OTA news and notes - Day 1 - March 23rd

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Falcon Ben said:

Please tell me you didn't just quote that entire message to make that comment. 

43 minutes ago, UGABOZ said:

Please tell me you did not quote my quote to ask me that, good lord what a joke

9 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

Please tell me you didn't quote his quote about your quote. 

That's right.  I quoted the quote, the quote about his quote, and the quote about quoting about his quote.

5 hours ago, Byrdman242424 said:

Sooooo, did Matt throw the interception? Picking up from where he left off last season, huh? Sheesh. Let's AT LEAST hope it wasn't in the red zone.

Is this kind of comment really necessary, dude? I guess you were trying to be witty or funny but I don't see what we get out of bashing our star QB when you had to ask if it was even him throwing the ball. In case you forgot, our backup set an NFL record for pick 6's so to just assume it was Ryan just so you could talk bad about him doesn't seem fan-like.

8 minutes ago, King Jigsaw said:

Is this kind of comment really necessary, dude? I guess you were trying to be witty or funny but I don't see what we get out of bashing our star QB when you had to ask if it was even him throwing the ball. In case you forgot, our backup set an NFL record for pick 6's so to just assume it was Ryan just so you could talk bad about him doesn't seem fan-like.

Well, not Falcon fan-like

6 hours ago, RandomFan said:

7 quick takes from the first day of Falcons’ OTAs

http://atlantafalcons.blog.ajc.com/2016/05/23/7-quick-takes-from-the-first-day-of-falcons-otas/

FLOWERY BRANCH – The Falcons just completed their first day of OTAs on Monday.

Here are seven quick takes from the first session, which was attended by owner Arthur Blank:

1. Injury update. Returner Devin Hester (ankle/foot), right guard Chris Chester (shoulder) and center James Stone (knee) did not participate in the practice. Defensive tackle Grady Jarrett was at the session early according to a team official. But we didn’t see him until near the end of practice without his helmet.

2. Second string. Quarterback Matt Schaub took the snaps with the second string offense.

3. Right guard. With Chester out, Mike Person took the work with the first team at right guard. (I like how DLED just assumes it's not Person's spot to begin with. I suspect it will be Person who wins the RG job in the end anyway)

4. Right cornerback. Robert Alford lined up at right cornerback with the first team’s base defense. (DLED has been pushing that agenda for a while now, that Alford would only be a nickel back this year. Haha @ DLED)

5. Punt catchers. Wide receiver David Glidden and J.D. McKissic were back catching punts early in practice.

6. Where’s Hooper. Tight end Austin Hooper wasn’t at the session. There’s likely a graduation or academic conflict that we’ll ask Coach Dan Quinn about.

7. Defensive front. With Jarrett out, the defensive line was defensive end Tyson Jackson, nose tackle Joey Mbu, defensive tackle Ra’Shede Hageman and defensive end Vic Beasley. Brooks Reed, Paul Worrilow and Sean Weatherspoon were the linebackers.

They way I understood it from the beginning is Alford will be outside in base and go to slot in nickel. Why Dled or anybody can't understand that is beyond me. 

so this all happened two months ago? wow, and we're just now hearing about it

ok this was supposed to be in purple, but didn't post that way, and edit won't let me put it in purple. I see there are still glitches in the board, no surprises there 

Edited by papachaz
2 hours ago, falconidae said:

Or was schaub throwing or was Sanu running the wrong route simply because he's in a new offense or did Trufant make a great play?

Or was it just OTAs where contact isn't allowed and it's basically just drills, so none of these reports even matter ;)

7 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

A bit concerned over the Jarrett report.  Knee tendinitis.  I mean what's special about his game is his ability to move quickly for a big guy and his low center of gravity.  

Bulked up would do nothing but put added stress there.  He does look like a big boy there.  Don't recall him having guns that big.  

Hoping it's nothing to worry about man.

It's OTAs.

All injuries will be taken more seriously than normal.

Many times during the offseason a player will be held out with an injury that, during the regular season, they likely could've just played through. 

They just don't take any chances during these practices. There's no reason to. They're much more cautious. 

12 hours ago, RandomFan said:

It's because he has short arms and tiny hands. It was the knock on him in his draft profile, and having small hands is something that is never going to change. But he's one of the best cover DB's in the game at stopping completions (the job a CB is supposed to do), and an inability to secure INT's is his only weakness.

I'll take it. But the rest of you feel free to go ahead and keep complaining about the one weakness one of our best players has. Especially something that is out of his control.  

he's been consistent at catching them since the last part of his second year so that small hands shorts arm bs is an excuse. I love Tru and wanted us to draft him but to act like its so bad to expect him to turn the corner and start making the big plays that come to him is asinine. If he makes those plays instead of just getting an incompletion (considering he has the sub 4.4 speed to take them to the house), that changes the outcome of alot of games

2 minutes ago, cwell1 said:

he's been consistent at catching them since the last part of his second year so that small hands shorts arm bs is an excuse. I love Tru and wanted us to draft him but to act like its so bad to expect him to turn the corner and start making the big plays that come to him is asinine. If he makes those plays instead of just getting an incompletion (considering he has the sub 4.4 speed to take them to the house), that changes the outcome of alot of games

And if our strong safety doesn't try to knock his head off as he does so, that might help.

14 hours ago, WORilla said:

Ummm don't all pac12 players have this problem every year because they have quarters and not semesters and they end later? 

I feel like our best reporters should look that up....

all pac12 players have an issue starting before June 1st because they're not allowed to play until the school year is completed. 

Not sure about now, but when I graduated from WSU they were on the semester system not quarters. I wonder if Deonne Buchannon had the same issue because I dont know if all PAC 12 schools are/were on semesters or quarters.