Favourite ever draft pick

AndySG

3 minutes ago, Slappywhite said:

i remember that day well!!!!    But i have to admit,  i love Deion but..i thought he was gonna be a bust .....: (    ok I was  being honest 

why did you think Deion was going to be a bust?  He had soooooo much confidence and he would call out Clemson student body and tell him he would return a kickoff for a TD and then would do it.   I believe Deion could do anything - and he pretty much did.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

why did you think Deion was going to be a bust?  He had soooooo much confidence and he would call out Clemson student body and tell him he would return a kickoff for a TD and then would do it.   I believe Deion could do anything - and he pretty much did.

hindsite is 20/20  and you're right. about Deion, i was just wrong. thought he was gonna be Deangelo Hall..... honestly, it didn't take long for him to become my favorite player, on the team...by far

1 minute ago, Slappywhite said:

hindsite is 20/20  and you're right. about Deion, i was just wrong. thought he was gonna be Deangelo Hall..... honestly, it didn't take long for him to become my favorite player, on the team...by far

yeah, me too.......it is very difficult to say and mean it that a cornerback is your favorite player - if Deion would not have been such an awesome kickoff and punt returner, he would not have been as much fun - having a corner that has an offensive side to his game made him much more intriguing.

19 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

yeah, me too.......it is very difficult to say and mean it that a cornerback is your favorite player - if Deion would not have been such an awesome kickoff and punt returner, he would not have been as much fun - having a corner that has an offensive side to his game made him much more intriguing.

he brought a level of excitement , never seen by me with team , and I been a fan since theres been a team... same can be said about Vick , but at a lesser extent, he screwed up a lot, dont even remember Deion screwing up.

On May 25, 2016 at 0:20 PM, g-dawg said:

it is not even close (ok, it is kind of close w/ Vick) - I know half of TATF is so young that they were babies or not born yet - but the day the Atlanta Falcons drafted Deion Sanders in 1989 was a very exciting day.  Back then most of your news still came from the local affiliates - Ch. 2, 5, 11 in Atlanta - and I remember watching the sports that night where the news cameras went to Atlanta Hartsfield airport to meet and greet Deion.  He was decked out in leather and gold chains from head-to-toe with his sunglasses and the questions were coming at Deion hard-n-fast - he was laughing/cracking jokes and you would have thought he was already a 10 year all-pro in the NFL.   Then of course, the first time he touches the ball on a punt return, he drops it, picks it up and returns it for a Touchdown  - and the rest.....as they say is history.    Deion was a great player but then he also had a great flair and style about him as well.   He is the only player to date that is the greatest player to ever play his position.

Drafting Deion Sanders was pure fun and was exhilarating!  The Dumb Smith owners let Deion walk back when the franchise tag was still in existence - Deion should have been a Falcon for life - he still might of ended up leaving but Falcons should have tried harder to keep him - they let him walk - and that, was a tragedy.

prime.jpg

Deion would be my next choice behind Vick.  The reason I can't put him at the top is simple -- he is a cornerback.  That isn't fair to him at all, but I looked at Deion as an elite defensive piece who could return kicks and do trick plays and what-not.  Amazing, outstanding, once in a lifetime player for sure.

But a QB can change the course of a franchise.  Deion was a better pro by far.  And easily as impressive a college player.  But Vick, in my mind, was going to revolutionize the game and win us a championship.  Deion did things on a football field no one had ever seen before.  Vick did those things playing a position from which nobody ever thought those things could be done.  It still makes me sad to think what his career could have been.

31 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Deion would be my next choice behind Vick.  The reason I can't put him at the top is simple -- he is a cornerback.  That isn't fair to him at all, but I looked at Deion as an elite defensive piece who could return kicks and do trick plays and what-not.  Amazing, outstanding, once in a lifetime player for sure.

But a QB can change the course of a franchise.  Deion was a better pro by far.  And easily as impressive a college player.  But Vick, in my mind, was going to revolutionize the game and win us a championship.  Deion did things on a football field no one had ever seen before.  Vick did those things playing a position from which nobody ever thought those things could be done.  It still makes me sad to think what his career could have been.

This is all that needs to be said:

Deion was the best cornerback in the HISTORY of the NFL

/discussion

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

This is all that needs to be said:

Deion was the best cornerback in the HISTORY of the NFL

/discussion

Yes.  But I didn't know that when he was drafted.  And I thought that's what Vick could be for the QB position.

