Roddy on 680 The Fan

JDaveG

I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this yet.  I didn't get to listen to the whole segment, but it was a really interesting window into things at Flowery Branch for anyone wanting to be objective (I'll try, but I'm not).

My takeaways:

Roddy didn't like the idea of the scheme being changed.  He said the offense was never a problem.  This is a common complaint here and a reasonable one, except Roddy seemed to think the new OC needed to come in and do what the players wanted, instead of thinking the players report to the coaches.  My unobjective take is that Roddy wanted status quo and didn't want to change things up that late in his career, was vocal about it, and got on the wrong side of the offensive coaching staff as a result.  Putting that aside, I get where he was coming from.  And while I don't really blame him this late in his career, it seems to me being more of a team player might have helped him stick around.

Roddy thought we did a poor job in the red zone schematically.  It's hard to tell how much of this was Roddy being objective himself or just wanting the ball.  Specifically mentioned plays where, say, Nick Williams was the first read.  

Roddy felt the offense didn't suit Matt Ryan's strengths.  Specifically mentioned rollouts and said we haven't done those since Matt was a rookie.  Problem is, we did them all throughout Mularkey's tenure, which was the first 3 years of Matt's career.  He also talked about Matt being good at reading and diagnosing the defense and finding the open man.  Where I unobjectively disagree with him is that the offense is designed to go through reads lightning fast, and once Matt has it under his belt, he'll be able to read and diagnose that much better, because it takes a lot of the pre-snap and post-snap adjustment off of his plate.  Rodgers in Green Bay is a great example of this -- no one ever talks about how Aaron Rodgers can't read a defense, but it's because he's going through the reads so fast that he's always finding the open man before the rush gets there.  That's by design in this offense.

They discussed verbiage and Roddy rightly said this is more of a problem for the QB, especially in verbiage intensive systems like the WCO, where each receiver has his route called out (so it's actually easier for them).  This was more in the context of whether he'd be able to produce for a new team, but it has implications for our system too.

Too much of the segment was red meat for the media stuff, piling on Shanahan and making hay where there wasn't hay to be made.  That's the nature of media, but the good part is they got into the nuts and bolts of it enough to make it a good segment anyway.

Even with that, Roddy indicated that he thought the Falcons would be much better on offense this year, because Matt will have another year in the system and they'll all have a better idea how to use the pieces they have.  He said Matt Ryan is not going to settle for playing poorly and he fully expects him to have a good year.

He also talked about not having signed with another team yet, indicating he was biding his time and waiting for camps to start.  I expect he'll land somewhere before preseason.

Roddy has a career in media when he's done playing.  He's a really good media presence and comes across really well.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks JDave... interesting.

Hopefully this won't get hijacked by the "we're so mean & unfair" crowd who still keep boxes of tissue on the ready.

There are several who are on the last counselling session that their insurance will cover before their out of pocket kicks in.

:ninja: couldn't resist... :D

2 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Thanks JDave... interesting.

Hopefully this won't get hijacked by the "we're so mean & unfair" crowd who still keep boxes of tissue on the ready.

There are several who are on the last counselling session that their insurance will cover before their out of pocket kicks in.

:ninja: couldn't resist... :D

:lol:

I thought it was a good interview to give some behind the scenes stuff from someone who did not get along with the coaching staff, but still had enough Xs and Os to give a good look at what is actually going on.  The radio folks were obviously playing to the "we hate Shanahan" narrative, and Roddy clearly doesn't like the dude, but even with all of that, he was pretty solid in his takes and didn't seem to be unnecessarily piling on either the staff or the team.

Roddy's salty because his role was reduced and then he was cut.  But the interview didn't come across as just sour grapes, and his criticisms were reasonable, even where I disagree with them.  It was a good listen.

I've said it before, but yeah, it became clear that they were looking more at the long term here than the short term. 

The concept is good, and can be good if well executed, but a lot of this is new, and a lot of this is stuff that Matt wasn't really pushed too hard to learn early on in his career.

They were willing to struggle some early on for the perceived better good.

The goal here is to create an offense, that, once mastered, can stand against both the bad and the good teams, similar to what we're doing with our defense.

Oh, and the fumbles certainly didn't help things either.

The bad thing about this is that Matt Ryan's career hinges on the ineptitude of this never-done-anything offensive coordinator.  

