Alright let's talk gaming laptops..

So i returned 2 laptops and want to purchase a laptop with a dedicated video card at least 16 gigs of ram and a 6th generation i7.  Also has to have an SSD drive and a data drive in it.  I want to spend in the 1200 to just below 2 grand.  Obviously the more I spend the more stuff I get.  It needs to be from bestbuy due to my store credit.  Any suggestions?  Bestbuy sells MSI and Dell's Alienware.  Anyone have any recommendations?  

Alienware desktops are way overpriced since you can build your own custom pc (which is simple) with the same parts a lot cheaper. But laptops are different since you can't upgrade most of them graphicly.

With the money you save, you can upgrade your memory to 16GB and add a SSD cheaper than buying the next model up with it already installed, including a bigger SSD. The graphics can be upgraded with the amp port on this one too.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-r3-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-epic-silver/4634604.p?id=1219785907990&skuId=4634604

• 1 month later...

i want a gaming laptop for a lot of reasons.. yeah i want to play some games on it for sure.  also will be using it to do video editing as well as lots of working on photo editing.  also going to run a vmware/ovm environment for training on it.  i will be building my own desktop since the one i have is 8 years old.  i need also to buy a laptop.  i am in school as well.  need to be mobile.  

5 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

i want a gaming laptop for a lot of reasons.. yeah i want to play some games on it for sure.  also will be using it to do video editing as well as lots of working on photo editing.  also going to run a vmware/ovm environment for training on it.  i will be building my own desktop since the one i have is 8 years old.  i need also to buy a laptop.  i am in school as well.  need to be mobile.  

I got ya. I'm waiting on the pascal chips too before I upgrade my laptop. I run three cpu intensive programs at once while I'm installing/repairing radar on towers.

2 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

I got ya. I'm waiting on the pascal chips too before I upgrade my laptop. I run three cpu intensive programs at once while I'm installing/repairing radar on towers.

yeah those are going to be awesome.. the laptop chips will be desktop versions so you won't see a 1080M for instance.  they will also give you the opportunity in the future to replace them and you gotta love the DDR5 memory on them. 

1 minute ago, SacFalcFan said:

yeah those are going to be awesome.. the laptop chips will be desktop versions so you won't see a 1080M for instance.  they will also give you the opportunity in the future to replace them and you gotta love the DDR5 memory on them. 

I'm going to replace my MB on my desktop so it's DDR5 compatible. I bought a MB/cpu combo from Microcenter about 6 months ago and I didn't realize it was only DDR4. I got the Skylake i7 6600K which is fine for the next 3-5 years since I'm only surfing the net and Steam. 

17 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

I'm going to replace my MB on my desktop so it's DDR5 compatible. I bought a MB/cpu combo from Microcenter about 6 months ago and I didn't realize it was only DDR4. I got the Skylake i7 6600K which is fine for the next 3-5 years since I'm only surfing the net and Steam. 

nice..  this is a link to a number of builds I am considering.  i am thinking of building the sweeter spot.  

http://techreport.com/review/30291/the-tech-report-system-guide-june-2016-edition/8

Check out Microcenter for the cpu/mb combos cause I found them to be the cheapest. And you save a lot of money buying them together. That 1070 card is going to be a beast. I got a GTX 970 SC atm but there's no need for me to upgrade. I play on PS4 most of the time anyway. Microcenter has a big sale going on right now like a 240GB SSD for $50. 

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=Adv&Ntt=4592

19 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

Check out Microcenter for the cpu/mb combos cause I found them to be the cheapest. And you save a lot of money buying them together. That 1070 card is going to be a beast. I got a GTX 970 SC atm but there's no need for me to upgrade. I play on PS4 most of the time anyway. Microcenter has a big sale going on right now like a 240GB SSD for $50. 