Were I using my 20/20 hindsight, I'd agree.  Sitting where I was in 1989 and 2001, I didn't.

Just now, JDaveG said:

Yes.  But I didn't know that when he was drafted.  And I thought that's what Vick could be for the QB position.

Were I using my 20/20 hindsight, I'd agree.  Sitting where I was in 1989 and 2001, I didn't.

I thought Vick would be great when Falcons drafted him

I KNEW Deion would be great.   He had the game, he had the swag and he had the confidence.....Now, there was not a lot of projection for how great a corner could be - but he just had that "IT" quality.

My favorite pick of the Falcons, would have to be Steve Bartkowski, but I was to young to know about the draft back then.  Other notables for me are William Andrews, Primetime, Vick, Julio, and one of my favorite O-linemen, Jake Matthews.  As a former O-lineman, I like the mean and nasty streak he can have, but still plays the game very clean.  I hope the Falcons never let him go.

My least favorite pick would have to be Aundray Bruce.

I would probably have to go with Jimmy Williams.  We had a pretty nasty defense in those days, and I thought we had just drafted an elite corner to pair with DHall to become even nastier. 

In my defense, J. Williams did actually have a pretty good rookie year.  But after that, he completely fell apart.  Still bums me out.  I remember watching his college highlight film, and the guy seemed like he was born to be an elite corner or safety.  I think he just didn't want it bad enough once he got to the NFL.

1 hour ago, The Legendary SB said:

Best draft pick should be best player at the lowest cost (in pick).  That would be Jesse Tuggle who didn't even cost a pick (UDFA).  So Jesse Tuggle is our best pick ever.

But that's not what I am asking. It's favourite draft pick rather than best. Who were you most pleased with us drafting at the time?

On 5/22/2016 at 1:46 PM, delaigle said:

The truth  

the 1st pick in the 1966 draft--I had no idea who it would be ---BUT  he would be the first Falcon ever drafted-----Turned out to be Tommy Nobis

I would have been just a excited no matter who it was 

That pick made it all real to me 

note he wasn't the first Falcon --they had already signed aome FAs

MORE RECENT  Jake Matthews --I had been whining about the bad O-line for a few years

Yep I was more excited with Atlanta's very first draft pick, Tommy Nobis, than anyone else,  and rightfully so.

"Tommy Nobis was one of the most prolific linebackers in the history of the NFL. Below is a recap of his incredible career and life after football.

Career Recap:

Tommy Nobis

• Was the first ever player drafted by the Atlanta Falcons organization in the inaugural 1966 season. Tommy quickly became the first ever Falcon voted to the Pro Bowl.
  • "Mr. Falcon" led the team in tackles in nine of his 11 seasons, earning five trips to the Pro Bowl.
  • After his 46th consecutive NFL game, he underwent knee surgery in 1969 and on the other knee in 1971. Known for his toughness, Nobis came back from both surgeries to earn another Pro Bowl spot in 1972.
  • In a poll conducted in 1970 by ABC to pick the best athlete of the decade of the 1960s, running back O.J. Simpson was number one, and Tommy Nobis was number two in the entire country.
  • Tommy had an astronomical 294 total combined tackles as a rookie, still the team's club record.
  • Tommy also intercepted 11 passes during his professional career, returning two for touchdowns, and getting fined $100 each time for throwing the ball into the stands.
  • His uniform #60 was the first one the Falcons ever retired and it's been worn by only him during the team's 45 years.

Awards:

• Five Pro Bowls: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1970 and 1972.
  • NFL Rookie of the Year in 1966.
  • Voted into the Hall of Fame of the National Collegiate Football Foundation, the State of Texas Hall of Fame and the State of Georgia Hall of Fame.
  • Named to Sports Illustrated's All-Century Team (1869-1969).
  • Won both the Outland and Maxwell Trophy as best college player.

College Career:

• The most outstanding lineman in college football, he won both the Outland and Maxwell trophies at the University of Texas.
  • He played both ways - offense and defense - his entire collegiate career.
  • He played both offensive guard and linebacker for Darrel Royal on the Texas Longhorns team that won the 1963 national championship over Staubach and Navy. In 1964, the 10-1 Longhorns beat Namath and Alabama in the Orange Bowl.
  • Was a two-time All-American, once as offensive guard and once as linebacker.

