can agree on its ridiculousness. It's like taking down the Westboro Baptist Church or some pop star's laughable gender politics.

4 minutes ago, marla_mulder said:

I think that's part of the problem though. People take themselves, and others,  far too seriously.  Sure, some topics deserve serious discussion.  There are those in society that look at every story, every incident as some kind of injustice or opportunity to be a victim.  In this case,  some of these people take "cultural appropriation" so seriously that they have convinced themselves that a white guy can't even sing "black music." 

To me, it's similar to the subject of bullying.  Most of us have had to face bullying or adversity at some point in our lives, but kids today can't handle it and are committing suicide instead of dealing with it. It's terribly sad.  Yes, we need to address bullying and put a stop to it as much as we can...but we also need to teach our kids how to handle adversity without taking their own lives.

Similarly,  there are a lot of millennials (of which I am one) who need to learn that it's not a crime or an injustice to be exposed to differing opinions. You don't have to be offended by everything. Sometimes life just sucks, and it's not necessarily because someone else did something to you...it's just life sometimes.

I realize some things are serious and need to be looked at seriously, but I think there'd be a whole lot more happy people if everyone could learn to lighten up and enjoy life a little. It's not necessary to walk through life with a secret decoder ring to find out what every person and every statement "really " means.

Just my philosophy tho. ;)

FTR, most of the people in the comments are obviously either playing around or are offended by the petition rather than what it addresses, and the petition itself doesn't actually say anything beyond the quote you posted. Plus, for whatever reason, it's addressed specifically to Obama, Loretta Lynch and Al Sharpton. It's most likely either a joke petition or something a lazy student wrote for a social studies or sociology 101 class assignment to say that they "raised awareness" for a topical issue. 

31 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

I've still never understood why everyone got pissed off at Janet Jackson. Justin was the one that grabbed her boob and ripped that thing off. 

Everyone blames the woman.  I saw something the other day that, even as a Christian, struck me as hilarious.  It was a meme that said "my favorite part of the Bible is the part where Jesus told men to pluck out their eyes instead of blaming the women for how they were dressed."

Why even give this the attention? It's silly and an obvious means to get the ire of certain people. 

This is right up there with people attempting to sue an entire foreign country because they lost a loved one in a terrorist attack that happened in the country they were visiting. It's pointless to attempt.

Not that I'm comparing Timberlake to a terrorist attack. (although mainstream radio playing Cry Me A River ten times a day would rate up there as one.)