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=Adv&Ntt=4592

i am taking some time off next week and plan to go by and check them out.  i am more leaning toward a 1060 than 1070 depending on cost.  the 1060 was just released and it was just 249 bucks and it performs quite well.  i would like to get my system below 1000 dollars since I am also buying a laptop.  i just need something i use for emails and the office products and my wife being able to use her photoshop stuff.  i will play some games on it, but not a lot.  like you i play ps4 most when i have time, but going to school fulltime and work i rarely have time. 

On July 8, 2016 at 7:27 PM, SacFalcFan said:

i am taking some time off next week and plan to go by and check them out.  i am more leaning toward a 1060 than 1070 depending on cost.  the 1060 was just released and it was just 249 bucks and it performs quite well.  i would like to get my system below 1000 dollars since I am also buying a laptop.  i just need something i use for emails and the office products and my wife being able to use her photoshop stuff.  i will play some games on it, but not a lot.  like you i play ps4 most when i have time, but going to school fulltime and work i rarely have time. 

If you're not gaming, you thought about an AMD APU instead of buying a graphics card? You can come out a lot cheaper. I got the A10 7700k for my daughter's pc. It runs great and the whole build was under $400. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On August 17, 2016 at 11:45 PM, SacFalcFan said:

I love MSI. I have their MB in my pc now. That laptop is powerful coupled with the GTX 1060. Have you priced an Alienware with the same specs?

12 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

I love MSI. I have their MB in my pc now. That laptop is powerful coupled with the GTX 1060. Have you priced an Alienware with the same specs?

Nothing against Alienware, but MSI FTW, and speaking of which GTX 1060/1070/1080 vs the older 970m and 980m? how big is the difference? I got an MSI with 970m 3GB Discrete memory for reference. 

Don't plan to upgrade no time soon as I only got this one 2014. 

On 9/7/2016 at 7:11 AM, SpongeDad said:

no i haven't seen the alienware yet.. i believe they have the information out there for the 13, 15, and 17.. but it's not on their website and i just can't seem to find it.  they did some type of big release a week or so ago.. asus did the same thing at pacwest 2016..  i am keeping an eye on them as well.  the big issue for me with asus is their overheating issues.  they run hot to the touch depending on how long you game.  msi does a much better job cooling.  the main issue for me with alienware is they are usually too dang heavy.  one of their laptops i was looking at with the previous version of gpu was 18 lbs.  i am trying to make sure i do all my research before i buy anything.  i am waiting for the 1050 to come out.  i can only buy from best buy so it will need to be available on that.  msi i have heard some good and bad from them also with the new systems.  the gs series which is their slimline is quite cheaply made.  also their other series gt72 and ge72 (which are 17 inch systems) while they say they are vr ready they truly have some issues with the usb power and using some of the current vr headsets.  since i won't be playings games for hours the asus issue is a minor one.  so i am considering these two systems: 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-32gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hard-drive-512gb-solid-state-drive-black/5581109.p?id=bb5581109&skuId=5581109

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-32gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-256gb-solid-state-drive-aluminum-black/5579196.p?id=bb5579196&skuId=5579196

they are a 100 bucks difference in prime, but the asus has the 1070 with 8 gb of gddr5 memory, but i can only upgrade to 32 gigs of ram.  the 2nd one i can upgrade to 64 gig of ram, but it has a 1060..  so i am trying to decide which is more impt to me.

also  the one big issue with msi is their killer networking suite which is just horrible.  lots and lots of complaints. 

20 hours ago, Zone#7 said:

Nothing against Alienware, but MSI FTW, and speaking of which GTX 1060/1070/1080 vs the older 970m and 980m? how big is the difference? I got an MSI with 970m 3GB Discrete memory for reference. 

Don't plan to upgrade no time soon as I only got this one 2014. 

here is the breakdown on the new pascal chipsets and where they line up with the previous versions: 

The replacements go like this:
980 (Desktop) -> 1080
980M -> 1070
970M -> 1060
960M/965M -> 1050

The 1060 trades blows with the 980, I expect the 1050 to perform notably better than a 960.  