For all that Matt Ryan has done, the livelihood of his career rides on making Scamahan Jr. finally look like the genius he makes himself out to be.

He's a sorry excuse for an offensive coordinator.  Doesn't know how to call games or make his players comfortable with what they do best.  There was no excuse for our redzone issues.  That stretch run game can only get you so far in the redzone, while long developing pass plays are a defense's dream when they know they have less field to cover.

Matt can get as familiar in the system as he wants.  It doesnt matter if boy wonder is tyrannically calling the shots.

20 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I thought it was a good interview to give some behind the scenes stuff from someone who did not get along with the coaching staff, but still had enough Xs and Os to give a good look at what is actually going on.  The radio folks were obviously playing to the "we hate Shanahan" narrative, and Roddy clearly doesn't like the dude, but even with all of that, he was pretty solid in his takes and didn't seem to be unnecessarily piling on either the staff or the team.

Roddy's salty because his role was reduced and then he was cut.  But the interview didn't come across as just sour grapes, and his criticisms were reasonable, even where I disagree with them.  It was a good listen.

Same here bro.  

Nice recap, JDaveG.  Thanks...I caught a few minutes of it, but they weren't talking about anything important then.

It was good to hear Roddy though, and I liked how he still said "we" when talking about the team.  He sounded like he was in a good place.

3 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

Nice recap, JDaveG.  Thanks...I caught a few minutes of it, but they weren't talking about anything important then.

It was good to hear Roddy though, and I liked how he still said "we" when talking about the team.  He sounded like he was in a good place.

Yeah, it worried me a bit, right after he was cut, reading interviews where he just sounded bitter about the whole thing. 

I'm happy to hear that he's moved on.

Just now, HaRdH3ad said:

Honestly I'm so tired of toddy crying at this point...I just remember these same things happening with Pittsburgh when they first got Haley on offense, but now look at them 

I think Roddy needs a few Toddy's...  Man, I would love to put him on as a WR coach once he hangs em up.

47 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I watched film of this whole season and Roddy white got a ridiculous amount of snaps, considering his production and lack of separation.  He got the snaps because there weren't any other WRs on the depth chart to replace him, so he had ample opportunity to show what he had.  I witnessed a good portion of matt ryans interceptions were intended for WR.  The worst plays I saw from him were crossing routes where he simply couldn't outrun the CB, and the CB caught up and picked it off.  

Roddy white was most productive on 3rd downs tho, because we used 3 WR sets almost exclusively on those downs.  Especially when Hardy started being active on gamedays.  Roddy is serviceable as a slot WR now and his minimal production came out the slot, but we ran mostly 2 WR sets last year.  So this isn't the best scheme for him and that's why he was cut.

Yeah, when Roddy came in last year and voiced his "not wanting the offense to change" - that is a bad way to start off with new coaches - this likely got him in the doghouse early on last offseason and he dug himself a hole with Shannahan for which he could not dig himself out of in one season.   I understand the mentality of not wanting to change - especially when you are near end of your playing career but Roddy was his own worst enemy here.

If I knew how to post videos on here, I would. But go back to the Cowboys game from last season. There's one play that was basically a foreshadowing of what was to come with Roddy. Julio runs in motion underneath the line of scrimmage. Matt play actions and runs with Julio from left to right, dumps it down, touchdown. Julio celebrates and then you see Matt come into the picture first and celebrate, followed by some other guys. A very nice play call in the red zone.

But look at the entire play next time. What's Roddy doing? Roddy is also running a crossing route on the snap. He's going to the back of the end zone. You see him get across and break to the back and starts clapping his hands for the ball. Like OVERLY clapping. Like the "ME! ME! ME!" clap. Then pass goes to Julio. You see him jump up and down like a pouting toddler. He's the closest player to Julio when he scores and never goes over to celebrate with him. And we all know their relationship is like a brother hood. When I saw that, AND WE WERE WINNING, Roddy was going to check out.

It had to be done, and not the way we all wanted it to go down!

As much as I liked him, how many times did we predict a leg or calf problem "before" the season started?

As an athlete, he was probably a little too comfortable being a falcon and making millions. 

You gotta look at this a different way....................This sends a signal to everybody else, and it was much needed after the smith era. Do you're job, cuz we aint playing around no moe.