Quotes:

• Dolphins running back Larry Csonka: "I'd rather play against **** Butkus than Nobis."
  • Cowboys legendary coach Tom Landry: "Nobis was as fast as most backs. In my opinion, he was a super player."
  • Bears tight end Mike Ditka: "It was not one thing he did, it was everything he did. He was an old-fashioned linebacker. He didn't call attention to himself. He went out and played it."
  • Former Falcons head coach Dan Reeves: "As a running back for eight seasons in the NFL, I certainly took my share of hits. Unfortunately I remember some of them, particularly the ones from Falcons linebacker Tommy Nobis. 'Mr. Falcon,' as he is known in this part of the country, should be considered a worthy candidate for the Hall of Fame. I played and coached on some great teams while I was with Dallas. Those teams consisted of Hall of Fame members like Bob Lilly, Roger Staubach and Tom Landry. I feel that Nobis' contributions on the field merit those of the Cowboys Hall of Fame players. Before the days of mass media and cable television, the play of Nobis stood a good chance of being missed due to the Falcons' lack of success during his tenure. I think we need to count on the members of the media to help keep his legacy alive and teach our younger fans of his playing days. If you talk to the players of his era, they will certainly name Nobis as one of the game's most fierce competitors."
  • AJC Columnist and Hall of Fame Voter Furman Bisher: "There isn't much more one can say about Tommy Nobis. In the glow of a winning team, where he would have been a star on the isolated camera, he would already have been residing in Canton. It's not a Falcons thing, it's a Nobis thing, and here is a man who lives up to all the ideals I would establish for admission to the Pro Football Hall of Fame."

Tommy off the Field:

• Member of the front office for more than 30 years following an 11-year playing career.
  • Founder and volunteer board member of Nobis Works (formerly Tommy Nobis Center) that began in 1977 to provide vocational training to persons with disabilities. That has grown from operating out of a trailer into a 52,000 sq. ft. state-of-the-art center in Marietta with an $11M annual operating budget.
  • Won Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr. award for working with the Georgia Special Olympics.
  • Was NFL Man of the Year winner (Dodge and Vitalis)
  • 2008 Recipent of WXIA-TV Community Service Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Community.

Personal:

• Born September 20, 1943 in San Antonio, Texas.
  • As a high school sophomore, he was a 150-pound QB who didn't letter. As a junior, he earned his first letter as a 185-pound LB.
  • He and his wife, Lynn, have three children: Tommy, III, Kevin and Devon and have lived in Atlanta since 1966.
  • He has two daughters-in-law (Mindi and Mandi) and six grandchildren.

Nobis' Notebook:

• The red-headed Nobis was so popular in college, he was on the covers of both Sports Illustrated magazine on October 18, 1965 and Life magazine on December 10, 1965.
  • He was recruited by the Falcons of the NFL and the Oilers of the AFL in a "war" that saw an astronaut (Frank Borman of Gemini 7) actually talk back to earth from space to "tell Nobis to sign with Houston."
  • Tommy took time to visit the troops in Vietnam in the late 1960s during the war through the USO tours sponsored by the NFL, one of the most memorable trips of his life.
  • Coach Norm Van Brocklin pointed to Nobis' locker at the Stadium and proclaimed: "There's where our football team dresses." NFL players league-wide respected Nobis' efforts and abilities.
  • One of his most exciting games as a Falcon came on Monday Night Football in 1973 when the Falcons (then 6-3) faced the 9-0 Minnesota Vikings of Fran Tarkenton at Atlanta Fulton-County Stadium. "I got goose bumps coming out of the tunnel. That was the loudest and wildest crowd I'd ever seen." The Falcons responded with a 20-14 upset with Nobis making a fumble-producing tackle to save the win en route to the Falcons' first winning season.
  •  
  • http://www.nobisworks.org/tommy-nobis

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 1:04 PM, JDaveG said:

Mike Vick. I have never been so fired up to have a rookie on the team. Not before or since. 

Hindsight is 20/20, but man I was really stoked at the time. 

The Vick trade really stands out even today, we gave up our number 5 pick, our second, I believe our fourth, and Tim Dwight (who I really liked) to San Diego.    Not exactly cheap, but when you look at the trades being made today for number one or two picks....

SD drafted Tomlinson with our former first.  And wasn't it the Falcons former 2nd rounder that the Chargers used on a certain NO QB who haunts us to this day?