37 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

here is the breakdown on the new pascal chipsets and where they line up with the previous versions: 

The replacements go like this:
980 (Desktop) -> 1080
980M -> 1070
970M -> 1060
960M/965M -> 1050

The 1060 trades blows with the 980, I expect the 1050 to perform notably better than a 960.  

Dang oh well as long as I can maintain 60 fps when gaming I'm good. I'm not about to get into "stat chasing" 1. don't have the money and 2. I don't want to end up like some gamers I've seen. 

52 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

Dang oh well as long as I can maintain 60 fps when gaming I'm good. I'm not about to get into "stat chasing" 1. don't have the money and 2. I don't want to end up like some gamers I've seen. 

i was going to get a 970 system, but it was so close to the pascal gpus that i waited a few months to see what options there were.  some of the benchmarks for the new chipsets have been something.  your 970 will be good for a while.  i am taking more time to pick out my system because i am not one to buy new systems every few years.  i like gaming, but i am getting it for other reasons like video editing, etc.  

1 minute ago, SacFalcFan said:

i was going to get a 970 system, but it was so close to the pascal gpus that i waited a few months to see what options there were.  some of the benchmarks for the new chipsets have been something.  your 970 will be good for a while.  i am taking more time to pick out my system because i am not one to buy new systems every few years.  i like gaming, but i am getting it for other reasons like video editing, etc.  

Okay guess that's what I get for reading the thread title, but wouldn't other laptops be more practical like those that use the "other" nividia gpu's? Like say K2100(think that's one I saw) cause it sounds like you need a workstation, but nothing wrong with the others cause I use my doing Unity 5 from time to time. 

49 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

Okay guess that's what I get for reading the thread title, but wouldn't other laptops be more practical like those that use the "other" nividia gpu's? Like say K2100(think that's one I saw) cause it sounds like you need a workstation, but nothing wrong with the others cause I use my doing Unity 5 from time to time. 

jmo but spending money now on the other gpus to me is a waste of money.  if you are not a gamer and the gpu doesn't matter then get your 500 to 800 dollar laptop and be happy with it since you are using integrated video and have no need for discrete video.  the new pascal chipset systems just were released in the same price range as the gpu systems they are replacing and you are getting a nice bump in performance.  if someone was looking for a 960 for instance they would wait for the 1050 since it will be a 960 in the same price range or spend a few more dollars and get a 1060.  the fact that a 1060 will give a current 980M a run for it's money really says a lot about the new chipsets.  also got to remember the 980m systems just a few months ago were a grand or more than the 1060 systems right now and yet the gpu performance is very close.  

here is some user benchmarks:  http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060/2577vs3639

just a comparison between the 970 and 1060.  the next big upgrade for nvidia is going to be 2018 with the new volta chipset coming out.  

17 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

jmo but spending money now on the other gpus to me is a waste of money.  if you are not a gamer and the gpu doesn't matter then get your 500 to 800 dollar laptop and be happy with it since you are using integrated video and have no need for discrete video.  the new pascal chipset systems just were released in the same price range as the gpu systems they are replacing and you are getting a nice bump in performance.  if someone was looking for a 960 for instance they would wait for the 1050 since it will be a 960 in the same price range or spend a few more dollars and get a 1060.  the fact that a 1060 will give a current 980M a run for it's money really says a lot about the new chipsets.  also got to remember the 980m systems just a few months ago were a grand or more than the 1060 systems right now and yet the gpu performance is very close.  

here is some user benchmarks:  http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060/2577vs3639

just a comparison between the 970 and 1060.  the next big upgrade for nvidia is going to be 2018 with the new volta chipset coming out.  

I didn't know that kinda makes me sad, but I got my MSI Dominator for $1599 at Micro Center in Duluth(Awesome store btw) SavvyFalcon recommend that place not saying there isn't better out there, but it was the only place I could find an MSI. No store in Athens I know of has a good selection like that. 

Just an extra tid bit if you get a gaming laptop or something like it recommend getting one that has built in cooling pad that's what the Dominator series of MSI laptops have underrated feature.